September single...???

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
britboy

September single...???

#1 Post by britboy »

I remember reading recently that a new single from the Boys would be released in September and that it would be a duet...but so far there's no news of it...anybody got any info ?

I know they've been busy recently with ''Musik'' and the upcoming ''My Beautiful Laundrette'' but these days the release of a single seems pretty easy compared to the old days of promoting it on ''Top Of The Pops'' etc,etc.

Maybe they'll play it next month at the concert in Hyde Park ?
Last edited by britboy on Wed 21 Aug 2019, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bulldog

Re: September single...???

#2 Post by Bulldog »

I think they'll announce it once "Musik" wraps up.

Nickname

#3 Post by Nickname »

britboy wrote: Tue 20 Aug 2019, 3:17 pm I remember reading recently that a new single from the Boys would be released in September and that it would be a duet...but so far there's no news of it...anybody got any info ?

I know they've been busy recently with ''Musik'' and the upcoming ''A Beautiful Laundrette'' but these days the release of a single seems pretty easy compared to the old days of promoting it on ''Top Of The Pops'' etc,etc.

True:
- Concert in Hyde Park
- In September
- There is a duet on it
- It was a recorded a duet with Olly Alexander. There is a song called Dreamland which was written with him.
- Dreamland is a good song

Speculation:
- Taking into accound everything said above, there is a possibility the duet with Olly was Dreamland and it was performed in Hyde Park. Realising the song like single material and approaching the visibility (concert+duet+coming back). But looks like the album is going to be released in the early 2020, many months before to the album release. The speculation can go wrong or it is a new comercial strategy. We don't know.

y3potential

#4 Post by y3potential »

nickname wrote: Tue 20 Aug 2019, 4:23 pm
britboy wrote: Tue 20 Aug 2019, 3:17 pm I remember reading recently that a new single from the Boys would be released in September and that it would be a duet...but so far there's no news of it...anybody got any info ?

I know they've been busy recently with ''Musik'' and the upcoming ''A Beautiful Laundrette'' but these days the release of a single seems pretty easy compared to the old days of promoting it on ''Top Of The Pops'' etc,etc.

True:
- Concert in Hyde Park
- In September
- There is a duet on it
- It was a recorded a duet with Olly Alexander. There is a song called Dreamland which was written with him.

Speculation:
- Taking into accound everything said above, there is a possibility the duet with Olly was Dreamland and it was performed in Hyde Park. Realising the song like single material and approaching the visibility (concert+duet+coming back). But looks like the album is going to be released in the early 2020, many months before to the album release. The speculation can go wrong or it is a new comercial strategy. We don't know.

How do you know Dreamland "is a good song..?". Where did you hear it..? :wall:
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

jules

#5 Post by jules »

I wish they would release the album in the week following the concert, for a surprise effect. I hope Dreamland will be good : it could be an album launch track, with Olly Alexander voice, and a political contest song, with an anthemic chorus and the big psb sound and production.

daveid

#6 Post by daveid »

y3potential wrote: Tue 20 Aug 2019, 4:48 pm

True:
- Concert in Hyde Park
- In September
- There is a duet on it

Speculation:

It must be a good song. It's by the Pet Shop Boys. They would never release a bad song. Take Winner. It's good. It's by the Pet Shop Boys. Dreamland must therefore be a good song.

Pet shop Boys. Pet Shop Boys. Playing with their Pet Shop Toys. Neil is singer. Chris wears hat. They make music rat tat tat.

Nickname

#7 Post by Nickname »

True:
- Concert in Hyde Park
- In September
- There is a duet on it

Speculation:

Well, the song was going to be included on the new Years and Years album but looked like PSB had changed their minds and they wanted the song for them. I readed somewhere it was an anthemic pop song, similar to the big songs from the old days.

britboy

#8 Post by britboy »

Some speculation is always good but I'm still waiting for concrete confirmation...

y3potential

#9 Post by y3potential »

nickname wrote: Thu 22 Aug 2019, 4:12 pm

True:
- Concert in Hyde Park
- In September
- There is a duet on it

Speculation:

Well, the song was going to be included on the new Years and Years album but looked like PSB had changed their minds and they wanted the song for them. I readed somewhere it was an anthemic pop song, similar to the big songs from the old days.

So, you haven't actually heard a note of it then... You have no idea if it's "good" or not, just like the rest of us.. :roll: :roll:
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

ZiggyPSB

#10 Post by ZiggyPSB »

People will believe their own bullshit they make up. Even if it does turn out to be a good song, it’s still wrong to straight up call it a good song claiming it as fact before having heard a single note of it.

I hope it’s a good song, but I clearly don’t have an opinion on it whether it actually is a good song because I haven’t heard it yet. D’uh.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

james23_uk

#11 Post by james23_uk »

Not sure this is happening now. I was expecting to feel movement back in July and there turned out to be nothing. Unless they are deliberately keeping everything under wraps for that element of surprise (a la Super) I'm starting to think it might all get pushed back to Winter/Spring.
at rock bottom :wall:

leesmapman

#12 Post by leesmapman »

nickname wrote: Thu 22 Aug 2019, 4:12 pm Well, the song was going to be included on the new Years and Years album but looked like PSB had changed their minds and they wanted the song for them.
Speculation. No-one ever said if it's going to be released on a PSB or a Y&Y album.

NikacP0kac

#13 Post by NikacP0kac »

james23_uk wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2019, 1:07 am Not sure this is happening now. I was expecting to feel movement back in July and there turned out to be nothing. Unless they are deliberately keeping everything under wraps for that element of surprise (a la Super) I'm starting to think it might all get pushed back to Winter/Spring.
The album release certainly is, as they stated in a Pet Text not long ago (1 July 2019):

Code: Select all

Stuart Price and friend taking a break from finishing mixing our new album. (It’s being delivered to Kobalt next month for release in January. Full details in due course.)
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Sage

#14 Post by Sage »

james23_uk wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2019, 1:07 am Not sure this is happening now. I was expecting to feel movement back in July and there turned out to be nothing. Unless they are deliberately keeping everything under wraps for that element of surprise (a la Super) I'm starting to think it might all get pushed back to Winter/Spring.
It has to happen. The original September date came from a fan that supposedly heard from Neil there will be a new single in September, so it's not very official but they have publically said the live performance on the 15th of September will include a special guest. There has also been the picture of the Years & Years singer with Neil. So it's pretty logical to gather there will be a new single in September and it will be the collaboration. There's also been suggestion a single or singles should be released prior to the next album's release, ala the early albums where we'd have a bit of a preview through the singles. I forgot which thread it was in, but given the album's far release date it seems practical to have a single before the release.

Also, can you refrain from saying seasons? It's currently already Winter and almost Spring in my part of the world. I can't tell if you mean the UK or America. Better to just say the months rather than the seasons.

Disco.

#15 Post by Disco. »

Well, in most of the world its summer now, and soon autumn unless you live in Australia or New Zealand.