The musical that just won't die ;)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
jasonjohn

Re: The musical that just won't die ;)

#46 Post by jasonjohn » Thu 11 Jul 2019, 2:08 pm

leesmapman wrote:
Thu 11 Jul 2019, 2:03 pm
I just read this review:
https://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/2019 ... ag-london/

It mentions the songs are great and so are the preformances, but the biggest problem with the musical is the book.
Ah good review.

One of the cast has pics from the programme https://twitter.com/MickeyUrbanek/statu ... 7297283073

ZiggyPSB

#47 Post by ZiggyPSB » Thu 11 Jul 2019, 2:23 pm

I wish this musical was on in late September, then I would convince myself to go to London again and see it live for the first time. I quite like the cast recording. Songs like Something Special, Nine Out Of Ten and Call Me Old-Fashioned make me happy when they come on shuffle on my iPhone.
This is a song about boys and girls. You hear it playing all over the world.
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Bulldog

#49 Post by Bulldog » Thu 11 Jul 2019, 9:35 pm

leesmapman wrote:
Thu 11 Jul 2019, 12:26 pm
Bulldog wrote:
Thu 11 Jul 2019, 11:38 am
Holy mackerel, between Nickname's abstracts and Brexit babble invading every single thread this place is getting really silly.
You forgot Scienceguy :-D

Anyway. I gave the cast recording CD a spin last week. It still has some great songs on it.
We're dangerously close to the Steve Hoffman forum nonsensical atmosphere. "Do you think The Beatles are underrated?"
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

Future Lover

#50 Post by Future Lover » Fri 12 Jul 2019, 7:56 am

Okay, but Bulldog, are you my twin from another dimension, speaking my mind and all that. Not a single lie in your posts.
As for being obsessed with Trump... he is this era's defining person. We let a complete f*** lunatic have his finger on the 'nucular' option and you expect artist to just chill and enjoy their crumpets? No sir! And he's gonna win again, so don't expect the Boys going apolitical any time soon. It's really no different to America's Red Scare when every Sci Fi movie was about body snatching and The Scary Other. It's stupid, and frankly insulting, policing what an artist should speak about.

Bulldog

#51 Post by Bulldog » Fri 12 Jul 2019, 9:30 am

Luckily Neil is neither Andy Bell nor Roger Waters. He's a prolific writer and has been writing songs about gay cruising, love affairs with girls, dancing in clubs, hanging out with friends, chilling in the country, everything you want. And bilious right-wing politicians too. To worry because Agenda has a political tone, as if Actually or Fundamental never happened or didn't include love songs, is a strange nonsense. I'll worry about it when he'll need 20 years to make an album while constantly chastising every artist who dares having fans in Israel.
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

jules

#52 Post by jules » Fri 12 Jul 2019, 11:16 am

I wonder how are the musical new songs.
julien676.skyblog.com

oakey

#53 Post by oakey » Sat 20 Jul 2019, 9:52 pm

Just went to see C2H. Chris was in the audience, didn’t dare to do more than compliment him with the production after the show. He just smiled and said it had nothing to do with him (well he wrote the songs, which was also my stupid fan reply...). Don’t think many others recognized him without cap and sunglasses :)

Production was very small as in cast and venue (the theatre has 100 seats) and some changes compared to the 2001 run. Caligula was a backstage rehearsal, Mile End Lee sung Something Special with altered lyrics and of course Vocal at the end. And Positive Role Model was an instrumental for Dave to show his dance routine. But all in all very enjoyable.

The music was pre-recorded though, unlike in the 2001 production.

Chatted with the cast after the show, very nice. They mentioned that the altered lyrics were written by Neil and that Neil and Chris attended a run through, but were not involved much.

MikeyC

#54 Post by MikeyC » Mon 22 Jul 2019, 3:59 am

oakey wrote:
Sat 20 Jul 2019, 9:52 pm
Just went to see C2H. Chris was in the audience, didn’t dare to do more than compliment him with the production after the show. He just smiled and said it had nothing to do with him (well he wrote the songs, which was also my stupid fan reply...). Don’t think many others recognized him without cap and sunglasses :)

Production was very small as in cast and venue (the theatre has 100 seats) and some changes compared to the 2001 run. Caligula was a backstage rehearsal, Mile End Lee sung Something Special with altered lyrics and of course Vocal at the end. And Positive Role Model was an instrumental for Dave to show his dance routine. But all in all very enjoyable.

The music was pre-recorded though, unlike in the 2001 production.

Chatted with the cast after the show, very nice. They mentioned that the altered lyrics were written by Neil and that Neil and Chris attended a run through, but were not involved much.
Exciting! Thanks for letting us know!! Glad you enjoyed! 8)

bohemians.

#55 Post by bohemians. » Fri 02 Aug 2019, 12:00 pm

I went to see it last month and would love to go again - strait Dave was amazing!
Attachments
20190508_205010.jpg
20190508_205010.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 488 times