DREAMWORLD TOUR

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Pertan

Re: DREAMWORLD TOUR

#376 Post by Pertan » Mon 03 Feb 2020, 10:20 am

Dog wrote:
Mon 03 Feb 2020, 9:53 am
Pertan wrote:Neil in an interview:

We will probably have some costume changes, but I think we are moving away from video films and lasers.
We will move backwards in time :up: :dance:
Which interview was this please? Interesting if they are doing the new through to old thing.

Interview in Swedeish papers...

PETHEAD72

#377 Post by PETHEAD72 » Mon 03 Feb 2020, 10:33 am

Dog wrote:
Mon 03 Feb 2020, 8:20 am
Greendrake wrote:Does anyone feel not so much excited about this tour?

It's a greatest hits tour. The first one for them. Targeting the general public and money-making.

They will be playing "hits" only, which means all the songs that many fans have been longing to see performed live (I want to wake up, The resurrectionist, Miserablism, The end of the world etc.) definitely won't have a chance.

There will be no all of the Monkey business dancers and Chris won't be dancing either. Confirmed by him. You can only hope he will turn around a couple of times like he did at the TV performances.

Setlist-wise, the tour won't be much different from Super. Surely they'll play Monkey business and maybe another Hotspot song. Surely there will be Go West and New York City boy again. Sorry, but this is all just booooooooring.

I only hope the performance itself will bring something new (as it will be not Es Devlin anymore).
Could you not get excited about the prospect of hearing:

So hard
Can you forgive her?
Rent
Drunk
Where the streets have no name
Flamboyant
Heart
Paninaro
What have I done to deserve this?
It’s alright
Monkey business
Dreamland

They’ve ruled out New York City boy.
That would be brilliant if they included these tracks...as for New York city boy...this is great news!!!
You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

Oi!...got far to go have you?!... :lol:

Dog

#378 Post by Dog » Mon 03 Feb 2020, 8:00 pm

Neil has given away a surprising amount about the setlist so far. Songs he’s said they’ll likely be playing:

Dreamland
Monkey business
You only tell me you love me when you’re drunk
So hard
Rent
Being boring

And at the Manchester Q&A he mooted the idea of playing Paninaro.

Songs they won’t be playing:

New York City boy

He’s also said the setlist will focus on their top 20 hits and “more recent songs that weren’t hits but sound like hits to us”. And he’s said that they went through their most played songs on Spotify when compiling it.

Apparently they’ve also said that they’ll be playing the songs in reverse chronological order.

With all that in mind, here’s my latest guess at their Dreamworld setlist. I’ve gone for two sets and an encore, and I’ve also tried to prioritise here and there songs that fit the above criteria but haven’t featured on recent tours, assuming they want to please hardcore fans as well as first-timers. Assuming Stuart Price is involved there’ll be some mash-ups and medleys along the way.

Dreamland
The pop kids
Vocal
Love etc
I’m with Stupid
Flamboyant
A red letter day
Se a vida e
Paninaro
Go West

Can you forgive her?
So hard
It’s alright
Left to my own devices
Domino dancing
Heart
Always on my mind
Rent
What have I done to deserve this?
It’s a sin
Suburbia
West End girls

Monkey business
Being boring
Woof.

MrTennant

#379 Post by MrTennant » Tue 04 Feb 2020, 12:27 am

Dog wrote:
Mon 03 Feb 2020, 8:00 pm
Neil has given away a surprising amount about the setlist so far. Songs he’s said they’ll likely be playing:

Dreamland
Monkey business
So hard
Rent
Being boring

New York City boy

He’s also said the setlist will focus on their top 20 hits and “more recent songs that weren’t hits but sound like hits to us”. And he’s said that they went through their most played songs on Spotify when compiling it.

Apparently they’ve also said that they’ll be playing the songs in reverse chronological order.

With all that in mind, here’s my latest guess at their Dreamworld setlist. I’ve gone for two sets and an encore, and I’ve also tried to prioritise here and there songs that fit the above criteria but haven’t featured on recent tours, assuming they want to please hardcore fans as well as first-timers. Assuming Stuart Price is involved there’ll be some mash-ups and medleys along the way.

I think it's a good concert for medleys of minor hits.

rashomon

#380 Post by rashomon » Tue 04 Feb 2020, 9:14 am

Dog wrote:
Mon 03 Feb 2020, 8:00 pm

Dreamland
Monkey business
So hard
Rent
Being boring

New York City boy

You had me at Drunk, you had me at So Hard, you had me at Rent, you had me at Being Boring

Look I know this is a greatest hits thing - but so what - those are still magnificent and it's part and parcel of the PSB canon and not really a dud amongst them.

Yes, definitely nice to hear a few lesser known (to the public) tracks but I suspect from what Neil is saying that we will get those as well.

For the 'sounds like hits' I'd like Vocal (almost guaranteed), Flamboyant, Burn and In the night
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Dog

#381 Post by Dog » Tue 04 Feb 2020, 9:25 am

Well, Flamboyant was a UK no. 12, so a bona fide hit there.
Woof.

RMC

#382 Post by RMC » Tue 04 Feb 2020, 11:45 am

Just added Hull UK on June 24th - extra date.

Dog

#383 Post by Dog » Tue 04 Feb 2020, 7:37 pm

RMC wrote:Just added Hull UK on June 24th - extra date.
Back to the UK for Glastonbury weekend. A good indication ticket sales are healthy as well.
Woof.

Patrick Bateman

#384 Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue 04 Feb 2020, 8:43 pm

Hull is Brexit territory.

domino

#385 Post by domino » Tue 04 Feb 2020, 9:08 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Tue 04 Feb 2020, 8:43 pm
Hull is Brexit territory.
So play Decide as an opener?! :wink:
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

wieske

#386 Post by wieske » Wed 05 Feb 2020, 12:17 pm

Two more places left and the O2 Arena in Londen is completely sold out... How great to notice Pet Shop Boys can still sell out big venues anno 2020!
Don't give me all your northern pain
Don't sell me New York in the rain
Let's leave our promises behind
Rewind and try again

RMC

#387 Post by RMC » Wed 05 Feb 2020, 12:29 pm

wieske wrote:
Wed 05 Feb 2020, 12:17 pm
Two more places left and the O2 Arena in Londen is completely sold out... How great to notice Pet Shop Boys can still sell out big venues anno 2020!
And they are resale tickets!

Not sure what is going on at Manchester one day it’s virtually sold out, now the entire back higher section is available again.

MrTennant

#388 Post by MrTennant » Thu 06 Feb 2020, 11:51 am

What’s going to be in the Greatest Hits tour?

There’s a desire to show songs from different eras next to each other and that will stand up pretty equally. In a normal tour we ration the greatest hits. For instance a record we made years ago I’ve always quite liked is our cover of U2’s Where the Streets Have No Name going into Can’t Take My Eyes Off You. It makes me smile just talking about it. That’s coming out of mothballs for the tour. We haven’t done Rent for a while. Love Comes Quickly. Jealousy. Hits we did with other people – What Have I Done to Deserve This, Losing My Mind we did for Liza (Minnelli), Hello Spaceboy we did with David Bowie …

domino

#389 Post by domino » Thu 06 Feb 2020, 1:16 pm

MrTennant wrote:
Thu 06 Feb 2020, 11:51 am
What’s going to be in the Greatest Hits tour?

There’s a desire to show songs from different eras next to each other and that will stand up pretty equally. In a normal tour we ration the greatest hits. For instance a record we made years ago I’ve always quite liked is our cover of U2’s Where the Streets Have No Name going into Can’t Take My Eyes Off You. It makes me smile just talking about it. That’s coming out of mothballs for the tour. We haven’t done Rent for a while. Love Comes Quickly. Jealousy. Hits we did with other people – What Have I Done to Deserve This, Losing My Mind we did for Liza (Minnelli), Hello Spaceboy we did with David Bowie …
Is this from an interview?
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

leesmapman

#390 Post by leesmapman » Thu 06 Feb 2020, 1:35 pm

yes, australian interview together with confirmation of a DVD/BR release of It couldn't happen here and some news about a track they wrote the same day as Rent which will end up as a b-side on the new single. Good interview :-)