2019 Pet Shop Boys News: "Inner Sanctum DVD, touring, new album"

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
canveyboy

Re: 2019 Pet Shop Boys News: "Inner Sanctum DVD, touring, new album"

#46 Post by canveyboy » Tue 22 Jan 2019, 8:22 am

Drico One wrote:
Mon 21 Jan 2019, 9:52 pm
As much as I am a fan of streaming, the supposed 24-7 availability of material was never what is was all about for me. Collectibility and curating is where it's at for plenty of us. When a content provider decides that it is no longer making available the content you subscribed to, then it's tough luck if you haven't added it to your physical collection.

I've got a rather large collection of soccer DVDs and Blu-rays - just the discs, mind. I act as my own curator. I am sure most, if not all, of this collection can be found online on YouTube or wherever in varying degrees of inferior quality, but that's not really going to help me derive pleasure from the material. I enjoy collecting it, curating it, burning it, storing it, cataloguing it, labelling it, archiving it, watching it, and knowing that it exists for as long as I tend to it and keep it safe. I may never watch it all again - but it's very nice to know that I can. It's a bit like a local library. I may not be a member, but it's nice to know I can join if I want to - and I would be alarmed if the government shut it down.

While all of this might seem like hard work to some, it's also what gives meaning to many collectors. It's a hobby. Digital streaming is fantastic, but it'll never be a substitute for physical collectibility for many of us. I still buy Pet Shop Boys CDs even though 99% of my listening is on my phone. Why? For all the reasons mentioned above.

I'll say this for streaming: it has certainly put a premium on physical formats. You really do 'need' to have a disc if you are going to go to the bother of collecting it. I just don't think access to streaming will ever replace that human need to hoard and compile - whether that 'need' is rational or not. It's why we wrote down our knowledge instead of simply talking to each other all those centuries ago. We need a record. It helps to capture and make sense of our experiences.

This show really should come out in high definition. People say it might cost too much. I say there was a time when Pet Shop Boys made artistic statements - regardless of the cost - simply for the sake of making an artistic statement. After all, did they really need to tour Performance? It lost money - but it is their most abiding artistic statement not put down on record. This show really would benefit from HD. Good quality DVD is highly watchable - it really is if authored properly - but HD is a standard now, not a luxury.

Drico.
Once you’ve purchased an HD film/TV show from iTunes it doesn’t disappear from your library if and when Apple decide to pull it from their store. It’s yours to keep forever. I’m not talking about digital streaming. I’m talking about digital ownership. Yes, most of us subscribe to streaming services and I agree that’s absolutely fine for Black Mirror or Bird Box or Star Trek etc but I still like to own my films but on digital. And not because I want to watch it on my phone either. I watch films/TV Shows/Concerts etc on my TV - I just prefer an HD digital file. I don’t have the physical space to store hundreds of blu ray discs and DVDs and I don’t think it’s fair that I should have to buy a blu ray disc to get the HD content. That would be no use to me anyway as I don’t own a blu ray player. It should be made available as a digital HD file as well as blu ray for those of us that don’t own the equipment, which means everybody has access to the HD version, it shouldn’t come with blu ray only. Besides, blu ray discs and dvd sales alike have plummeted year on year for the last 5 years and I don’t think it will be long before they both go the same way as VHS. The costs to manufacture compared to a digital source are incomparable.

Like yourself, I too have a large library of my favourite films and TV shows and concerts etc - it’s just all digital content instead of physical content. It’s all owned by me and stored digitally on my local drives - I like to own in the same way as you do - just digitally :)

But the ideal scenario for everyone would be a separate blu ray release and a separate digital HD release. Everyone has an option then. And even a separate DVD release too :)
Its taken me all of my life to find you

oakey

#47 Post by oakey » Tue 22 Jan 2019, 8:37 am

I hate apple so would never buy something in their apple-only format.

But of course I see the benefits of digital ownership, just make sure you have your NAS RAID mirrored because all hard drives will fail at some point and digital movies are too large to store in the cloud for most (unless you have deep pockets)

canveyboy

#48 Post by canveyboy » Tue 22 Jan 2019, 8:51 am

oakey wrote:
Tue 22 Jan 2019, 8:37 am

But of course I see the benefits of digital ownership, just make sure you have your NAS RAID mirrored because all hard drives will fail at some point and digital movies are too large to store in the cloud for most (unless you have deep pockets)
I have 5TB of external hard drive data (films, tv shows and music) and it’s all backed up online via Backblaze which costs £5 a month. So if a drive fails I then simply buy a new drive and re-download it from the online storage!

DJ Pat

#49 Post by DJ Pat » Tue 22 Jan 2019, 6:08 pm

Ltd edition disc maybe with extras
Live synth pop tracks you might have forgotten about.
https://soundcloud.com/user-152577839

Remark

#50 Post by Remark » Tue 22 Jan 2019, 10:31 pm

oakey wrote:
Hate on Apple all you want, but keep in mind this isn't an "apple thing" but a movie industry thing. The film companies and license holders require digital protection on their distributed files that are downloaded. iTunes has always supported multiple formats — including ripped DVDs and Blu Ray discs.
canveyboy wrote:
Tue 22 Jan 2019, 8:22 am
I don’t have the physical space to store hundreds of blu ray discs and DVDs and I don’t think it’s fair that I should have to buy a blu ray disc to get the HD content. Besides, blu ray discs and dvd sales alike have plummeted year on year for the last 5 years and I don’t think it will be long before they both go the same way as VHS. The costs to manufacture compared to a digital source are incomparable.
^ This. I am as much of a collector as anyone but it's so great to have the convenience of an HD digital file that requires no physical space, doesn't require bulky equipment, can be watched anywhere, and can be backed up remotely. I'm going to assume most of us on this forum are 35+ years in age so we tend to be more 'old school' with formats etc. No one I know below the age of 30 is collecting Blu Ray discs. It's all streaming and digital, which it really should be evolving to for the masses. Sure there'll always be collector-folk like us (take the resurgence of vinyl as a nod to that) but the masses have moved away from physical formats for sure.

canveyboy

#51 Post by canveyboy » Tue 22 Jan 2019, 11:44 pm

Remark wrote:
Tue 22 Jan 2019, 10:31 pm
oakey wrote:
Hate on Apple all you want, but keep in mind this isn't an "apple thing" but a movie industry thing. The film companies and license holders require digital protection on their distributed files that are downloaded. iTunes has always supported multiple formats — including ripped DVDs and Blu Ray discs.
canveyboy wrote:
Tue 22 Jan 2019, 8:22 am
I don’t have the physical space to store hundreds of blu ray discs and DVDs and I don’t think it’s fair that I should have to buy a blu ray disc to get the HD content. Besides, blu ray discs and dvd sales alike have plummeted year on year for the last 5 years and I don’t think it will be long before they both go the same way as VHS. The costs to manufacture compared to a digital source are incomparable.
^ This. I am as much of a collector as anyone but it's so great to have the convenience of an HD digital file that requires no physical space, doesn't require bulky equipment, can be watched anywhere, and can be backed up remotely. I'm going to assume most of us on this forum are 35+ years in age so we tend to be more 'old school' with formats etc. No one I know below the age of 30 is collecting Blu Ray discs. It's all streaming and digital, which it really should be evolving to for the masses. Sure there'll always be collector-folk like us (take the resurgence of vinyl as a nod to that) but the masses have moved away from physical formats for sure.
Absolutely spot on. Probably 80% of my digital video library is made up from my old ripped DVD’s. And as you say that is the beauty of iTunes and Apple TV. I can watch my purchased iTunes files but also everything else, ripped DVDs, YouTube rips etc! And like you said, no physical space required. No massive equipment, and in the flick of a button you can go from watching Pandemonium Live to Return Of The Jedi to 8 hours of Live Aid in a matter of seconds. No disc changing, wiping and cleaning, no filling up the lounge with shelves and shelves of plastic cases. And you have the best of both worlds with digital, you can watch it on your TV and also you have the convenience of copying it to your phone or tablet for portable viewing. I’m currently ripping all of these Top of the Pops repeats from the 80s on BBC4 from iPlayer. They’re never ever going to be released so I now have a fantastic growing digital library of over 100 classic episodes of 80s TOTP! It’s so great to scroll through the list of episodes on my TV....select an episode from ‘84, then watch a couple from 86 etc. I’m embracing digital. I love it, and as you say Rem, the masses have already ‘gone digital’.

Synthrobot

#52 Post by Synthrobot » Wed 23 Jan 2019, 12:13 am

I recently bought a HomePod and took out an Apple Music account. £100 if you pay annually. Of course I’ll still be buying PSB albums on CD and vinyl, but I think that’s it. And of course I’ll be buying Inner Sanctum on DVD (even though I have a 4K tv).

Harry

#53 Post by Harry » Wed 23 Jan 2019, 9:26 am

I like owning the beautiful artwork you get with PSB releases. It doesn’t take up much space. I only buy a DVD or a Blu-ray if I really like something. Same with CDs. They live in a small Ikea unit. Each album is a lovely ‘thing’.

I don’t have tech some of you have. I do have most of my music on iTunes but for special things, I like to have the ‘thing’. I do understand digital media, whenever I buy a CD or the lovely new Dr Who Blu-ray sets, there’s always someone who says ‘don’t you know you can just download it? Get with the times!’ I am with the times. I mostly buy digitally. I just think some of the joy is lost, particularly from lovely Farrow-designed Pets stuff, if it’s just virtual.
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

ype

#55 Post by ype » Wed 23 Jan 2019, 10:14 am

I keep hoping this thread will all of a sudden contain some news about an actual release. I don't think I've ever been more starved for some PSB-news than at this point in time.

daveid

#56 Post by daveid » Wed 23 Jan 2019, 10:22 am

ype wrote:
Wed 23 Jan 2019, 10:14 am
I keep hoping this thread will all of a sudden contain some news about an actual release. I don't think I've ever been more starved for some PSB-news than at this point in time.
Yes it's all very boring at the moment but not as bad as the truly awful drought of 2014-2015. Is it just me or is there generally far less news these days?

Patrick Bateman

#57 Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed 23 Jan 2019, 11:05 am

daveid wrote:
Wed 23 Jan 2019, 10:22 am

Yes it's all very boring at the moment but not as bad as the truly awful drought of 2014-2015. Is it just me or is there generally far less news these days?
Neil is too busy protesting outside the Houses of Parliament.

Bulldog

#58 Post by Bulldog » Wed 23 Jan 2019, 1:37 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Wed 23 Jan 2019, 11:05 am
daveid wrote:
Wed 23 Jan 2019, 10:22 am

Neil is too busy protesting outside the Houses of Parliament.
I'm in no particular hurry. Perhaps this time they don't want to rush the recording through, or possibly will record the bulk of the album in spring and mix it in summer. I'm sure we'll get an update when they hit the studio. If they're heading for a pop album it may as well be slightly more complex to write and produce than an all-electronics-and-no-strings Super kind of thing.
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

Drico One

#59 Post by Drico One » Wed 23 Jan 2019, 3:54 pm

This is an interesting discussion. I am all for digital ownership. However, there is a tactility issue with that for many people. You can’t touch the “file” or pore over its artwork, read its sleevenotes, or generally wallow in the artefact itself in the way you would a vinyl record, CD, or DVD. As much as I find digital technology marvelous, we should admit as much. And, let’s be honest here, when you introduce hard drives and cloud storage and other concepts to people of a certain age, you are slowly watching a sizeable chunk of the public glaze over and lose the will to live.

I maintain for all the technological convenience of digital products, we are losing something in our rush to bin physical media. Sure, the “market” will decide, but that doesn’t mean it is always right as its selection of VHS over Betamax proved. And that last sentence shows just why I am the dinosaur I clearly am. 😊

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

lucienchardon

#60 Post by lucienchardon » Wed 23 Jan 2019, 6:07 pm

Drico One wrote:
Wed 23 Jan 2019, 3:54 pm
This is an interesting discussion. I am all for digital ownership. However, there is a tactility issue with that for many people. You can’t touch the “file” or pore over its artwork, read its sleevenotes, or generally wallow in the artefact itself in the way you would a vinyl record, CD, or DVD. As much as I find digital technology marvelous, we should admit as much. And, let’s be honest here, when you introduce hard drives and cloud storage and other concepts to people of a certain age, you are slowly watching a sizeable chunk of the public glaze over and lose the will to live.

I maintain for all the technological convenience of digital products, we are losing something in our rush to bin physical media. Sure, the “market” will decide, but that doesn’t mean it is always right as its selection of VHS over Betamax proved. And that last sentence shows just why I am the dinosaur I clearly am. 😊

Drico.
Tactility sounds like a great album title!