Agenda: Top Three Moments

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Old Soak

Re: Agenda: Top Three Moments

#16 Post by Old Soak » Thu 14 Feb 2019, 11:56 am

The gradual swell of the strings in The Forgotten Child, becoming ever more insistent until the drum beat kicks in.

The delicious middle eight in On social media, especially #blessed

I find myself humming What are we going to do about the rich? more and more. It's that infectious football chant by way of music hall singalong chorus that digs into the subconciousness.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

dukeduvet

#17 Post by dukeduvet » Thu 14 Feb 2019, 1:37 pm

1) "Come On, Well Come On" - Love a good PSB 'football chant
2) Neil's voice when he sings 'On no computer.." reminds me of the vocal style of 'A Man Could Get Arrested'
3) "I feel so empowered"

Steve Fett

#18 Post by Steve Fett » Fri 15 Feb 2019, 2:53 pm

1. What are we going to do about the rich - the fact that its such a BOP from start to finish
2. On Social Media - the video is BRILLIANT
3. Give Stupidity a Chance - the instrumental break towards the end
what a performance tonight, should I react or turn off the light ?

Drico One

#19 Post by Drico One » Sat 16 Feb 2019, 10:09 am

That On social media bass line is vintage Lowe. Those verses in What are we going to do? are simply fantastic.

As affectingly beautiful as The forgotten child is, the sombre grimness of it all is a heavy listen - so I gravitate more to the flippant energy and wit of the earlier tracks.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

markus

#20 Post by markus » Sun 17 Feb 2019, 11:23 pm

1. The melody in the background during the chorus of Social Media that sounds like a police siren, it's very clever.

I'll think of something more later.

TallThinMan

#21 Post by TallThinMan » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 7:46 am

Drico One wrote:
Sat 16 Feb 2019, 10:09 am
That On social media bass line is vintage Lowe.
I’d go as far as to say it’s one of their best bass lines in years.

glennjridge

#22 Post by glennjridge » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 4:34 pm

One thing though, as beautiful as the forgotten child is, I always wince...when I read a review of a PSB song I havent heard yet and the person describes a PSB song as not having a chorus. forgotten child makes up for it with the nice arrangement and that stunning ending section, but to me, any PSB song that doesnt have a chorus, its like climbing a mountain and just tapping out 5 feet from the top. it needs a release. maybe a high falsetto chorus or somethin. that would have put the song over the top IMO. but I enjoy it nonetheless.

jasonjohn

#23 Post by jasonjohn » Tue 19 Feb 2019, 2:47 am

• The cheerful verse beginning with "They're avoiding paying taxes / while the welfare state collapses"... this will never not be hilarious.
  • The tired, wise tone of "Let’s lead this world a merry dance"... You can really tell Neil is sad about things. I think someone mentioned Stupidity had a (somewhat gloomy) Christmas vibe? I'd agree with that.
  • The Blade Runner style synths around 2:30 of Forgotten. But what second of that track isn't good?

Most of all.. a thematic EP.... Yes.... this format is perfect for them, so I really hope this one pays off.

Don't stop making albums, but so many possibilities.