Dreamland chart positions

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Philby2

Re: Dreamland chart positions

#46 Post by Philby2 »

Dreamland will sell (combined downloads, streams, and eventual CDs with possible 12" vinyl) more than any PSB single since Love etc, whilst probably never troubling the Top 100 UK combined singles chart. These sales will be garnered from Sept 11th, when it became available, right up to and beyond the album release in January, with little boosts here and there due to airplay (for next few weeks) and maybe if they do a 'Strictly' TV appearance, and again when the single is part of the album release promo. Over time, the song will be a bigger seller than one might think.

The upside of the modern era of measuring a songs sales is that the song is always there and available, unlike the days of physical copies in a record shop, which was a much shorter window of sale opportunity. Neil and Chris are not fretting, and it is their career.

Another point i'd like to make is, as a gay fella i do not regard Dreamland as a love song between Neil and Olly. The same as i don't regard the "I love you more than you love me" refrain of Electronic's Getting away with it as a literal lament between Neil and Bernard. Its 2 singers singing a song to the world, not to each other. At least thats i what i take it from it. The beauty is that we can each take what we we so desire from all songs lyrics and vocal delivery. Definitely not a gay love song though to my gay ears.

Disco.

#47 Post by Disco. »

It seems like Dreamland, has kind of stabilized on I-Tunes it has not left the Top 100, and has now moved back op to #82. Ultimate has done the same it was down to #63 but has started to move up again, and is currently at #43.

Philby2

#48 Post by Philby2 »

I don't think Dreamland has left the UK iTunes top 100 since it debuted almost a fortnight ago. The last few PSB singles were in and out within a few days.

And these are actual sales, at 0.99p (rather than 0.49, which a lot of the other top 100 songs are), not streams.

Chart position does not really matter, its the combined units that are meaningful, weeks and months down the line, and Dreamland has already sold more than Say it to me, Twenty something, and possibly even The Pop Kids. If it hasn't yet outsold the latter, it soon will do.

Not making the top 5/ 10/ 40/ 100 overall chart does not make the 117th (or something) PSB single release more shit than the 4th one.

Disco.

#49 Post by Disco. »

Ultimate is at #170 in the U.K Top 200. It’s at # 19 in Downloads Album Chart , and Discography is at# 81.
Dreamland is at # 187 in the AirPlay chart down from #154 with 402 plays.
Last edited by Disco. on Tue 01 Oct 2019, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

E-Mail Vampire

#50 Post by E-Mail Vampire »

#88 in the UK sales chart this week (down from #38)

Nickname

#51 Post by Nickname »

With the physical single release, the song is going to last a bit more in the charts.

retrofuturist

#52 Post by retrofuturist »

Apologies if I missed it, but has anyone shared the first week ACTUAL UK SINGLES chart position yet?

I'm guessing it landed outside the Top 100 and we have no industry boffins here nowadays who can find out what's happening south of 100?

Nothing on Wikipedia yet - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Shop_ ... aphy#2010s

Retro. :)

Disco.

#53 Post by Disco. »

Not in the Top 200.

domino

#54 Post by domino »

According to Wikipedia it was #71 in Scotland.
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

Disco.

#55 Post by Disco. »

And#55 in Wales.

Disco.

#57 Post by Disco. »

Thats their highest position in 10 years !

ssss1

#58 Post by ssss1 »

That's fantastic. Although I'm not too bothered about chart positions anymore (as I don't follow the charts), I'm really pleased to see this. Hope it climbs even more, it deserves to. Bring on the new album!

Nickname

#59 Post by Nickname »

It's only Radio 2.

Thank you Radio 2. If you didn't exist, PSB's new songs wouldn't get airplay in UK.

Patrick Bateman

#60 Post by Patrick Bateman »

nickname wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019, 3:50 pm Thank you Radio 2. If you didn't exist, PSB's new songs wouldn't get airplay in UK.
If Radio 2 was the only radio station in the UK, PSB's new songs would be number one.