New EP in April: Agenda

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
ArtHist

Re: New EP in April: Agenda

#511 Post by ArtHist » Mon 11 Feb 2019, 8:02 pm

NotInvisible wrote:
Mon 11 Feb 2019, 7:58 pm
Old Soak wrote:
Mon 11 Feb 2019, 5:04 pm
Who else thinks a new T-shirt as below available at concerts and via their website would sell by the bucketload?
For a group so famous for its graphic design sense, their t-shirt game has been curiously terrible over the years. I don't think #blessed would improve that track record. What would be great is a retro line - the cover of Being Boring on white, for example. The Can you forgive her?? puppets and so on.
The back of Chris's head on the Performance t-shirt was perfect!

Parkol

#512 Post by Parkol » Mon 11 Feb 2019, 9:07 pm

I understand what PSB mean in The Forgotten Child, but I think it would be also about something else.
So, I created a short animated video with this song.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Btv1ENLlfhR ... hare_sheet

ArtHist

#513 Post by ArtHist » Mon 11 Feb 2019, 9:37 pm

Parkol wrote:
Mon 11 Feb 2019, 9:07 pm
I understand what PSB mean in The Forgotten Child, but I think it would be also about something else.
So, I created a short animated video with this song.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Btv1ENLlfhR ... hare_sheet
Love the sentiment and your other work is stunning!

Parkol

#514 Post by Parkol » Mon 11 Feb 2019, 9:49 pm

ArtHist wrote:
Mon 11 Feb 2019, 9:37 pm
Love the sentiment and your other work is stunning!
Thank you.

Drico One

Re: New EP on April: Agenda

#515 Post by Drico One » Mon 11 Feb 2019, 10:05 pm

daveid wrote:
Fri 08 Feb 2019, 10:03 am
Is there some kind of PSB law now that states no b side or bonus tracks shall run beyond 3:33. If I have one major gripe with these tracks and most of the recent b sides is that they feel really truncated and don't have the capacity to develop or breathe. I mean Some speculation is over 6 minutes and it benefits the music enormously. It's also annoying in that I've spent the best part of 40 quid on just 13 minutes of content.
Funnily enough, I take the opposite view: none of these tracks overstay their welcome...assuming you welcome them in the first place. Each one is a short, sharp shock. I never really rated Some speculation, which I found meandering. Now that you've mentioned it, I never really rated anything from the Yesterday when I was mad single package. Euroboy was filler, too. That was one of their releases that really passed me by.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Drico One

#516 Post by Drico One » Mon 11 Feb 2019, 10:13 pm

SynthMan Wales wrote:
Sat 09 Feb 2019, 8:12 am
Agenda is Punk, isn't it?

An EP released by an independent label that has songs no longer than a couple of minutes, designed to provoke and express dissatisfaction with society.

It is the New Wave element in PSB's DNA in the ascendent.
It's certainly been a while since they've been quite so provocative. As much as I love the string of singles they've had in this decade, they've not really attempted to confront people in same manner that, say, Opportunites or Where the streets have no name did. They could have done so with Fugitive, but opted against. Free of the big label, they can pretty much do what they like.

Drico.

Drico One

#517 Post by Drico One » Mon 11 Feb 2019, 10:35 pm

G_Goalden wrote:
Thu 07 Feb 2019, 8:51 pm
I was wondering what people's thoughts are on trickling out the new album tracks like this.

I've really enjoyed getting to know each song individually and then seeing them come together as a whole.

I guess people would have the option of pre-listening or waiting until the final day and listening to the whole album. Thoughts?
They made an event of it. I agree, each track could be absorbed intensely before another one dropped. My feeling was that it made no sense to rush to conclusions on the basis of, say, Give stupidity a chance. This EP was a concept, so it was enjoyable to put each piece of the jigsaw together over the week to make sense of it all. Agenda has a very strong personality as a result, and is cohesive in a way that, say, Disco 3 wasn't.

As for the album, I'd be happy enough to have a track a day for two weeks, but I wonder if it would work artistically. Releasing, say, Pazzo on any given day would probably underwhelm as it's more of an interlude on Super than part of any cohesive whole.

Drico.

glennjridge

#518 Post by glennjridge » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 12:00 am

the downside to them trickling out tracks daily must be the mental health of Neil and Chris.imagine how disheartening it would be if its a case of
FIRST DAY dont like that one
SECOND DAY dont like that one
THIRD DAY meh
FOURTH DAY oh this ones ok
dont like that one. day after day. at first they would be like "wait to they hear this one!" and then get brutalized, and then same the next day, at some point they would be like "screw this".

nickname

#519 Post by nickname » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 12:17 am

There is a Spanish (and very influent) web-site called JNSP (which is vey PSB friendly) talking about Agenda and I agree with it:
https://jenesaispop.com/2019/02/11/3550 ... ys-agenda/

It rates the album: 6'5/10

For them, the best songs in musical terms is On The Media. It says PSB went for the easy way, trying to create songs which are easy to remind and be used in demostrations. Specially with the song, What Are We Going About The Rich?. Yes, I'm agree.

The rest of the article talks about the political way of the EP.

NotInvisible

#520 Post by NotInvisible » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 2:49 am

glennjridge wrote:
Tue 12 Feb 2019, 12:00 am
at first they would be like "wait to they hear this one!" and then get brutalized, and then same the next day, at some point they would be like "screw this".
I imagine they are far more interested in the overwhelmingly positive media coverage than whether a handful of retrograde dimwits complain about having their imbecilic political views destroyed in song.

NotInvisible

#521 Post by NotInvisible » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 2:50 am

ArtHist wrote:
Mon 11 Feb 2019, 8:02 pm
The back of Chris's head on the Performance t-shirt was perfect!
Totally agreed!

BlackPanther

#522 Post by BlackPanther » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 2:45 pm

In case you were wondering about the photography credits of Agenda. To me that picture didn't look like it had "PSB quality". So I did some searching.

Appearantly standards have been lowered to using stock photos now. Gone are the days of great videos and brilliant photographs. It's a shame, really.

https://dissolve.com/stock-photo/Woman- ... 007-15-066

NikacP0kac

#523 Post by NikacP0kac » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 2:49 pm

Why would the standards be down? The EP ridicules the mindset of today, so using a stock photo is just another satirical move. You lot are taking everything too seriously..
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

james23_uk

#524 Post by james23_uk » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 3:35 pm

Ha ha. Love it!

They should have kept the watermarks in too :mrgreen:

BlueSwan

#525 Post by BlueSwan » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 3:37 pm

Well, I think most would agree that The Forgotten Child is great, but as for the rest...not exactly classic PSB.

*Puts on I'm Not Scared*
http://www.soundcloud.com/blueswan (Blue Swan tracks, my solo tracks and remixes)

http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)