Any insight...

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Bulldog

Any insight...

#1 Post by Bulldog » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 2:48 pm

...on why they chose not to produce the Agenda songs with Stuart Price? Possibly not to give away a preview of the sound of the new album? From what's been written here so far TFC might be slightly too delicate for his rather heavy-handed approach on production, but the other 3 songs seem to suit his style.
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

jasonjohn

Re: Any insight...

#2 Post by jasonjohn » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 2:58 pm

Maybe they just wanted to mix it up a bit.

Three albums in a row, after all.

Palette cleanser before the final course?

tottenhammattspurs

#3 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 3:35 pm

Because they couldn't release Super : Further Listening...
is is and isnt isnt

glennjridge

#4 Post by glennjridge » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 4:19 pm

Quite frankly I prefer they work with this producer than stuart. But really does it matter? we always hear the demos after and they always sound very close to the finished product so I’m not sure the producer brings anything to the party anyways

leesmapman

#5 Post by leesmapman » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 4:24 pm

They were probably not in the same style as the rest of the tracks.

Dog

#6 Post by Dog » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 4:34 pm

My guess is they sat down with Stuart in their first meetings to discuss the new album and started to form a view on what kind of album they would make, and which tracks would best articulate this vision. At that point, when it would have become clear that the Agenda tracks were somewhat standalone, they would have removed them from the album sessions, but still had a desire to issue them while they were at their most relevant - and then rush recorded them over their Christmas break.
Woof.

Future Lover

#7 Post by Future Lover » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 4:49 pm

Dog wrote:
Thu 07 Feb 2019, 4:34 pm
My guess is they sat down with Stuart in their first meetings to discuss the new album and started to form a view on what kind of album they would make, and which tracks would best articulate this vision. At that point, when it would have become clear that the Agenda tracks were somewhat standalone, they would have removed them from the album sessions, but still had a desire to issue them while they were at their most relevant - and then rush recorded them over their Christmas break.
Not to mention that Anually 2019 has probably sold the same amount as last year in just a couple of days! Your guess is completely plausible, really.

y3potential

#8 Post by y3potential » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 7:39 pm

I wonder if Pete Gleadall had any role or input with these new EP tracks..??
Do you know the difference between the two genders..?

MikeyC

#9 Post by MikeyC » Fri 08 Feb 2019, 4:30 am

Could be a budgetary issue! Stuart probably comes at a discount considering he's married to PSBs' manager, but an EP right before the new LP? That's a step too far!

(just some speculation!) :)

Danimal

#10 Post by Danimal » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 5:40 am

Dog wrote:
Thu 07 Feb 2019, 4:34 pm
This.