The Forgotten Child - Production credit(s)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
joe stalin

The Forgotten Child - Production credit(s)

#1 Post by joe stalin » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 1:08 pm

As shared on the other thread, I'm really enjoying the forgotten child (well the first 2 mins 30 seconds anyway). I'm struck by the production technique used on Neil's voice. Not something we've had from Stuart Price.

Also... is Pete Gleadall still on board ? Nothing on his twitter account relating to Agenda ?

Anyone else preferring this warmer more stripped down production vibe ?

geowayne

Re: The Forgotten Child - Production credit(s)

#2 Post by geowayne » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 2:35 pm

joe stalin wrote:
Sat 09 Feb 2019, 1:08 pm
As shared on the other thread, I'm really enjoying the forgotten child (well the first 2 mins 30 seconds anyway). I'm struck by the production technique used on Neil's voice. Not something we've had from Stuart Price.

Also... is Pete Gleadall still on board ? Nothing on his twitter account relating to Agenda ?

The lack of production credits is one of the things I miss most about the "digital age" and downloads. I wish the Boys would publish the credits on their website when such tracks are released as downloads, or that, say, pdf files listing the credits would download along with the music when you buy it.

That being said, I'm sure the credits will appear on the physical EP sleeve when it becomes available with Annually in mid-April. I just wish we didn't have to wait until then.

BoyStrange

#3 Post by BoyStrange » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 2:40 pm

geowayne wrote:
Sat 09 Feb 2019, 2:35 pm
joe stalin wrote:

The lack of production credits is one of the things I miss most about the "digital age" and downloads. I wish the Boys would publish the credits on their website when such tracks are released as downloads, or that, say, pdf files listing the credits would download along with the music when you buy it.

That being said, I'm sure the credits will appear on the physical EP sleeve when it becomes available with Annually in mid-April. I just wish we didn't have to wait until then.
Are we even sure that Tennant/Lowe are the only composers/writers of the songs on the EP?

geowayne

#4 Post by geowayne » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 3:02 pm

BoyStrange wrote:
Sat 09 Feb 2019, 2:40 pm
geowayne wrote:
Sat 09 Feb 2019, 2:35 pm
joe stalin wrote:

Are we even sure that Tennant/Lowe are the only composers/writers of the songs on the EP?
No, so far we're not. I'm assuming it on my website because I suspect the Boys would have said something about co-writers on their website, but I may be proven wrong. Certainly, as soon as I learn whether there are any other computers, I'll add them to the credits on my site.

utterlypsb

#5 Post by utterlypsb » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 10:27 pm

Love Neil's lower register.
Wonder if this is just a less treated vocal. Sounds much more natural. And ever so British!
Many roads will cross through many lives, but somehow we'll survive

le petit corbusier

#6 Post by le petit corbusier » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 10:35 pm

utterlypsb wrote:Love Neil's lower register.
Wonder if this is just a less treated vocal. Sounds much more natural. And ever so British!
Yes, he sounds great, but if you listen closely you will find there are actually some trippy effects applied to his voice in that song. The instrumental end is Into thin air part 2, which can only be a good thing.
Look left, then right
And run for your life

glennjridge

#7 Post by glennjridge » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 11:22 pm

I have said a couple times that his vocals sound NOTICEABLY better on Agenda than any of the recent releases. whoever the producer is, or technician,he brought back that doubled sheen like he did indeed get in the Gleadall era

le petit corbusier

#8 Post by le petit corbusier » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 11:34 pm

glennjridge wrote:I have said a couple times that his vocals sound NOTICEABLY better on Agenda than any of the recent releases. whoever the producer is, or technician,he brought back that doubled sheen like he did indeed get in the Gleadall era
Totally agree. The last part of OSM is fantastic and Neil's voice sounds incredible. Earlier I was in the underground listening to the ep and kept remembering the shock I got the first time I listened to the studio version of Vocal and how weird Neil sounded to me. Anyway, I like what Stuart Price has done for PSB as a whole so far, and can't wait for the third record of the trilogy.
Look left, then right
And run for your life

BlackPanther

#9 Post by BlackPanther » Sun 10 Feb 2019, 4:12 am

joe stalin wrote:
I'm struck by the production technique used on Neil's voice. Not something we've had from Stuart Price.
The vocals are double-tracked. Which was also done on most of the tracks on Electric and Super.

scousepsbfan

#10 Post by scousepsbfan » Sun 10 Feb 2019, 3:35 pm

I love the fact the EP tracks don't have that massive audible breath before each line that Neil sings like some recent album tracks. Really irritates me especially on the verses of The Pop Kids. Hope the new album has better produced vocals as well.
If anyone can the Action Man can.

toasterinthebath

#11 Post by toasterinthebath » Mon 11 Feb 2019, 3:20 am

If you click on 'more info' under the new videos on YouTube you will find the following information:

The four tracks were produced by Tim Powell and Pet Shop Boys and recorded towards the end of last year. They will not be included on Pet Shop Boys’ next album which is being produced by Stuart Price and is due for release in the autumn.