Original track listing for “Disco One” from EMI America

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Propertius

Re: Original track listing for “Disco One” from EMI America

#16 Post by Propertius » Sat 09 Mar 2019, 8:15 am

It looks fake, but the seller also has a 1986 promo sheet for a Skinny Puppy release on EMI America sister label Capitol Records. That release has a staple hole the same place as the PSB release. So... could be real. It’s an odd thing to fake. The typos and grammatical errors in the release, as well as the odd title and track list, make me suspicious. But publicists donsometimes get sloppy...

TwizzleUK

#17 Post by TwizzleUK » Sun 10 Mar 2019, 11:24 am

One of the crowd wrote:
Fri 08 Mar 2019, 11:43 pm
TwizzleUK wrote:
Fri 08 Mar 2019, 9:39 am
onzio wrote:
Thu 07 Mar 2019, 1:56 pm

There are already 4 versions of AMCGA:

1.A Man Could Get Arrested (7" Mix) [4:50]
2.A Man Could Get Arrested (12" Mix) [4:09]
3.A Man Could Get Arrested (Remix/Alternative Version) [4:18]
4.A Man Could Get Arrested (Extended Mix) [5:37]

source: psb-catalogue.com
Not sure the 5:37 'Extended Mix' exists - think it's a mis-timing/mis-titling of one of the other three versions on a sleeve somewhere - I've certainly never heard it or found it on youtube
It exists
Can you provide any more info about it: was it an extended version of the original Bobby Orlando produced mix or the re-recorded 7" B-side version? Which release did it appear on? Do you have a link to it on youtube or similar?

TwizzleUK

#18 Post by TwizzleUK » Sun 10 Mar 2019, 1:02 pm

This thread suggests 'A Man Could Get Arrested (Extended Mix)' doesn't exist - just a glitched version of the 7" b-side on a pre-release DAT of potential tracks for 'Alternative': https://www.petshopboys-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=32802

retrofuturist

#19 Post by retrofuturist » Tue 12 Mar 2019, 10:50 pm

Greetings,
Danimal wrote:
Thu 07 Mar 2019, 2:07 pm
I don't know if anyone remembers the old MUSE music catalog from back in the 1980s, but I distinctly remember that old industry catalog's entry for the "Disco" album instead used the title "Disco One" so the press release is most likely legitimate.
Now that you mention it, I remember this also from going into a music shop here in Australia around 1990 or so, asking what Pet Shop Boys stuff I could order... and they actually showed me their printed catalogue, and it had reference to "Disco One" as well.

What I find strangest is that it would be on Side 2 of the release, which is already longer than Side 1. Timingwise, and stylistically, it would fit much better before or after Opportunities.

Retro. :)

BlackPanther

#20 Post by BlackPanther » Sat 16 Mar 2019, 3:22 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue 12 Mar 2019, 10:50 pm
What I find strangest is that it would be on Side 2 of the release, which is already longer than Side 1. Timingwise, and stylistically, it would fit much better before or after Opportunities.
Then you're assuming that the mixes that eventually ended up on Disco were the ones foreseen when this tracklist was considered. No duration or mixes are listed so it could very well have been the intention to release other versions of these tracks.

BTW, I do recall the title being "Disco One" in one or two Dutch catalogues as well at the time.