Neil talks about Pop etc - Royal Academy of Arts

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
rashomon

Neil talks about Pop etc - Royal Academy of Arts

#1 Post by rashomon »

Neil will be talking to BBC Radio 4's John Wilson about pop, poetry and the art of song-writing at the The Royal Academy's Benjamin West Lecture Theatre on Friday 3rd May.

Followed by Q&A

Tickets available from Friday 10.00 AM

More details here: https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/event/f ... -shop-boys
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

ArtHist

Re: Neil talks about Pop etc - Royal Academy of Arts

#2 Post by ArtHist »

These talks must be a nice little earner. Neil seems to have done quite a number over the past 12 months.

rashomon

#3 Post by rashomon »

Agreed!

I’m not sure I’ll bother with this one

I guess it’s going to cover the same ground as the last talk and I think it’s another opportunity to shift a few more copies of his book

The audience Q&A is likely to be the most interesting and we may get a few more details about the new album

you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

ArtHist

#4 Post by ArtHist »

rashomon wrote: Mon 11 Mar 2019, 10:25 pm Agreed!

I’m not sure I’ll bother with this one

I guess it’s going to cover the same ground as the last talk and I think it’s another opportunity to shift a few more copies of his book

The audience Q&A is likely to be the most interesting and we may get a few more details about the new album
Well, there will be 'pre-signed bookplates' available to buy at the event, so the book will be a part of that. Exit through the gift shop folks!

Harry

#5 Post by Harry »

If you’re a ‘friend of the RA’, ie a member, you can buy tickets to this now.
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

goughsjd

#6 Post by goughsjd »

Anyone gonna go to this ? I can't decide if its worth it as i can only imagine it will be much of the same as the last one !
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

ArtHist

#7 Post by ArtHist »

goughsjd wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019, 10:42 am Anyone gonna go to this ? I can't decide if its worth it as i can only imagine it will be much of the same as the last one !
    Was all set to book a place yesterday, thinking that as a friend of the Royal Academy there might be a discount. But 20 quid for another talk in a similar vein to the last one and before the new album?.....nah.

andrewthomas100

#8 Post by andrewthomas100 »

goughsjd wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019, 10:42 am Anyone gonna go to this ? I can't decide if its worth it as i can only imagine it will be much of the same as the last one !
    I've bought a ticket. I'll let you know how it goes. Day out in London should be fun. Should be a good night, too.
    Last edited by andrewthomas100 on Fri 15 Mar 2019, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasminewok

#10 Post by jasminewok »

How did you get a ticket?

andrewthomas100

#11 Post by andrewthomas100 »

jasminewok wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019, 4:00 pm How did you get a ticket?
    The RA website. Yeah, I know it's annoying the tickets didn't go on sale until 10:15 (not 10:00), and then sold out.

andrewthomas100

#13 Post by andrewthomas100 »

I just got back from this. It was excellent. Neil was forthcoming and very funny. The interviewer from BBC radio was a class act. Really good night out. Sorry, I can’t remember a thing that was said, but there were many revealing titbits.

I’d much rather do something like this than go to a gig, to be honest. I must be getting old.

Dog

#14 Post by Dog »

andrewthomas100 wrote:Sorry, I can’t remember a thing that was said, but there were many revealing titbits.
    Have a good night’s sleep and then see if you can do any better.
    Woof.

andrewthomas100

#15 Post by andrewthomas100 »

Strewth, I can’t remember. My brain’s going. I’ll try ...

Neil hated Go West when Chris first played the record, and was sure they’d never release it, so he didn’t even bother writing down the lyrics (which is why there are apparently some mistakes in their recorded version).

Neil hasn’t got a clue what to do when he’s on stage because “no one ever tells you what to do.” Similarly in their early pop videos, he just stood there not knowing what to do. The director would ask for a second take and he’d just do exactly the same thing again. He says he has no stagecraft whatsoever.

Neil’s Dad went to their Wembley Arena show in 1989 and all he said afterward in a loud northern voice was “that sound was bloody awful”. (He was right, I was there and it was).

Chris spends all day on the sofa. Fair enough.