Where is the oddest public place you've heard a PSB song?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
tottenhammattspurs

Re: Where is the oddest public place you've heard a PSB song?

#16 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Mon 11 Feb 2019, 10:41 am

TGI Fridays (UK) in 1996 had Before on their instore CD compilation. I remember because I worked there and it was followed by Beautiful South's Don't Marry Her, F**k Me......
is is and isnt isnt

Neilatrone

#17 Post by Neilatrone » Mon 11 Feb 2019, 1:44 pm

Greendrake wrote:
Sun 10 Feb 2019, 10:11 pm
Neilatrone wrote:
Sun 10 Feb 2019, 1:45 pm
It doesn’t often snow at Christmas..........in Dubai, United Arab Emirates!
Wow! Was it the fanclub or new version?
Was a couple of years ok so I can’t remember. But it was stunning as it’s rare to hear a Christmas song let alone a Pet Shop Boys song, in public!

Drico One

#18 Post by Drico One » Mon 11 Feb 2019, 8:54 pm

In a car with a college friend, a few years after graduating, going to a former classmate's funeral with the radio on. "Highway to Hell" was quickly followed by "It's a sin."

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

jrusher12

#19 Post by jrusher12 » Mon 11 Feb 2019, 10:10 pm

Well the place wasn't odd - a bookshop cafe. But it sticks in my mind. The shop sold albums too. It was the week of the Fundemental release. They played Soddam & Gomarrh over the speakers. Two elderly, quite prim and proper ladies listening. Cue much spluttering of tea and comments about the appalling nature of modernity etc. That a PSB track had engendered such a reaction was marvellous. Still should have been a single.

Drico One

#20 Post by Drico One » Mon 11 Feb 2019, 10:19 pm

jrusher12 wrote:
Mon 11 Feb 2019, 10:10 pm
Well the place wasn't odd - a bookshop cafe. But it sticks in my mind. The shop sold albums too. It was the week of the Fundemental release. They played Soddam & Gomarrh over the speakers. Two elderly, quite prim and proper ladies listening. Cue much spluttering of tea and comments about the appalling nature of modernity etc. That a PSB track had engendered such a reaction was marvellous. Still should have been a single.
Didn't EMI talk them out of that?

Trevor Horn does a great job on this, but I still find the song itself a little twee. It's the verses that let it down for me, but the chorus is tremendous.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

retrofuturist

#21 Post by retrofuturist » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 5:14 am

Greetings,
Drico One wrote:
Mon 11 Feb 2019, 10:19 pm
Trevor Horn does a great job on this, but I still find the song itself a little twee. It's the verses that let it down for me, but the chorus is tremendous.
The drums could also be a bit more electronic / harder in order to better match the rest of the arrangement, IMO.

It's a good song, but it doesn't quite work. It's a little like Discoteca in the sense that despite all manner of attempts at constructing a seven-inch version, they couldn't really work out exactly how it was meant to sound.

Retro.

agent doris

#22 Post by agent doris » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 9:45 am

Whilst taking to Neil on a staircase at a hotel in Birmingham! Someone phoned me, and at the time my ringtone was West End girls (Grum remix). I carried on chatting hoping he wouldn’t notice... luckily I don’t think he did..!

ArtHist

#23 Post by ArtHist » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 11:09 am

''The View from Your Balcony'' just played on Homes Under the Hammer (BBC1). The property in question must have had a fitted kitchen or something ; )

daveid

#24 Post by daveid » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 12:49 pm

ArtHist wrote:
Tue 12 Feb 2019, 11:09 am
''The View from Your Balcony'' just played on Homes Under the Hammer (BBC1). The property in question must have had a fitted kitchen or something ; )
Don't forget to tell Wayne! :D

Marie loves PSB

#25 Post by Marie loves PSB » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 1:20 pm

Our local "ish" shopping centre always has PSB playing. Someone must be a fan there. Also, in the shops often there too. ASDA at Christmas was another. The BBC1 programme Homes Under The Hammer often has a PSB track playing on it. Good taste! :lol: (Sorry, ArtHist - has already mentioned about Homes Under The Hammer).

pethead

#26 Post by pethead » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 4:39 pm

In the late 1990s, as I was travelling in a public routed minibus in my hometown, the driver played Alternative cassette on his audio system, much to my surprise and excitement.

Sandy Shaw

#27 Post by Sandy Shaw » Wed 13 Feb 2019, 7:36 pm

Luna Park, on a plane, (several times before a Virgin Atlantic flight). This was repeated on the way home too.
What's for supper?

onzio

#28 Post by onzio » Thu 14 Feb 2019, 10:52 am

A summer night of 2017, at a gas station close to my house.
There were 2 food trucks on the opposite side of each other, one doing pasta, one doing panini.
I was sitting eating by the pasta one and Go west started playing. A few second later the panini one started playing Suburbia.
All the situation was odd, confusing and out of time, but it was also a complete PSB triumph!
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

y3potential

#29 Post by y3potential » Thu 14 Feb 2019, 4:09 pm

onzio wrote:
Thu 14 Feb 2019, 10:52 am
A summer night of 2017, at a gas station close to my house.
There were 2 food trucks on the opposite side of each other, one doing pasta, one doing panini.
I was sitting eating by the pasta one and Go west started playing. A few second later the panini one started playing Suburbia.
All the situation was odd, confusing and out of time, but it was also a complete PSB triumph!

I suppose it would have been beyond surreal if one of them had played The Truck Driver And His Mate.. :lol:
Do you know the difference between the two genders..?

S-sense

#30 Post by S-sense » Thu 14 Feb 2019, 4:26 pm

Just before their Concert at the Poppodium Tilburg in 2016 i stepped into a very nice cafe just around the corner of the venue (i think it was the "Studio").
They played PSB only all day including the more obscure tracks from Alternative, they even had "Super" Menues and Pet Shop Boys Snacks.
Maybe thats not too "odd", but to hear my favourite Band in such a wonderful cafe and to feel the appreciation felt quite surreal. I was 13 again.