How different are your PSB tastes from those of the majority of PSB fans?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Greendrake

How different are your PSB tastes from those of the majority of PSB fans?

#1 Post by Greendrake » Thu 17 Jan 2019, 11:43 pm

How often do you notice that you rather dislike certain PSB stuff that the majority of fans seem to highly appreciate?
How often do you find that the majority of PSB fans are not enthusiastic about certain PSB stuff that you like so much?

For example, I usually skip:
  • How can you expect to be taken seriously? when listening to Behaviour
  • Young offender when listening to Very
  • After all when listening to Battleship Potemkin (yes I do dislike this song)

On the other hand, I am absolutely stunned by One-hit wonder and listen to it very often. Noone else seems to even have this track in their top 10 of the last decade, let alone on the first place.

NikacP0kac

Re: How different are your PSB tastes from those of the majority of PSB fans?

#2 Post by NikacP0kac » Fri 18 Jan 2019, 1:15 am

I don't really skip Seriously? - I rather replace it with the 12" Attitude remix, fits better with the sound of the album.

I sometimes tend to skip Metamorphosis, because I find it fu*king terrible, but that's about it.
Oh yeah, Ego Music might also fit in that category, but I rarely listen to Elysium anyway.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Bulldog

#3 Post by Bulldog » Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:00 am

Love: Saturday Night Forever, Violence, Ego Music, Legacy.
Hate: Dictator decides (a poor rewriting of "I'm not scared"), I want a lover (terrible production, the Kraftwerk-like Bobby O demo sounds much better).
Last edited by Bulldog on Fri 18 Jan 2019, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

onzio

#5 Post by onzio » Fri 18 Jan 2019, 10:10 am

I tend to prefer the most melancholic songs instead of the big hi-nrg stompers.
I.e. I prefer Being Boring, Love Comes Quickly, Leaving, One Night to Integral, Go West, Bourgeoisie.
Strangest choices:
- I'm not very keen on: In His Immagination and It Always Comes as a Surprise, but everybody seems to love them
- I prefer: It's Alright album version to the single version
- I love: Before, Was that What It Was and Up Against It that everybody seems to hate.
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

domino

#6 Post by domino » Fri 18 Jan 2019, 10:39 am

I think sometimes you‘ll swim against the mainstream.

My examples of Album tracks I like: The night I fell in love, Before; I don‘t like: I want a dog, Love is a bourgeois construct, Twenty-something

scousepsbfan

#7 Post by scousepsbfan » Fri 18 Jan 2019, 11:46 am

I love Was it worth it, Metamorphosis, Ego music, Hold on and, wait for it, Winner. I must be one of the few PSB fans who really likes Winner. It would sound a million times better being sung by a young boy band entering Eurovision, but in terms of it's lyrical and musical content, and that killer middle-8, it is a masterpiece. By the same token, I hate Give It A Go with a passion. Must be the only PSB song I skip everytime. Mind you, I occasionally skip Vampires and The Only One on Nightlife because they knock me to sleep!
If anyone can the Action Man can.

Old Soak

#8 Post by Old Soak » Fri 18 Jan 2019, 5:26 pm

I don't really rate Behaviour, it was the flat, old fashioned analogue sound that did nothing for me and it was a huge disappointment after what came before. Can't fault Being Boring but the rest? Average. I loathe Where the streets have no name which to me always smacked of desparation to get a hit single from an album that doesn't contain any obvious candidates. Hate Thursday, marred by that appalling generic rap that smacked of trying to 'get down with the kidz'.

However I love Winner (HappySad version) that should have been on the album. Love Was that what it was? too to name two tracks mentioned above.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Old Soak

#9 Post by Old Soak » Fri 18 Jan 2019, 5:28 pm

Oh, and prefer the cute b side version of I want a dog to the Introspective version, although I rate both.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

jules

#10 Post by jules » Fri 18 Jan 2019, 5:35 pm

I love Legacy, winner, everything means something and don't like fluorescent, memory of the futur, inner sanctum.
You can take any pethead and you will always find differences and similarities in taste.
julien676.skyblog.com

ArtHist

#11 Post by ArtHist » Fri 18 Jan 2019, 6:46 pm

Can't listen to Elysium but love Bilingual.

Scottydog

#12 Post by Scottydog » Fri 18 Jan 2019, 7:27 pm

I love the whole Release album and I love New York City Boy AND Go West

oakey

#13 Post by oakey » Fri 18 Jan 2019, 9:02 pm

I like Winner, One hit wonder, West End Girls, was that what it was, Love comes quickly, Young offender and most of the stompers (Always on my mind, Paninaro, It’s a sin), and many of the ballads (Drunk, Your funny uncle, Only the wind) and Bilingual the album

Dislike It’s alright (the 10” version is the only one that is acceptable), Seriously, Vampires, Hold On, Your early Stuff, Footsteps, Love etc. (i guess the mid-tempo ones don’t always work for me)

Not too keen on the albums Behaviour incl Being Boring and Release, plus Go West, Before and Se a vida é

MikeyC

#14 Post by MikeyC » Sat 19 Jan 2019, 2:48 am

I'm in the "Love Saturday Night Forever" camp!! :)

Bjossi

#15 Post by Bjossi » Sat 19 Jan 2019, 8:32 am

Some points off the top of my head (in album order):
* I love listening to Atom Splitting. Not musically per say, I just find it so much fun, trippy and weird.

* Your Funny Uncle never did anything for me. I understand there is a story behind it and I give it credit for that, but for me to like a pure piano ballad its melody has to really capture me, this one didn't, unfortunately.

* I'm not a big fan of Behaviour. I do like its sound and some of the songs (like Being Boring and Seriously), it has some great B-sides and lots of extended mixes, but I find most of the songs on the main album to be dull, musically speaking.

* Not a big fan of Very, either. I do like Dreaming of the Queen, The Theatre and Go West but in general I don't like Very's sound, which is made worse by how loud and "busy" it is in general. I just need to listen to the first few seconds of Different Point of View or Young Offender and I'm already fatigued.

* I like Saturday Night Forever and Metamorphosis very much, the latter being my favourite track on Bilingual. I do wish it had gotten better lyrics though, but I can think past them pretty easily and just focus my mind on the melody and instrumentation.

* I don't mind the latter half of Nightlife, with the exception of The Only One which bores me to tears.

* I don't mind Winner or Hold On. They aren't my favourites but they aren't skippers either, I enjoy them when they show up.

* Vocal doesn't do much for me, but love Shouting in the Evening, such a fun crazy track.

* I very much enjoy Pazzo! and Happiness.