Cicero is back

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
ArtHist

Re: Cicero is back

#16 Post by ArtHist » Mon 24 Jun 2019, 4:10 pm

ype wrote:
Sun 23 Jun 2019, 9:40 pm
Did anyone attend? I'd love to read a report.
Chris was there, he asked for his sweater back. ; )

sirclive

#17 Post by sirclive » Tue 25 Jun 2019, 12:50 am

Hi..

I'm not a reviewer - so this will likely be word Spaghetti (see what I did there? Please yourselves!)

I was at the gig, and it was (to use a well-worn PSB pun) absolutely fabulous.
Slightly more seriously - I've paid a lot more for gigs that were significantly less good.
If you didn't go, you missed something really Very good (I'll stop the PSB puns now).

It was a small venue - maybe holds about 300, but that gave the sound some extra welly - the bass went right through you.

The audience were specifically asked - via an amusing recorded message from David's daughter, Holly - not to stream or record the gig. She also reminded folk to go for a pee-pee before the gig starts :)

For that reason, I can't remember the order that most of the songs were played.
Erm - the recording bit. Not the going for a pee :)

As mentioned in the advert for the gig, there were quite a few from Future Boy along with covers like Blue Monday (where David sounded better than Bernard does live) and the Bobby O "She Has A Way" cover (which I'd never heard before, but went searching for it - leading me to this very forum).

He also covered "Later Tonight", saying it was his favourite track on the album and that he hoped he sang it OK because "Neil Tennant is The Man". He did, incidentally.

For a lot of songs, he was joined on stage by Amy Baillie - a local female vocalist that he's worked with on songs like "Wish".
For someone so young (erm - compared to me, anyway), she packs quite the voice. The Sylvia Mason-James bits in Live For Today did not disappoint, along with a cover of "Say Goodbye" at the end which they'd only had a few days to prepare.

Also on stage was a backing keyboard player (George) - who probably did other things as well, so I'm almost certainly selling him short, and a saxophone player (Trav) appeared at various stages. That man can play!

He was on stage for about an hour and a half (maybe more). No breaks, and just one quick costume change for comedic value.

Love Is Everywhere was played towards the end (segued into it for what would normally be the fast bit of "Then").
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goELg1JDa4I. With proper bagpipes and kilted piper.

Finally, he and Amy did a meet and greet out in the foyer after the gig - doing selfies (or normal photos where another person holds the camera - who knew?!), signing autographs (I got my well-played Future Boy autographed) and photos. There were T-shirts and mugs for sale, but there wasn't any of that "the artist will only sign official merchandise that you've bought tonight" nonsense.

This was an personal, intimate gig for a damn good cause (Macmillan Cancer - he's doing the gig in support of them as his Mum is currently battling cancer).

The best recommendation - my wife went with me, and she's not (remotely) a "synth music" fan. She thought it was brilliant, too. And she still has "Cicero in the house" rattling about her head a few days later.

Sage

#18 Post by Sage » Thu 27 Jun 2019, 9:52 am

Does anyone have the set list?
Interested to know which PSB track was covered.

Watching a clip, the audio is downright awful, in my opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF-s5oVQMh8
I know it's just from the camera filming, but compared to a candid PSB live recording where you can clearly hear the vocals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvJt77btSvA

sirclive

#20 Post by sirclive » Thu 27 Jun 2019, 4:09 pm

Sage wrote:
Thu 27 Jun 2019, 9:52 am
Watching a clip, the audio is downright awful, in my opinion.
Oh, come on. You're complaining that a high budget stadium audio quality manned by a full team sounds better than a small concert hall with a sound desk run by 1 maybe 2 people. That's just a nonsense.

Trust me - I was there. It sounded brilliant. Is it ever going to rival the sound at the O2? Of course not - it never claimed to.

The video clips were recorded at the side of the stage. If you're facing the stage and speakers, there was no problem at all.

nickname

#21 Post by nickname » Fri 28 Jun 2019, 9:37 pm

This video (with PSB on it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3TC582lvYU

Marie loves PSB

#22 Post by Marie loves PSB » Sat 29 Jun 2019, 10:11 am

Many thanks for the nice review Sirclive and welcome to the forum. :D

Synthrobot

#23 Post by Synthrobot » Wed 03 Jul 2019, 6:54 pm

I’ve watched the videos, and I really wish I had taken the day off work and travelled 600 miles. I’m not kidding, I love Cicero 🤣

Gary1962

#24 Post by Gary1962 » Thu 04 Jul 2019, 9:54 am

:D Love Is Everywhere still sounding fresh, what a track that is
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

Synthrobot

#25 Post by Synthrobot » Thu 04 Jul 2019, 6:19 pm

The first time I heard it (in HMV) I thought, god I hope this isn’t PSB. It sounded too cheesy. I rather like it now though.

tottenhammattspurs

#26 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Fri 05 Jul 2019, 12:38 am

Liking the new single!
Attachments
91E54B2E-E90D-489F-AB12-C35482838DEC.png
91E54B2E-E90D-489F-AB12-C35482838DEC.png (2.55 MiB) Viewed 1247 times
is is and isnt isnt

lucienchardon

#27 Post by lucienchardon » Fri 05 Jul 2019, 2:41 am

Me too. Just got it on iTunes and really liking it.