2019 Pet Shop Boys News: "Inner Sanctum DVD, touring, new album"

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Boring90

Re: 2019 Pet Shop Boys News: "Inner Sanctum DVD, touring, new album"

#31 Post by Boring90 »

alig wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019, 1:27 pm
oakey wrote: Mon 24 Dec 2018, 12:06 pm Everything is now being recorded in HD if not 4K. But in this era of declining physical sales they may stick to DVD as that is the only video format that has gained wide popularity, plus a digital format like iTunes that will be in HD. Bluray never got mainstream, and 4K UHD is even more of a niche. We can only hope for a multiple-format release, but it will probably be just a DVD, just like the recent Coldplay, Depeche Mode, Simply Red and Bowie releases.
Hopefully, a bluray will be released.
Agreed.
Las Vegas 1999

Den

#32 Post by Den »

Boring90 wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019, 5:36 pm
alig wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019, 1:27 pm
oakey wrote: Mon 24 Dec 2018, 12:06 pm Everything is now being recorded in HD if not 4K. But in this era of declining physical sales they may stick to DVD as that is the only video format that has gained wide popularity, plus a digital format like iTunes that will be in HD. Bluray never got mainstream, and 4K UHD is even more of a niche. We can only hope for a multiple-format release, but it will probably be just a DVD, just like the recent Coldplay, Depeche Mode, Simply Red and Bowie releases.
Hopefully, a bluray will be released.
Agreed.

We all need to contact the management about getting a Blu-Ray, DVDs look so bad on 1080, and 4K TVs.

alig

#33 Post by alig »

I'm not buying a dvd. Inferior picture and inferior sound
"John 3:16."

Harry

#34 Post by Harry »

What we’re missing is that they’ll have researched what they can afford/are prepared to produce and release based on expected sales.

I thought we’d had our last concert film, as Neil had said YouTube had killed the market, so I’m thrilled we’re getting a proper one (rubbish YouTube videos are no substitute for a properly directed concert film, whatever anyone says).

As management will have looked into the viability of this release and made informed decisions, I think a load of emails from fans saying ‘DVDs are inferior’ and ‘you need to release it on UHD 4K in 2019’ are more likely to get the release pulled than expanded.

Please everybody, don’t contact management to tell them you wouldn’t buy a DVD before they’ve announced anything!
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

Future Lover

#35 Post by Future Lover »

Cosigned, Harry ^^
"DVD" is a colloquial term for any video release these days. Please wait for an announcement of no DVD, then bitch about it. I'm sure someone from their team is always reading this forum, so no need to send hysterical emails.

Flaffer

#36 Post by Flaffer »

I don't for a moment imagine this release is now going to be cancelled at this stage. The vast majority of the cost related to this release would be the hiring of the director and camera crew, and possibly payment to ROH. Pressing of DVDs would be insignificant in comparison. A release of on blu ray was specifically mentioned so if it has been shelved then they've only got themselves to blame if some people get a bit marked. Something like an A-ha concert would be fine on DVD, a show like Inner Sanctum with the bright lasers and film would benefit from the BR format
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

canveyboy

#37 Post by canveyboy »

Well I have no problem personally if it only comes out on DVD. The Pandemonium and Cubism DVD’s were both excellent quality IMO even though they weren’t in HD. But I will concede however that there is absolutely no reason why at the very least that it can’t be made available on iTunes as an HD M4V file - literally everybody releases their new HD concert films on iTunes today, especially as a LOT of people including myself have moved to a fully digital film & TV library. Providing it to iTunes as an HD file must cost almost nothing. And if they didn’t want to use iTunes specifically then again they could easily make it available on their website as an HD MP4 file. I’d be prepared to pay £20 for that to have it in HD.
Its taken me all of my life to find you

oakey

#38 Post by oakey »

An email from Paul from Superdeluxeedition.com about exactly this issue and a discussion on SDE’s twitter https://twitter.com/MusicPhotoKeith/sta ... 40096?s=20
Last edited by oakey on Mon 21 Jan 2019, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Disco.

#39 Post by Disco. »

canveyboy wrote: Mon 21 Jan 2019, 12:45 pm Well I have no problem personally if it only comes out on DVD. The Pandemonium and Cubism DVD’s were both excellent quality IMO even though they weren’t in HD. But I will concede however that there is absolutely no reason why at the very least that it can’t be made available on iTunes as an HD M4V file - literally everybody releases their new HD concert films on iTunes today, especially as a LOT of people including myself have moved to a fully digital film & TV library. Providing it to iTunes as an HD file must cost almost nothing. And if they didn’t want to use iTunes specifically then again they could easily make it available on their website as an HD MP4 file. I’d be prepared to pay £20 for that to have it in HD.
Completely agree, I would prefer an HD file on iTunes to a dvd disc.

Harry

#40 Post by Harry »

I really hope they announce the DVD and/or Blu-ray soon, everywhere I look I see ‘no-one buys physical’ anymore and I really want a physical copy! I’m hoping they don’t go download-only.

My ideal would be a Blu-ray with a CD. But I guess I’m old-fashioned!
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

oakey

#41 Post by oakey »

Sorry, but no way I will be paying £20 for a file...
Then I would prefer a Netflix release or the SD DVD.

Harry

#42 Post by Harry »

The ideal for everyone would be a Blu-ray release with a digital copy included, like some movies.

I think even in 2019 most people are only able to watch download-only films on phones and tablets. I want to watch PSB stuff on my main TV in great quality, not ‘on the go’. I also like to have the lovely packaging.

I still feel like digital-only releases are transient, only owned for as long as you’ve got that account, that device, or until Apple pull it, or whatever.
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

Drico One

#43 Post by Drico One »

As much as I am a fan of streaming, the supposed 24-7 availability of material was never what is was all about for me. Collectibility and curating is where it's at for plenty of us. When a content provider decides that it is no longer making available the content you subscribed to, then it's tough luck if you haven't added it to your physical collection.

I've got a rather large collection of soccer DVDs and Blu-rays - just the discs, mind. I act as my own curator. I am sure most, if not all, of this collection can be found online on YouTube or wherever in varying degrees of inferior quality, but that's not really going to help me derive pleasure from the material. I enjoy collecting it, curating it, burning it, storing it, cataloguing it, labelling it, archiving it, watching it, and knowing that it exists for as long as I tend to it and keep it safe. I may never watch it all again - but it's very nice to know that I can. It's a bit like a local library. I may not be a member, but it's nice to know I can join if I want to - and I would be alarmed if the government shut it down.

While all of this might seem like hard work to some, it's also what gives meaning to many collectors. It's a hobby. Digital streaming is fantastic, but it'll never be a substitute for physical collectibility for many of us. I still buy Pet Shop Boys CDs even though 99% of my listening is on my phone. Why? For all the reasons mentioned above.

I'll say this for streaming: it has certainly put a premium on physical formats. You really do 'need' to have a disc if you are going to go to the bother of collecting it. I just don't think access to streaming will ever replace that human need to hoard and compile - whether that 'need' is rational or not. It's why we wrote down our knowledge instead of simply talking to each other all those centuries ago. We need a record. It helps to capture and make sense of our experiences.

This show really should come out in high definition. People say it might cost too much. I say there was a time when Pet Shop Boys made artistic statements - regardless of the cost - simply for the sake of making an artistic statement. After all, did they really need to tour Performance? It lost money - but it is their most abiding artistic statement not put down on record. This show really would benefit from HD. Good quality DVD is highly watchable - it really is if authored properly - but HD is a standard now, not a luxury.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Flaffer

#44 Post by Flaffer »

Perfectly summed up above. It's a release predominantly for a limited, physical collecting biased fanbase. In the same way some people seemed surprise it wasn't released in time for xmas, even if it was available in supermarkets it wasn't going to be chucked in the trolley along with the turkey, cranberry sauce, port and Stilton. Mamma Mia 2, Michael Buble, Take Thats latest hits comp and Sing-along-a Disney - yep 'Eighties synthpop gayers at the Royal Opera House' nope. "Oh look love We Will Rock You the musical. We should buys that. Pet Shop Boys!! Christ are them two still going? Bloody hell. Still that ABBA stuff they did was quite good".
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

MikeyC

#45 Post by MikeyC »

Flaffer wrote: Mon 21 Jan 2019, 9:40 pm "...Pet Shop Boys!! Christ are them two still going? Bloody hell. Still that ABBA stuff they did was quite good".
:lol: Love that!!