Satirically

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
BoyStrange

Re: Satirically

#16 Post by BoyStrange » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 2:37 pm

Dog wrote:
Sat 09 Feb 2019, 1:24 pm
BoyStrange wrote:In what way is "Where the streets have no name (I can't take my eyes off you)" satirical?
Geowayne has a great explanation:

It’s certain, however, that they had something much more in mind. In fact, this track is one of the most insidious deconstructions of rock mythology that you're likely to find anywhere. It completely takes the wind out of U2's sails, essentially revealing the original to be precisely the dance track that it is but tries hard not to be. This is underscored in the video and during their "Performance" tour through the use of imagery from the American West, albeit with fey twists. "In our live concert," Neil has stated, "'Streets' was meant to be totally the opposite of anything U2 would ever be—all these dancers and me in a pink satin suit." Turning it into a medley with such an innocuous love song further subverts the song's lyrical mythos, even trivializing it. A musical non sequitur, it can only be explained as outrageous satire, implicitly suggesting that there's little if any substantive difference between the two songs.
I don't understand. If this song is satire, who is getting ridiculed in it?

Dog

#17 Post by Dog » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 4:40 pm

BoyStrange wrote:
Dog wrote:
Sat 09 Feb 2019, 1:24 pm
BoyStrange wrote:In what way is "Where the streets have no name (I can't take my eyes off you)" satirical?
Geowayne has a great explanation:

It’s certain, however, that they had something much more in mind. In fact, this track is one of the most insidious deconstructions of rock mythology that you're likely to find anywhere. It completely takes the wind out of U2's sails, essentially revealing the original to be precisely the dance track that it is but tries hard not to be. This is underscored in the video and during their "Performance" tour through the use of imagery from the American West, albeit with fey twists. "In our live concert," Neil has stated, "'Streets' was meant to be totally the opposite of anything U2 would ever be—all these dancers and me in a pink satin suit." Turning it into a medley with such an innocuous love song further subverts the song's lyrical mythos, even trivializing it. A musical non sequitur, it can only be explained as outrageous satire, implicitly suggesting that there's little if any substantive difference between the two songs.
I don't understand. If this song is satire, who is getting ridiculed in it?
By turning a rock song into a pop song, and by combining it with a throwaway disco track, they are ridiculing the pomposity and mythology of rock music.
Woof.

SynthMan Wales

#18 Post by SynthMan Wales » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 7:08 pm

Dog wrote:
Sat 09 Feb 2019, 10:05 am
leesmapman wrote:
Sat 09 Feb 2019, 9:47 am
I Get Along?
Hmmm... It's tricky this, isn't it?
The thing is that it weren't for Neil's own commentary about the song, I wouldn't have necessarily had a clue as to who it was about.

The satire or subject is not immediate... at least to these ears.

Dog

#19 Post by Dog » Sun 10 Feb 2019, 9:59 am

SynthMan Wales wrote:
Dog wrote:
Sat 09 Feb 2019, 10:05 am
leesmapman wrote:
Sat 09 Feb 2019, 9:47 am
I Get Along?
Hmmm... It's tricky this, isn't it?
The thing is that it weren't for Neil's own commentary about the song, I wouldn't have necessarily had a clue as to who it was about.

The satire or subject is not immediate... at least to these ears.
“I’ve been trying not to cry when I’m in the public eye”

I think it’s also worth saying that Neil’s lyrics often demonstrate a degree of sympathy for the subject matter. On balance, it’s actually pretty rare that he’s taking the piss.

A song like Twenty-something could easily be satirical, but for me there’s too much pathos there: “sometimes it’s hard day to day to pay your way”

Flamboyant is also a tough one to call - there’s quite a bit of admiration in there: “it’s not even demeaning... it all takes courage”
Woof.

NikacP0kac

#20 Post by NikacP0kac » Thu 14 Feb 2019, 8:11 pm

Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

domino

#21 Post by domino » Thu 14 Feb 2019, 8:28 pm

NikacP0kac wrote:
Thu 14 Feb 2019, 8:11 pm
https://www.facebook.com/petshopboys/ph ... =3&theater

They nicked your idea!
Give stupidity a chance
Shopping
How can you expect to be taken seriously?
Shameless
Opportunities [Let‘s make lots of money]
What are we going to do about the rich?
Integral
Single
Flamboyant
Ego music
On social media
The former enfant terrible
Hell
I‘m with stupid

Dog

#22 Post by Dog » Thu 14 Feb 2019, 11:14 pm

NikacP0kac wrote:https://www.facebook.com/petshopboys/ph ... =3&theater

They nicked your idea!

Ha! That’s cool.

*waves* Hello Neil!

Here’s the final playlist I arrived that. Thanks to everyone for their input. I think this is a fuller, better list than the new “official” one Image

Satirically

Give stupidity a chance
On social media
What are we going to do about the rich?
Opportunities (let’s make lots of money)
Shopping
How can you expect to be taken seriously?
Where the streets have no name (I can’t take my eyes off you)
Yesterday, when I was mad
Shameless
Single
Delusions of grandeur
Call me old-fashioned
Positive role model
The night I fell in love
Flamboyant
I’m with Stupid
Integral
The former enfant terrible
Your early stuff
Ego music
Hell
Love is a bourgeois construct
Get it online
Groovy
The dictator decides

Woof.

Dog

#23 Post by Dog » Thu 14 Feb 2019, 11:34 pm

By the way, inspired by “The forgotten child” I’ve also compiled a Spotify playlist which is intended to include all their ballads. I’ve called it Pet Shop Boys Slush... I’m sure this is inspired by a title Chris suggested for a ballads album or compilation but can’t remember where this was quoted. Can anyone else remember?
Woof.

TwizzleUK

#24 Post by TwizzleUK » Fri 15 Feb 2019, 12:43 pm

I see Pet Shop Boys have shared this playlist on their official social media posts this morning - well done!

Dog

#25 Post by Dog » Fri 15 Feb 2019, 12:48 pm

TwizzleUK wrote:I see Pet Shop Boys have shared this playlist on their official social media posts this morning - well done!
It’s actually their own (shorter) version Image
Woof.