The ingenuity of cubes

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
scienceguy

The ingenuity of cubes

#1 Post by scienceguy » Fri 05 Apr 2019, 8:42 pm

This post explains why I love the PSB Mexico City production of "Cubism" (2007).

First, the camera captures the electricity of the audience right out of the gate and keeps it up
throughout the show. The close-ups are particularly affecting, and when the audience knows the
words...well... sing they do. Also, look for yellow hoodie #2 who leaps from the cube as the show
opens. I call this performer the impish dancing backflipper. He captures the camera's eye immediately
and throughout the show, especially "Suburbia" (auguring, it seems, the later evolution of movies like
"The Ice Storm", "Donnie Darko", and "The Chumscrubber") and "Integral". And the freewheeling
commotion on stage perpetuates the rollercoaster ride, as Neil and Chris often seem to just stand
back and give free rein to the backup vocalists and dancers.

As the Faulkner-like stream of consciousness unfolds, you'll see how the near-static background
geometry is, I believe, allowed to convey ideas in multiple ways. For example, watch for "Minimal
(lyrics)/Shopping" and see how Neil takes to the confines of a cube to perform "Rent". Watch for the
"cube touch".

The backup performers keep the party going, and the gal vocalist is splendid. Watch for the dancing
top hat, and stay tuned for a spectacular final 30 minutes and surprise ending.

So, kids, if you're new to this, or just want to revisit, then buckle up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRqGsfi9smQ

Footnote:
Located at Paseo de la Reforma #50, Col. Chapultepec, Cd. Mexico, the Auditorio Nacional is a
worldwide recognized special event venue. While living and working in Mexico City, I spent time in
and around the Reforma and Zona Rosa, just north of Pda. Insurgentes. The U.S. Embassy is close
by, and El Ángel towers above all.
Attachments
Angel_de_la_Independencia_Night Skyline.jpg
Angel_de_la_Independencia_Night Skyline.jpg (25.49 KiB) Viewed 102 times
Auditorio-Nacional_Ext.jpg
Auditorio-Nacional_Ext.jpg (18.09 KiB) Viewed 102 times
Auditorio Nacional Cd Mexico Int.jpg
Auditorio Nacional Cd Mexico Int.jpg (22 KiB) Viewed 102 times
Myself pictured in Silverlake, Los Angeles, June, 1986. Debut PSB album Please in March, 1986. Long live the 80s zeitgeist.

scienceguy

Re: The ingenuity of cubes

#2 Post by scienceguy » Tue 23 Apr 2019, 3:08 am

This is an addendum to my post. At the close of the show, Neil introduces my "Yellow Hoodie #2" properly as Mr. Nathan Holiday (not Halliday), and his name appears, as it should, prominently, as the credits roll.
Myself pictured in Silverlake, Los Angeles, June, 1986. Debut PSB album Please in March, 1986. Long live the 80s zeitgeist.