Grateful, beyond belief

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Straight_Talker

Grateful, beyond belief

#1 Post by Straight_Talker » Wed 06 Feb 2019, 10:51 pm

I’m loving this “Agenda” release. I couldn’t give a rats arse if Neil wants to rant about things that bother him. It’s his and Chris’ art, no one else’s. By all means disagree with his sentiments but do not state that he shouldn’t be political or anything else for that matter. Produce your own art if you want. BRAVO Boys...thanks for the exciting year that you are giving us PetHeads.

PS: If you plan to tone down the strobes and banging in your next tour (I dearly hope you don’t) at least keep “Vocal” just as it is..! (It’s worth the entrance fee alone!)
More strobes and BANGING, please!

glennjridge

Re: Grateful, beyond belief

#2 Post by glennjridge » Wed 06 Feb 2019, 10:58 pm

Oh TOTALLY. what a surprise this EP is. alot of us have always been talking about how great it would be if we got a surprise release from Neil and Chris and BOOM...it finally happens. 4 new songs essentially in the span of a couple days! and so far I've bought "stupidity,Social media" and heard a bit of rich" on the Australian I-tunes and this is just a total high quality release and I think these would def be worthy to be on the new CD and I much prefer this producer over whats his face from SUPER. anyways thanks Neil and Chris for this surprise, its appreciated!!

tucky101

#3 Post by tucky101 » Wed 06 Feb 2019, 11:00 pm

Hear hear.

I posted on another thread that this release has put a smile on my face for the first time in ages.

Have read so many stupid petty nit picking comments on this site over the past few days, beggars belief.

Probably from trump sympathisers or people who voted to leave.😂

Spittingcat

#4 Post by Spittingcat » Wed 06 Feb 2019, 11:18 pm

#blessed

leesmapman

#5 Post by leesmapman » Wed 06 Feb 2019, 11:33 pm

Straight_Talker wrote:
Wed 06 Feb 2019, 10:51 pm
I’m loving this “Agenda” release. I couldn’t give a rats arse if Neil wants to rant about things that bother him. It’s his and Chris’ art, no one else’s. By all means disagree with his sentiments but do not state that he shouldn’t be political or anything else for that matter. Produce your own art if you want. BRAVO Boys...thanks for the exciting year that you are giving us PetHeads.
Agreed. PSB have always been political. I don't understand why people are upset about it.

Also, I think this is one of their funniest releases.

Gabby

#6 Post by Gabby » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 12:10 am

I count myself as one of the grateful.

These songs are far from awful, actually pretty catchy and have a lot more to say than maybe some give credit for.

I remember "back in the day" someone critiquing "Shopping" for it's banal lyrical content - the song and it's meaning was entirely lost on them. I equate the negative sentiment to that - there's definitely depth to GSAC and OSM and if people choose not to look for it, that sadly is their loss.

Ghost within this house

#7 Post by Ghost within this house » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 12:23 am

I agree that the grumbles are rather pathetic. I suppose the one substantial gripe is that these songs lack the bite of satire that made Actually a great album. That album saw the social mores of Thatcherism from specific viewpoints, with Neil invested in a variety of roles. The Agenda songs (thus far) are, by Neil's own classification, parody, not satire, and while satire is surely dead (replaced in the main by art forms that are either obtuse pastiche or unfiltered rage), parody feels a bit like an artistic 'get out of jail free card' here...
Gunpoint has a firm voice

Dipso

#8 Post by Dipso » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 3:45 am

De-lurking to add my agreement with the O.P. I'm thrilled about Agenda - it's fabulous to wake up to a new song and video every day.

In the social media age, we all think our own opinions are oh-so very important, but we're not much interested in listening to what anyone else has to say. Every time a musician/actor/footballer expresses a political opinion, there's a predictable chorus of "stay in your lane" from those whose views do not align. It's exhausting. Neil can write and sing whatever he wants. If you agree with his sentiments; fine. If you don't; fine. He doesn't need anyone's permission or approval. None of us does.
Prick up your ears.

Andie

#9 Post by Andie » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 9:56 am

#Loving it all
In a robot world, machinery is sighing, I thought I heard one crying

NikacP0kac

#10 Post by NikacP0kac » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 11:49 am

I have On Social Media on repeat - this I feel is going to become a modern classic, just like Leaving, Vocal, The Pop Kids or Love etc.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

le petit corbusier

#11 Post by le petit corbusier » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 11:56 am

NikacP0kac wrote:I have On Social Media on repeat - this I feel is going to become a modern classic, just like Leaving, Vocal, The Pop Kids or Love etc.
Yep! And I've come to terms with GSAC production since I lowered the bass on my headphones...
Look left, then right
And run for your life

alig

#12 Post by alig » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 6:36 pm

Straight_Talker wrote:
Wed 06 Feb 2019, 10:51 pm

PS: If you plan to tone down the strobes and banging in your next tour (I dearly hope you don’t) at least keep “Vocal” just as it is..! (It’s worth the entrance fee alone!)
You sound quite shallow.
"John 3:16."

Old Soak

#13 Post by Old Soak » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 6:52 pm

I'm loving the surprise, a new track a day to savour and I don't miss the irony of writing about social media whilst using those channels and the Internet generally to put it out there. The video for On social media is amongst their finest, the sense of Tongue in cheek parody simply delicious - and all with a song that is up there in their Top 10 of all time in my book. 2019 is shaping up to be a classic year already, and for people around Neil and Chris' age the sense of wondering where the world you knew has gone isn't lost on me. This far into a career and using their own label they have every right to write whatever they want, they own us nothing but have given us so much. How many artists play safe with Christmas albums or The Great American Songbook or orchestral reinterpretations of their back catalogue? They could be doing that, but they've got more class and integrity than that. I get if you don't like the politics of these tracks, but that's been a part of PSB since the early days, just not so obvious. Enjoy another purple patch, Agenda is fabulous.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Future Lover

#14 Post by Future Lover » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 6:59 pm

alig wrote:
Thu 07 Feb 2019, 6:36 pm
You sound quite shallow.
You sound pressed for no reason in particular. But I'm not gonna go and reply to your every hateful post.

Disco.

#15 Post by Disco. » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 7:18 pm

Thanks Neil and Chris for this great surprise.