Original track listing for “Disco One” from EMI America

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
User avatar
Pete13
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 2:30 pm
Contact:

Original track listing for “Disco One” from EMI America

#1 Post by Pete13 » Thu 07 Mar 2019, 12:20 am

I notice that someone is selling an original press release for the first Disco album on eBay (for a ridiculous amount!). However, it’s interesting seeing the proposed track list including A man could get arrested.
Attachments
37AC3F5A-E28A-4316-A06B-CDD8CB68DAD6.jpeg
37AC3F5A-E28A-4316-A06B-CDD8CB68DAD6.jpeg (156.2 KiB) Viewed 2719 times

User avatar
tottenhammattspurs
Posts: 3209
Joined: Sat 04 Nov 2006, 6:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Original track listing for “Disco One” from EMI America

#2 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Thu 07 Mar 2019, 10:07 am

Interesting that they actually called it “Disco One” and not just “Disco”.
is is and isnt isnt

User avatar
Bulldog
Posts: 1654
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 11:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Original track listing for “Disco One” from EMI America

#3 Post by Bulldog » Thu 07 Mar 2019, 11:22 am

Does it mean there's an unreleased, different 12" mix of AMCGA lying around? Both versions (7" and 12") were already available as b-sides at the time, I think.
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

User avatar
james23_uk
Posts: 1112
Joined: Sat 08 Feb 2003, 3:19 am
Contact:

Re: Original track listing for “Disco One” from EMI America

#4 Post by james23_uk » Thu 07 Mar 2019, 12:32 pm

Calling it Disco One I wonder if this press release is genuine? Why would they have called it Disco One?

User avatar
Bulldog
Posts: 1654
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 11:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Original track listing for “Disco One” from EMI America

#5 Post by Bulldog » Thu 07 Mar 2019, 1:33 pm

Can't find it anywhere on eBay. Likely not genuine.

EDIT: Found it - very strange indeed... "Surburbia" :?:
Last edited by Bulldog on Thu 07 Mar 2019, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

User avatar
andmaste
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed 19 Nov 2003, 9:02 am
Contact:

Re: Original track listing for “Disco One” from EMI America

#6 Post by andmaste » Thu 07 Mar 2019, 1:36 pm

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Thu 07 Mar 2019, 10:07 am
Interesting that they actually called it “Disco One” and not just “Disco”.
Philipine LP was titled "Disco One"

Image
Andrea
Pet Shop Boys: Covers & Quotations
www.psbcq.it

User avatar
onzio
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue 28 Oct 2003, 1:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Original track listing for “Disco One” from EMI America

#7 Post by onzio » Thu 07 Mar 2019, 1:56 pm

Bulldog wrote:
Thu 07 Mar 2019, 11:22 am
Does it mean there's an unreleased, different 12" mix of AMCGA lying around? Both versions (7" and 12") were already available as b-sides at the time, I think.
There are already 4 versions of AMCGA:

1.A Man Could Get Arrested (7" Mix) [4:50]
2.A Man Could Get Arrested (12" Mix) [4:09]
3.A Man Could Get Arrested (Remix/Alternative Version) [4:18]
4.A Man Could Get Arrested (Extended Mix) [5:37]

source: psb-catalogue.com
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

User avatar
Danimal
Posts: 1210
Joined: Mon 03 Nov 2003, 12:57 am
Contact:

Re: Original track listing for “Disco One” from EMI America

#8 Post by Danimal » Thu 07 Mar 2019, 2:07 pm

I don't know if anyone remembers the old MUSE music catalog from back in the 1980s, but I distinctly remember that old industry catalog's entry for the "Disco" album instead used the title "Disco One" so the press release is most likely legitimate.
Last edited by Danimal on Thu 07 Mar 2019, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Danimal
Posts: 1210
Joined: Mon 03 Nov 2003, 12:57 am
Contact:

Re: Original track listing for “Disco One” from EMI America

#9 Post by Danimal » Thu 07 Mar 2019, 2:08 pm

I don't know if anyone remembers the old MUSE music catalog from back in the 1980s, but I distinctly remember that old industry catalog's entry for the "Disco" album instead used the title "Disco One" so the press release is most likely legitimate.

User avatar
York Minster
Posts: 5412
Joined: Thu 21 May 2009, 2:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Original track listing for “Disco One” from EMI America

#10 Post by York Minster » Fri 08 Mar 2019, 3:54 am

In The Night wasn't new at that point though?
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

TwizzleUK
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat 25 Feb 2006, 12:22 am
Contact:

Re: Original track listing for “Disco One” from EMI America

#11 Post by TwizzleUK » Fri 08 Mar 2019, 9:39 am

onzio wrote:
Thu 07 Mar 2019, 1:56 pm
Bulldog wrote:
Thu 07 Mar 2019, 11:22 am
Does it mean there's an unreleased, different 12" mix of AMCGA lying around? Both versions (7" and 12") were already available as b-sides at the time, I think.
There are already 4 versions of AMCGA:

1.A Man Could Get Arrested (7" Mix) [4:50]
2.A Man Could Get Arrested (12" Mix) [4:09]
3.A Man Could Get Arrested (Remix/Alternative Version) [4:18]
4.A Man Could Get Arrested (Extended Mix) [5:37]

source: psb-catalogue.com
Not sure the 5:37 'Extended Mix' exists - think it's a mis-timing/mis-titling of one of the other three versions on a sleeve somewhere - I've certainly never heard it or found it on youtube

User avatar
Bulldog
Posts: 1654
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 11:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Original track listing for “Disco One” from EMI America

#12 Post by Bulldog » Fri 08 Mar 2019, 10:00 am

Assuming the press release is genuine, I don't know if AMCGA would have worked on Disco anyway. Steven Spiro's production for the seven-inch sounds very different from the rest of the 1985-1986 tracks, a lot less edgy (and pretty cheesy, but that's a matter of taste...). The 12" version feels more suitable to a remix, but they probably weren't on very good terms with Bobby O at the time, were they?
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

User avatar
seriously
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 11:48 am
Contact:

Re: Original track listing for “Disco One” from EMI America

#13 Post by seriously » Fri 08 Mar 2019, 10:13 am

Discogs:

https://www.discogs.com/Pet-Shop-Boys-D ... se/1965607

The Philippines gets all the good releases.
RadioPunchBoil: The Future is 1982


One of the crowd
Posts: 4493
Joined: Tue 28 Oct 2003, 4:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Original track listing for “Disco One” from EMI America

#15 Post by One of the crowd » Fri 08 Mar 2019, 11:43 pm

TwizzleUK wrote:
Fri 08 Mar 2019, 9:39 am
onzio wrote:
Thu 07 Mar 2019, 1:56 pm
Bulldog wrote:
Thu 07 Mar 2019, 11:22 am
Does it mean there's an unreleased, different 12" mix of AMCGA lying around? Both versions (7" and 12") were already available as b-sides at the time, I think.
There are already 4 versions of AMCGA:

1.A Man Could Get Arrested (7" Mix) [4:50]
2.A Man Could Get Arrested (12" Mix) [4:09]
3.A Man Could Get Arrested (Remix/Alternative Version) [4:18]
4.A Man Could Get Arrested (Extended Mix) [5:37]

source: psb-catalogue.com
Not sure the 5:37 'Extended Mix' exists - think it's a mis-timing/mis-titling of one of the other three versions on a sleeve somewhere - I've certainly never heard it or found it on youtube
It exists
Fishing

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], MSN [Bot], scousepsbfan and 14 guests