2019 Pet Shop Boys News: "Inner Sanctum DVD, touring, new album"

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
canveyboy

Re: 2019 Pet Shop Boys News: "Inner Sanctum DVD, touring, new album"

#61 Post by canveyboy » Thu 24 Jan 2019, 1:03 am

Drico One wrote:
Wed 23 Jan 2019, 3:54 pm
This is an interesting discussion. I am all for digital ownership. However, there is a tactility issue with that for many people. You can’t touch the “file” or pore over its artwork, read its sleevenotes, or generally wallow in the artefact itself in the way you would a vinyl record, CD, or DVD. As much as I find digital technology marvelous, we should admit as much. And, let’s be honest here, when you introduce hard drives and cloud storage and other concepts to people of a certain age, you are slowly watching a sizeable chunk of the public glaze over and lose the will to live.

I maintain for all the technological convenience of digital products, we are losing something in our rush to bin physical media. Sure, the “market” will decide, but that doesn’t mean it is always right as its selection of VHS over Betamax proved. And that last sentence shows just why I am the dinosaur I clearly am. 😊

Drico.
I do actually agree with everything you said here. In September 1987 when I first trundled home with my shiny new copy of Actually on LP, the first 30 mins in my bedroom was spent drooling over the glossy inner sleeve, reading all the credits, looking at the label, trying to imagine what the songs were going to be about from just reading the song titles, holding the vinyl in my hands, placing it on the turntable and lifting the arm across and waiting for the first sounds of One More Chance.....oooooh, that snare....the sleigh bells.....

But of course I was 15 then and that’s all I knew. That’s all there was. And I do miss that...to an extent. It was an exciting time to get into pop music and discover this other world. But for me (like you, a relic from the past, lol) I’m aware that those days, for me at least are behind me. There’s only so many times you can ‘pore over’ a CD booklet or a DVD case or look at a 12” cover. Unfortunately I’m at the age (47) where I really only care about the content, not the cover. I stopped buying PSB CD singles years ago, mostly because I couldn’t be bothered to go to the shops to try and find them - it became impossible in the end and with iTunes being so readily available it was far easier to just ‘download’ them. Electric became my first PSB album that I didn’t buy on CD. But from a tactile POV I still buy Annually and all their book releases etc but other than that it’s all digital - but I really do miss those days. One of my most favourite days ever was going into HMV to buy Alternative on double CD in that beautiful packaging with the hologram image and that exquisite book...and then as I was walking around the store I happened to notice their Top 40 video chart, a new entry at 17...PSB Discovery Live in Rio. WTF!!! No announcement in the NME, nothing in Literally, nothing on the premium rate telephone number, nothing....it just came out of nowhere but there it was, on the shelf in all its glory waiting for it to be purchased. I grabbed it quickly, bought it and took it home quickly in case it was a mistake and shouldn’t have been released lol. Getting home from work on that day was just the best ever. What first? Alternative or Discovery? But I confess, part of that whole enjoyment was the packaging, the book with Alternative, the sleeve of Discovery etc.

But times have changed or maybe I have because that’s just not important to me anymore like it was then. In the 90’s I loved lining up all my PSB VHS tapes - I think I had 12 commercial releases at one point. But now? Well, I have digitised all their VHS releases, Television, Showbusiness, ICHH, Discovery etc, scanned all the artworks and now they are stored forever digitally in my library. Never to deteriorate or fade away, artwork never to tear or crease. And I concede to some degree that it’ll never be as good as the magic of those original physical releases...but now I’m just not bothered anymore like I was when I was 15 in 1987. All I care about now is if I can access the music, film and videos. And having all those old tapes digitised forever means I’ll always be able to watch Television or Discovery whenever I want, wherever I am! It’s marvellous having the likes of all their old VHS releases as digital files with the artwork and even having them on my phone, getting up on a Sunday morning when everyone else is still in bed, earphones on, iPhone in hand, select ‘Promotion’ and enjoy 33 minutes of pure bliss! :)
Its taken me all of my life to find you

ZiggyPSB

#62 Post by ZiggyPSB » Thu 24 Jan 2019, 6:56 am

Interesting discussion, since it came at a time when Machinima, a YouTube channel that showcased video content made from in-game engines had either deleted or privatised all their videos totally without warning and thousands of hours of people's hard work may be lost forever. Nothing is safe on the internet.

Also speaking of forever camveyboy, I wouldn't use that word in that context so much. Anything could happen if you aren't careful when you could still lose everything you had on your computer. I lost a lot of stuff when my laptop hard drive died one day.

Basically there is no forever. Some things are less forever than others. If you have something tactile, you're probably not going to lose it unless there's a fire or something.
This is a song about boys and girls. You hear it playing all over the world.
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

canveyboy

#63 Post by canveyboy » Thu 24 Jan 2019, 9:55 am

ZiggyPSB wrote:
Thu 24 Jan 2019, 6:56 am
Interesting discussion, since it came at a time when Machinima, a YouTube channel that showcased video content made from in-game engines had either deleted or privatised all their videos totally without warning and thousands of hours of people's hard work may be lost forever. Nothing is safe on the internet.

Also speaking of forever camveyboy, I wouldn't use that word in that context so much. Anything could happen if you aren't careful when you could still lose everything you had on your computer. I lost a lot of stuff when my laptop hard drive died one day.

Basically there is no forever. Some things are less forever than others. If you have something tactile, you're probably not going to lose it unless there's a fire or something.
Whilst you’re right in general, as I said in an earlier post - all my digital data which is stored locally on external hard drives, is also fully backed up online. So if or when I do encounter a hard drive failure I can just download the whole lot again onto a new hard drive. I also have all of my family photos on 2 computers as well as online back up!

Pod

#64 Post by Pod » Thu 24 Jan 2019, 6:04 pm

I am proper old-skool. I love the physical format. For someone who has an extensive (and I mean extensive) collection of PSB music and memorabilia, to me digital is cold and soulless. I will only download something if it is unavailable elsewhere.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Marie loves PSB

#65 Post by Marie loves PSB » Thu 24 Jan 2019, 8:02 pm

Pod wrote:
Thu 24 Jan 2019, 6:04 pm
I am proper old-skool. I love the physical format. For someone who has an extensive (and I mean extensive) collection of PSB music and memorabilia, to me digital is cold and soulless. I will only download something if it is unavailable elsewhere.
I am the same Pod. I haven't got an extensive collection of PSB though. Nothing really special at all but happy with what I have got. I do not like digital downloads at all etc... They are cold!

gehegu

#66 Post by gehegu » Sat 26 Jan 2019, 10:59 pm

Same here! Even now I’m still buying some old second hand stuff like maxi singles (vinyl)

Izione

#67 Post by Izione » Sun 27 Jan 2019, 9:39 pm

It’s all about the vinyl
http://www.realizationmusic.co.uk
@realizationmsc

“Words make you think a thought. Music makes you feel a feeling. A song makes you feel a thought.”

oakey

#68 Post by oakey » Mon 28 Jan 2019, 8:13 am

Sad to see it's the end of physical releases if even die-hard fans go for downloads.
I fully understand why, don't get me wrong, but there is no joy for me in purchasing a download that is also usually overpriced (€0,99 per song?? Come on) or listening to spotify radio as a substitute for a 12" record or a CD (yes, I still buy CDs).

A DVD of Inner Sanctum is better than nothing I suppose... It should have been a 4K UHD bluray with Dolby Atmos of course, but I know that is wishful thinking unfortunately... would be happy to pay €25 for that.

tottenhammattspurs

#69 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Mon 28 Jan 2019, 7:33 pm

If it’s download only I will not buy it. I will illegally download it. I’m not paying upwards of £10 for something I can’t pick up, touch, look at or read over. I’d pay £25 for a physical blu Ray. I may only ever watch it once but it’ll be MINE. I’ll own it. I can touch it It can sit on my shelf. I’ll even rip it and occasionally watch the rip. But it’ll be MY rip. And I’ll own it.

You can stick download only release up yer arse.
is is and isnt isnt

leesmapman

#70 Post by leesmapman » Mon 28 Jan 2019, 8:24 pm

Imagine if Spotify stopped, like most online services in the past 20 years.

alig

#71 Post by alig » Mon 28 Jan 2019, 10:00 pm

Downloads are usurious. Like the e book scam. Why charge 12 quid for a Hundred lyrics and a poem for just a few bytes? No paper, no printing, no transportation, no retailer, no sales person. Naff off!
"John 3:16."

canveyboy

#72 Post by canveyboy » Tue 29 Jan 2019, 12:10 am

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Mon 28 Jan 2019, 7:33 pm
I will illegally download it.
Lol, good luck with that.

Xakrij

#73 Post by Xakrij » Tue 29 Jan 2019, 2:17 am

canveyboy wrote:
Tue 29 Jan 2019, 12:10 am
Hello...

I have managed to locate most things that I am looking for, PSB related or not, on sites not in USA or UK. :roll:
...shot in the fatal cause of frock-and-droll

Disco.

#74 Post by Disco. » Tue 29 Jan 2019, 7:35 am

So you are a criminal ?

canveyboy

#75 Post by canveyboy » Tue 29 Jan 2019, 7:54 am

Xakrij wrote:
Tue 29 Jan 2019, 2:17 am
canveyboy wrote:
Tue 29 Jan 2019, 12:10 am
Hello...

I have managed to locate most things that I am looking for, PSB related or not, on sites not in USA or UK. :roll:
I can pretty much guarantee that you will never be able to download a torrent/rip or otherwise of a PSB DVD or VHS release. They just don’t exist. If you search on any torrent site you will not find any PSB DVD releases. Yes you can find music, just like any other artist, but nobody is going to have a torrent available of Inner Sanctum when it’s finally released. It won’t happen. There will be zero demand for it so nobody is going to take the time to make that available. The only way you could download it illegally is to ask someone who’s bought it to rip it and send it to you. Short answer, it won’t be released on digital. So don’t panic!