Popjustice, Christmas and "Always on my Mind"

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

tottenhammattspurs

Re: Popjustice, Christmas and "Always on my Mind"

#2 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Fri 21 Dec 2018, 10:10 pm

I wonder why Always On My Mind hasn’t recharted? Every other bollocrap Xmas track is in the UK top 100 and not even a sniff of Always on my mind. Don’t even get me started as to why doesn’t IDOSA Christmas get any airplay at all!
is is and isnt isnt

rashomon

#3 Post by rashomon » Sat 22 Dec 2018, 10:21 am

Not really very Christmassy I guess is the reason why it never re-appears in the charts at this time.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

PopArt

#4 Post by PopArt » Sun 23 Dec 2018, 1:22 pm

I do think Always on my mind gets overlooked. Whilst it isn't exactly 'Christmassy' it is a quintessential Christmas hit- a cover of a sentimental classic, done in an entirely memorable way, big budget video and a song that somehow caught the zeitgeist of the times. I can see why it doesn't appear on all of the Christmas compilations but the fact that it was a Christmas number one is nearly airbrushed out of history.

And I really, really don't understand why It doesn't often snow at Christmas fails to get more airplay each festive season. There is *so* much Christmas music played these days that radio programmers are constantly looking for different Christmas tunes to play and IDOSAC surely fits the bill. It's catchy, a radio friendly length, has a choir, some bells, some strings and a very wry take on the modern Christmas but with a warm and sentimental heart at its core. It's a perfect Christmas song for the compilations and extensive airplay each December. And yet it also gets almost entirely overlooked...

I must say, as an aside, I did at the time think that part of the reason for the slightly strange decision to re-record it in 2009 twelve years after the original version was an attempt to give PSB the guaranteed annual income of a Christmas song. But it hasn't transpired like that. Maybe they refuse permission for it to appear on the countless Christmas compilations each year.
I'm always waiting...

TwizzleUK

#5 Post by TwizzleUK » Sun 23 Dec 2018, 3:25 pm

Only place I hear it at Christmas is on the playlist in my local Morrisons supermarket - which is no doubt a national playlist in all their stores in the UK. So it gets some airplay there!

ZiggyPSB

#6 Post by ZiggyPSB » Sun 23 Dec 2018, 4:33 pm

There must be a whole bunch of Christmas number 1s that don't get played during the season. The relatively recent Xmas number 1, Rockabye by Clean Bandit (from 2016) I haven't heard for months. Not even the ultra popular double Xmas number 1 Bohemian Rhapsody I heard on the radio or the playlist at the shop I work in for a long time.

Speaking of Queen, no sign of their actual Xmas song Thank God Its Christmas either, or the lesser known A Winters Tale from the Made In Heaven album.
This is a song about boys and girls. You hear it playing all over the world.
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Marie loves PSB

#7 Post by Marie loves PSB » Sun 23 Dec 2018, 4:52 pm

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Fri 21 Dec 2018, 10:10 pm
Don’t even get me started as to why doesn’t IDOSA Christmas get any airplay at all!
This was on in our local ASDA on Friday. We thought we were hearing things. :lol:

Patrick Bateman

#8 Post by Patrick Bateman » Sun 23 Dec 2018, 9:05 pm

I've seen two different TOTP performances of it on Christmas hits shows on BBC Four in the last 24 hours.

That said, it's not actually a Christmas song; a brilliant track to be number one at Christmas but not actually Christmas-related in any way - not even in the cynical way that Stay by East 17 is with sleigh bells and costumes and snow in the video.

I think for those of us of a certain vintage, it will always have a Proustian Christmas rush associated with it, and that's probably why we think it should be more prominent at this time of year.

This was on when I got in last night and is actually really good at showcasing 'non-Christmas' songs that were hits at Christmas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... stmas-hits

Paninaro

#9 Post by Paninaro » Mon 24 Dec 2018, 11:17 am

Mel C's 30 UK Christmas No 1s that’s been on the music channels over the weekend has featured Always on my mind at number 27.