September single...???

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
drunk14

Re: September single...???

#121 Post by drunk14 »

Yeah, I think that it would be a sin to ignore the video element. Anwyay, Did they ever explain why it had happened to "The Pop Kids"?
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

leesmapman

#122 Post by leesmapman »

This is a strong, fun track

Zog

#123 Post by Zog »

Catchy :)

-Zog
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

minimal

#124 Post by minimal »

Sure, it's a pleasent surprise to have a new PSB single out now. Also, I value the fact to have another feature track in the canon. I usually really like these.

I've listened to Dreamland a couple of times now and I wouldn't call it a worse pop song. However, I do think that it sounds very generic in general; Neil's singing sounds unpleasant several times (especially in the beginning) and basically I have the impression that they wanted to make him Sound like OA. That leads me to the question what the point of a collaboration is when both singers sound pretty similar. Former collaborations profited strongly from the fact that Neil and the guest sounded different. A darker tone of Neils voice could have added a welcome contrast as opposed to OA and also would have added some more semantics/meaning to the track. They've gone the obvious way with Dreamland and, IMHO, miscalculated the fact of vocal production. I do find the lyrics a bit bland, too.

Also, I don't get how the artwork of PSB Releases tend to look more and more cheap. I'm not relating to the pictoral element here. The brick wall of AP is a strong element to have. However, the title of the track and the names of the artists in the bottom right corner look like they've been added with Paint. It just doesn't make any sense how it's done, graphically. For years now, there's a lack of subtlety in Farrow's work, I'm afraid.

Having said that, I'm in a personal state atm where I enjoy that a new PSB single is out whatever it may sound and look like...

m+
Last edited by minimal on Wed 11 Sep 2019, 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

King1968

#125 Post by King1968 »

I really like it very catchy and a different sound to super i think their voices really complement each other it's definitely a song which sticks in your head

Synthrobot

#126 Post by Synthrobot »

Really like it. Hope that the words “Years and Years” appear on the title as this will mean more airplay and more exposure.
Looking forward to buying it and hopefully lots of remixes!

jules

#127 Post by jules »

minimal wrote:
Wed 11 Sep 2019, 6:52 am

I've listened to Dreamland a couple of times now and I wouldn't call it a worse pop song. However, I do think that it sounds very generic in general; Neil's singing sounds unpleasant several times (especially in the beginning) and basically I have the impression that they wanted to make him Sound like OA. That leads me to the question what the point of a collaboration is when both singers sound pretty similar. Former collaborations profited strongly from the fact that Neil and the guest sounded different. A darker tone of Neils voice could have added a welcome contrast as opposed to OA and also would have added some more semantics to the track. They've gone the obvious way with Dreamland and, IMHO, miscalculated the fact of vocal production. I do find the lyrics a bit bland, too.

Also, I don't get how the artwork of PSB Releases tend to look more and more cheap. I'm not relating to the pictoral element here. The brick wall of AP is a strong element to have. However, the title of the track and the names of the artists in the bottom right corner look like they've been added with some with Paint. It just doesn't make any sense how it's done, graphically. For years now, there's a lack of subtlety in Farrow's work, I'm afraid.
We all have particular expectations when a new song comes out.

Everything is fine, for me the voices are perfect. And the wall artwork shows that Farrow made a more complex work than on Super.

Having Neil sung in a darker tone, he would still be blamed anyway.

I can't wait to see this single released and the video (if there is one).

psbfannyc

#128 Post by psbfannyc »

The artwork is from the Berlin Uban subway!

Dog

#129 Post by Dog »

Album is 10 tracks apparently.
Woof.

One of the crowd

#130 Post by One of the crowd »

This may sound a little bizarre but I hear elements of Misfit by Curiosity Killed The Cat!!
Fishing

Bulldog

#131 Post by Bulldog »

Don't like it at all,sorry. Production is ABYSMAL. Neil sounds like he's choking.

y3potential

#132 Post by y3potential »

Very catchy. I imagine it'll sound great on the radio. Reminds me of Thursday with hints of Why Don't We Live Together.. :dance:
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

canveyboy

#133 Post by canveyboy »

Listening now to Zoe Ball.....excruciating!
Its taken me all of my life to find you

y3potential

#134 Post by y3potential »

canveyboy wrote:
Wed 11 Sep 2019, 8:24 am
Listening now to Zoe Ball.....excruciating!
She's insufferable. Talking to the listener as if we're all 5 year olds. Where's Smashie and Nicey when you need them, mate..!
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Bulldog

#135 Post by Bulldog »

y3potential wrote:
Wed 11 Sep 2019, 8:23 am
Very catchy. I imagine it'll sound great on the radio. Reminds me of Thursday with hints of Why Don't We Live Together.. :dance:
Actually it starts with the chord of "I want a lover". Stephen Hague should have produced it!
Last edited by Bulldog on Wed 11 Sep 2019, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.