2019 Pet Shop Boys News: "Inner Sanctum DVD, touring, new album"

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
psbfannyc

2019 Pet Shop Boys News: "Inner Sanctum DVD, touring, new album"

#1 Post by psbfannyc »

http://petshopboys.co.uk/news/2018-12-2 ... -christmas

"We would like to wish all fans, friends and visitors to this site a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
2018 was another busy year for Pet Shop Boys with highlights including another four-night season at the Royal Opera House, headlining several music festivals in Europe, the USA premiere of the ballet “The Most Incredible Thing”, completing the Catalogue series of reissues of Parlophone albums, and appearing in the Dior Homme Summer 2018 campaign. In addition, Neil published his book, “One Hundred Lyrics and a Poem”, and Chris and Neil wrote over 20 new songs and started work with Stuart Price on their next album.

We look forward in 2019 to the release on DVD of the concert film of the “Inner Sanctum” shows filmed at the Royal Opera House, a short tour of South-East Asia and later on the release of a new album."

Parkol

Re: 2019 Pet Shop Boys News: "Inner Sanctum DVD, touring, new album"

#2 Post by Parkol »

DVD? Ok, so maybe they will release it on VHS... less resolution - less questions

rashomon

#3 Post by rashomon »

2019 ... it's gonna be a great year!

Merry Christmas all !
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

leesmapman

#4 Post by leesmapman »

Parkol wrote: Fri 21 Dec 2018, 5:34 pm DVD? Ok, so maybe they will release it on VHS... less resolution - less questions
The hipsters will love it. They buy cassettes (and vinyl) too.

james23_uk

#5 Post by james23_uk »

It's gonna be another C year. Probably even worse than this year. which was even worse than the year before.
at rock bottom :wall:

james23_uk

#6 Post by james23_uk »

FC
at rock bottom :wall:

JSDOUVRES

#7 Post by JSDOUVRES »

2018 was a busy year? Seriously? And here's hoping for the Inner Sanctum Tour on Blu-ray as well as DVD, at least we have a new album to look forward to next year which is exciting!

greenmile

#8 Post by greenmile »

The recent Coldplay documentary and live film were also only released on DVD for some reason. Is blu-ray mastering and duplication really that more expensive than dvd? The Depeche Mode Live In Berlin is another recent example of a DVD only release.

Parkol

#9 Post by Parkol »

leesmapman wrote: Fri 21 Dec 2018, 8:09 pm
Parkol wrote: Fri 21 Dec 2018, 5:34 pm DVD? Ok, so maybe they will release it on VHS... less resolution - less questions
The hipsters will love it. They buy cassettes (and vinyl) too.
Well, then they can release it on Itunes in 2K or 4K. It's 2018, not 1994. Vinyl is OK, because it sounds so cool.

Greendrake

#10 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drico One

#11 Post by Drico One »

The optical disc market is mature - I'd be pleasantly surprised if we get the show on bluray. Bluray gets squeezed on all sides. DVD quality is more than acceptable for most people, and streaming is more convenient and disposable, so bluray has always been a luxury niche than the mass market choice it needed to be. There's actually been a trend in some genres of not bothering with bluray releases anymore and restricting the optical disc release to DVD-only. The jump in quality between VHS and DVD was, whether we like it or not, more dramatic than the comparative one from DVD to bluray.

It's quite possible that the only bluray version of Inner Sanctum will be what those of us in Germany record on New Year's Eve.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Old Soak

#12 Post by Old Soak »

Wouldn't thank you for BluRay - makes my eyes sore watching anything that hyper-realistic after just 10 minutes, same reason the last computer game I played was PacMan... Stick 4k resolution where the sun don't shine IMO.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Scottydog

#13 Post by Scottydog »

I can’t remember who it was but there was a singer on BBC Radio 2 recently who was talking about their own DVD release. They said that because of how their show was filmed it was only suitable for DVD and not Blu-ray. I wasn’t aware of that. Maybe it could be converted in the same way as older films have been but I suppose there would be more cost.
If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

TwizzleUK

#14 Post by TwizzleUK »

Scottydog wrote: Sun 23 Dec 2018, 9:37 am I can’t remember who it was but there was a singer on BBC Radio 2 recently who was talking about their own DVD release. They said that because of how their show was filmed it was only suitable for DVD and not Blu-ray. I wasn’t aware of that. Maybe it could be converted in the same way as older films have been but I suppose there would be more cost.
In that example it could mean only a standard definition camera was used for filming, so no point putting it on Blu-ray unless a high definition camera was used. When they convert old films they go back to the original 35mm analogue film stock and digitally rescan it at higher resolutions - something you can't do with old digital footage if it was recorded at a resolution less than the one it's being converted to, as there's no extra quality to glean out of it - the extra pixels simply don't exist. Now we're up to 8k resolution, even 35mm film stock isn't entirely suitable for going back to - the first couple of movies being broadcast in 8k so far are '2001: A Space Odyssey' and 'My Fair Lady', both of which were filmed using 65mm stock.

Having said that, I'd be very surprised if 'Inner Sanctum' wasn't filmed in HD. Maybe it's just cheaper manufacturing DVDs. Some Blu-ray players 'upscale' DVDs to enhance their quality somehow - don't know that I've ever noticed they difference though, as it's just algorithms adding extra pixels to fill out the bigger frames.

At least if it's only DVD it'll be much easier ripping the audio from it to play on my iPod gaplessy (as Ive done with all other live DVDs). Have yet to work out a way of ripping audio from Blu-ray - any suggestions?
Last edited by TwizzleUK on Sun 23 Dec 2018, 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marie loves PSB

#15 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Glad the DVD is still happening. I am looking forward to a new album too.