September single...???

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
PSB-90

Re: September single...???

#211 Post by PSB-90 »

NikacP0kac

#212 Post by NikacP0kac »

Bulldog wrote:
Thu 12 Sep 2019, 11:20 am
At the moment it looks like the album won't bring anything radically new to the table, though, so my money's on something slightly more consistent than Super but not quite at the Electric level.
What a brave guess :mrgreen: Sorry, the whole sentence could have been summed up by a simple - I don't know.

On the other hand, I have a somehow less optimistic feeling this time around, compared to Electric or Super (I remember Electric got me hooked with the teasers for the incredible Axis and Fluorescent, whereas Super had that snippet website, from which I was dying to hear what was eventually to become H-A-P-P-I-N-E-S-S).

Dreamland is somehow too conventional, too generic, playing it a bit safe. Hopefully, the rest of the album doesn't follow suit as it would be a missed opportunity of sorts - they recorded in Berlin after all, this SHOULD bring out something incredible and partly experimental out of them.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

TG

#213 Post by TG »

Cant help thinking how close it sounds to The Way It Used To Be especially after that first snare hits. -
That's my "it sounds like" moment. Thanks
People tell me I'm a legend round these parts

Drunk Swede

#214 Post by Drunk Swede »

“Dreamland” is an okay song I think, but what’s going on at Farrow? The artwork output for both single and tour looks very cheap and uninteresting, and really doesn’t come together. I mean - are PSB really green? I expect much more finesse than this from Mark and gang for forthcoming releases.
Programmed in the system

Bulldog

#215 Post by Bulldog »

NikacP0kac wrote:
Thu 12 Sep 2019, 3:56 pm
Bulldog wrote:
Thu 12 Sep 2019, 11:20 am
At the moment it looks like the album won't bring anything radically new to the table, though, so my money's on something slightly more consistent than Super but not quite at the Electric level.
What a brave guess :mrgreen: Sorry, the whole sentence could have been summed up by a simple - I don't know.

On the other hand, I have a somehow less optimistic feeling this time around, compared to Electric or Super (I remember Electric got me hooked with the teasers for the incredible Axis and Fluorescent, whereas Super had that snippet website, from which I was dying to hear what was eventually to become H-A-P-P-I-N-E-S-S).

Dreamland is somehow too conventional, too generic, playing it a bit safe. Hopefully, the rest of the album doesn't follow suit as it would be a missed opportunity of sorts - they recorded in Berlin after all, this SHOULD bring out something incredible and partly experimental out of them.
The first single is supposed to represent the general direction of the album, though. If they selected a megapop and vapid thing like Dreamland and the rest of the album is different (and closer to Electric), then one should expect at least another single in a relatively short time. Otherwise you just get under the impression that we're simply in for Super 2.
Last edited by Bulldog on Thu 12 Sep 2019, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

le petit corbusier

#216 Post by le petit corbusier »

Delete comment
Look left, then right
And run for your life

y3potential

#217 Post by y3potential »

I'm awaiting Drico's witty, incisive analysis of Dreamland with some relish.. :dance:
Last edited by y3potential on Thu 12 Sep 2019, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

domino

#218 Post by domino »

Drunk Swede wrote:
Thu 12 Sep 2019, 5:29 pm
“Dreamland” is an okay song I think, but what’s going on at Farrow? The artwork output for both single and tour looks very cheap and uninteresting, and really doesn’t come together. I mean - are PSB really green? I expect much more finesse than this from Mark and gang for forthcoming releases.
I'm with you about the Dreamworld designs, but not for the single sleeve.

It's not about the colour green, it's about the actual U-Bahn-station Alexanderplatz in Berlin.
The lyric-video is also happening there. You can find some german words, like "Ausfahrt" (departure) and even the railway maps are the original ones (in German).

A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

Nicholas

#219 Post by Nicholas »

domino wrote:
Thu 12 Sep 2019, 9:34 pm
Drunk Swede wrote:

It's not about the colour green, it's about the actual U-Bahn-station Alexanderplatz in Berlin.
The lyric-video is also happening there. You can find some german words, like "Ausfahrt" (departure) and even the railway maps are the original ones (in German).

Love the idea behind the single sleeve although the credit in the corner looks a bit clumsily placed. But I assume something more conceptual will be cooked up for the album once the title is confirmed (probably still super-minimalist though). In some ways I really envy this design brief, but THE PRESSURE of living up to the ones that came before! Except Elysium, obviously.

Gabby

#220 Post by Gabby »

Yeah, I like the sleeve design for "Dreamland" too. I'm enjoying the German references, so even though we know for sure it's not called "Berlin" maybe the album will be somewhat German influenced.

df118junkie

#221 Post by df118junkie »

domino wrote:
Drunk Swede wrote:

It reminds me of a public toilet.

ZiggyPSB

#222 Post by ZiggyPSB »

I play Train Simulator where it has a route set in the Frankfurt U-Bahn and the green colour scheme is absolutely lifeless and drab.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Jamesqdot

#223 Post by Jamesqdot »

df118junkie wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 12:47 am
domino wrote:
Drunk Swede wrote:

That might say more about you than than the quote image...

Sorry... mean... only joking. That weird green is... strange.

This new single clearly has commercial potential, weirdly. I don't see it personally. It's okay. I thought the same thing about "The Pop Kids" and Super ended up disappointing. I wish they'd let Price just go full pelt again like they possibly did with Electric.

df118junkie

#224 Post by df118junkie »

Jamesqdot wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 2:26 am
df118junkie wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 12:47 am
domino wrote:

That might say more about you than than the quote image...

Sorry... mean... only joking. That weird green is... strange.

This new single clearly has commercial potential, weirdly. I don't see it personally. It's okay. I thought the same thing about "The Pop Kids" and Super ended up disappointing. I wish they'd let Price just go full pelt again like they possibly did with Electric.
You're probably right...
Attachments
Toilet 20111003-194540.jpg
Toilet 20111003-194540.jpg (60.03 KiB) Viewed 594 times

vincenzosz

#225 Post by vincenzosz »

I like the lyrics but I’m not keen on the production. Maybe this will be a growers but the music isn’t grabbing me. That, and Neil’s voice is sounding not great at moments. Especially compared to Olly’s string vocals. Listening to I’m With Stupid immediately after this I can hear how Neil’s vocals lack that smooth minty crisp sound I’m used to hearing. As much as I enjoy Stuart Price’s production he doesn’t know how to mix Neil’s vocals like Trevor Horn.

I am looking forward to the remixes. This song has lots of potential.

Considering the timeframe between now and the album I hope they will release a single EP and a remix EP.