DREAMWORLD TOUR

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
minimal

Re: DREAMWORLD TOUR

#226 Post by minimal » Sun 10 Nov 2019, 12:22 pm

I've been to every PSB tour since Release and frankly I can tell that I've had enough of It's a sin, Go West, West End girls etc. being played live. It's totally natural that these will be played but it's not what I'm going for these days. If at all I'm going for songs like I get excited or Do I have to? However, I wish PSB would be more brave in creating setlists for their tours. I mean: Their shows get more expensive each time we have the chance to witness them but at the same time the originality decreases. As I've said in another thread: They're playing on full effect rather than creating something artistic, something truly unique. Sure that's needed to entertain the masses and it's good for them that it works that way but I miss the days where I felt there's some intimacy shared between them and me - a moment where I felt understood. But the latter is more about growing up and coming of age, really.

It's basically the same with the music: It sounds more genetic today.

It's the same with the music videos: There aren't any or we all we get is lyrics videos which, at least IMHO, nobody actually needs or cares for.

It's the same with the artwork: The Dreamland cover looks like someone used Paint to include the artist name and song title. It's ugly and looks amateurish.

It's the same with the photpgraphs: There aren't any great photographs of them.

And it's the same with the remixes: All we get is the basic stuff. Gone are the says where they'd employ future stars of their genre.

They just don't appear as ambitious orcreative nowadays. I guess that's part of the process when you're running a business so long. But then again I think it's even more important to find and employ new people to work with instead of getting to work with the same people over and over again. They need to be pushed out of their comfort zone, dare I say.

For me, basically, the 'magic' is gone. PSB up to 2009 have been a mystery to me. Now I feel there's not much of a story to be told anymore.

I'm not complaining. It's just the way I feel about this institution.

There's been a time I felt totally overwhelmed when attening a PSB show. Now I feel ... not much, really.

All I find is that we still get some great music every couple of years. And as long as that's the case I'll follow them I suppose. But I don't actually feel any excitement anymore. Thankfully, there's tons of artists out there who still manage to fascinate me.

But in case of PSB, there's basically a lack in everything described above and therefore a lack in everything POP music stands for.

m+

Nickname

#227 Post by Nickname » Sun 10 Nov 2019, 1:23 pm

I'm not going to reply all the things said by Minimal above because I think some thing he says are correct but I'm not agree with some other things.

I mean, you can be ambitious with your old hits and they were specially with these shows:

- Nightlife: creating new versions of songs like What have I done to deserve this?, Being Boring, It's alright, etc. These versions could compete with the original version of the songs. On musical terms, it was one of the most ambitious tours of PSB's career. Specially when you take into account the remake of the old songs.

- Pandemonium, Performance: I think both were ambitious from a conceptual stage design view. Maybe it's not so related to PSB but Es Devlin and stage designers. Anyway, it's quite ambitious too.

Anyway, for a GREATEST HITS TOUR, PSB could try to make the most ambitious stage design to date and very representative of all their career. Specially, if the price is expensive they have more money to do that. :mrgreen:

romy

#228 Post by romy » Mon 11 Nov 2019, 10:47 am

Can`t wait for the concerts.These big arenas,all will sold out-great.

What do you think,we had Inner Sanctum as opener at last,before that Axis -now we have the Greatest Hits Tour,which hit we can expect as opener?Very difficult,in my opinion.

minimal

#229 Post by minimal » Mon 11 Nov 2019, 10:50 am

romy wrote:
Mon 11 Nov 2019, 10:47 am
Can`t wait for the concerts.These big arenas,all will sold out-great.

What do you think,we had Inner Sanctum as opener at last,before that Axis -now we have the Greatest Hits Tour,which hit we can expect as opener?Very difficult,in my opinion.
PSB don't sell out the big ones. There's parts in these venues that aren't even for sale. What are you dreaming of? PSB aren't U2 (thankfully!)

m+

domino

#230 Post by domino » Mon 11 Nov 2019, 1:53 pm

romy wrote:
Mon 11 Nov 2019, 10:47 am
Good question! I would expect a hit, too. I wasn't keen on the openings with Axis and Inner Sanctum.
Heart/MTAD was a good opener for the Pandemonium-Tour.

I'd expect something with bass for the beginning and then, when they hit the stage, you'll get a wall of orchestral/electric sound blowing your mind away.
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

karnsculpture

#231 Post by karnsculpture » Mon 11 Nov 2019, 3:26 pm

I think they should open with "West End Girls" or "left To My Own Devices", both of which could have great epic intros before the bass and drums kick in, getting everyone on their feet. I'd then like them to run through a few of the big hits before presenting some new songs or deeper cuts, and end with "Go West" with an extended outro, which going from memory I think they did during the "Uni" tour, still one of my favourite shows, more so than the actual "Release" tour.

romy

#232 Post by romy » Mon 11 Nov 2019, 3:51 pm

This is really difficult,can't imagine at the moment,how the stage look like.We had cubes,circles but know?

A red letter day have a good intro,in my opinion.Rent as well.Or Can you forgive her? Very difficult,but I think,they start with an stomper,that the people are excited from the beginning.

Nicholas

#233 Post by Nicholas » Mon 11 Nov 2019, 4:17 pm

Why speculate at this stage? Why not just enjoy it as it happens when it happens? It’s all very well and good people complaining that their live shows don’t have any surprises any more but when every single possible outcome has already been extrapolated on an online forum six months previously that’s hardly surprising.

alig

#234 Post by alig » Mon 11 Nov 2019, 8:54 pm

romy wrote:
Sun 10 Nov 2019, 11:53 am
What is the problem with some of you?This is a Greatest Hits Tour !!!!!!!!! Of course,they play the big hits,like Go West etc.

And this songs,written on facebook,is not the setlist!!!
And they played those songs on every flamin tour! Calling this one GH tour is misleading. It's your bog standard PSB list. And the graphics suck. And the title sucks. It looks like something tacky Erasure would do.
"John 3:16."

Nickname

#235 Post by Nickname » Mon 11 Nov 2019, 9:37 pm

One of the best PSB intros comes from Suburbia, they didn't include it for the single version but I think they released it was very good. That's why they included it for the video version and many of their last tours.

It's a amazing song to open a Greatest Hits tour.

For POPART they used Go West but for a concert, it works better at the end of the show.

ArtHist

#236 Post by ArtHist » Mon 11 Nov 2019, 9:54 pm

minimal wrote:
Sun 10 Nov 2019, 12:22 pm
I've been to every PSB tour since Release and frankly I can tell that I've had enough of It's a sin, Go West, West End girls etc. being played live. It's totally natural that these will be played but it's not what I'm going for these days. If at all I'm going for songs like I get excited or Do I have to? However, I wish PSB would be more brave in creating setlists for their tours. I mean: Their shows get more expensive each time we have the chance to witness them but at the same time the originality decreases. As I've said in another thread: They're playing on full effect rather than creating something artistic, something truly unique. Sure that's needed to entertain the masses and it's good for them that it works that way but I miss the days where I felt there's some intimacy shared between them and me - a moment where I felt understood. But the latter is more about growing up and coming of age, really.

It's basically the same with the music: It sounds more genetic today.

It's the same with the music videos: There aren't any or we all we get is lyrics videos which, at least IMHO, nobody actually needs or cares for.

It's the same with the artwork: The Dreamland cover looks like someone used Paint to include the artist name and song title. It's ugly and looks amateurish.

It's the same with the photpgraphs: There aren't any great photographs of them.

And it's the same with the remixes: All we get is the basic stuff. Gone are the says where they'd employ future stars of their genre.

They just don't appear as ambitious orcreative nowadays. I guess that's part of the process when you're running a business so long. But then again I think it's even more important to find and employ new people to work with instead of getting to work with the same people over and over again. They need to be pushed out of their comfort zone, dare I say.

For me, basically, the 'magic' is gone. PSB up to 2009 have been a mystery to me. Now I feel there's not much of a story to be told anymore.

I'm not complaining. It's just the way I feel about this institution.

There's been a time I felt totally overwhelmed when attening a PSB show. Now I feel ... not much, really.

All I find is that we still get some great music every couple of years. And as long as that's the case I'll follow them I suppose. But I don't actually feel any excitement anymore. Thankfully, there's tons of artists out there who still manage to fascinate me.

But in case of PSB, there's basically a lack in everything described above and therefore a lack in everything POP music stands for.

m+
Go West is surely just for the casual fans at their shows. I wish they would wipe it from their legacy. I certainly have.

Actually

#237 Post by Actually » Tue 12 Nov 2019, 3:28 am

I personally think it's going to be a bit special...
I'm too weak to be strong

MikeyC

#238 Post by MikeyC » Tue 12 Nov 2019, 6:30 am

"Wipe it from their legacy"?? Wow, that's a bit harsh!!

Personally, while I agree it's been played to death, what I do is envision the time and place and take myself back to the Fall of '93. I think about how special the song was when it was new, how meaningful it was, how bittersweet it was during the time when countless people -- mostly young gay men -- were succumbing to a plague instead of finding a beautiful utopia. That context allows me to continue to love and enjoy the song. x

Andie

#239 Post by Andie » Tue 12 Nov 2019, 8:52 am

I still love Go West. I never get tired of hearing it.
In a robot world, machinery is sighing, I thought I heard one crying

Dog

#240 Post by Dog » Tue 12 Nov 2019, 9:05 am

I’m sure the setlist will be awesome. So many of their UK top 20 hits are underperformed. Imagine even a handful of the following:

It’s alright
So hard
How can you expect to be taken seriously?
DJ culture
Can you forgive her?
Liberation
Yesterday, when I was mad
Paninaro
Before
Single-bilingual
A red letter day
I don’t know what you want but I can’t give it any more
You only tell me you love me when you’re drunk
I get along
Flamboyant