Dricography: Ranking Nightlife

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Patrick Bateman

Re: Dricography: Ranking Nightlife

#16 Post by Patrick Bateman » Fri 26 Oct 2018, 8:10 am

Regarding legendary internet Petheads, I noticed that Satanas was in that Quietus stream the other day, metaphorically chucking bottles at Neil, the web host and Uncle Tom Cobley.

stussyboy

#17 Post by stussyboy » Sat 27 Oct 2018, 12:54 pm

TallThinMan wrote:
Wed 24 Oct 2018, 5:49 pm
Tom Angel wrote:
Wed 24 Oct 2018, 2:07 pm
A classic case of poor song selection

Including For all of us and The ghost of myself alone would have improved it - and dropped the droopy Footsteps and serious piss-poor anodyne shadow of a tune The Only One. It's the only abysmal song in their catalogue. It kind of mopes along like it's heavily aware that it has no presence.
Poppycock. The Only One is much better than I Made My Excuses and Left.
Excuses is in my Top 10 all time PSB tracks!
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

PopArt

#18 Post by PopArt » Sun 28 Oct 2018, 6:41 pm

I realise I might be in a minority of one here but I like The only one and Footsteps. I think they fit in well with the sound and mood of Nightlife. They're full of paranoia, insecurity and longing. That's essentially what is at the heart of Nightlife. It's Happiness is an option and Boy Strange that let Nightlife down, in my opinion. Replace those tracks with The ghost of myself and For all of us and the album would have hung together a lot better.

But Nightlife is certainly a mixed bag. I think it would have benefited from one producer throughout and I do think that work on the musical was distracting them. It wasn't sure if it was a dance album, an album of lush string-laden ballads, show tunes or pop. And I have always felt that Neil's lyrics were not as sharp during this period.
I'm always waiting...

TallThinMan

#19 Post by TallThinMan » Sun 28 Oct 2018, 9:37 pm

PopArt wrote:
Sun 28 Oct 2018, 6:41 pm
I realise I might be in a minority of one here but I like The only one and Footsteps. I think they fit in well with the sound and mood of Nightlife. They're full of paranoia, insecurity and longing. That's essentially what is at the heart of Nightlife. It's Happiness is an option and Boy Strange that let Nightlife down, in my opinion.
I must be in a minority of a half then, because I like all four of those tracks!

Drico One

#20 Post by Drico One » Sun 28 Oct 2018, 9:42 pm

6. Radiophonic

There's an explosive energy here, an excitement that surges periodically at fleeting moments of dance floor eye contact and profound self-realisation. The demo is a revelation, and I've always loved the alliteration of "dud sub-sonic beat box booming bass under the bed". Intoxicating.

5. Somebody Else's Business

Somewhat throwaway, this is a very catchy and underrated track which first saw the light of day in 2003. Yet, it's better than most entries on Nightlife. This eventually arrived on Disco 3 and was, arguably, the first indication of their pop renaissance after the guitar-driven Release era.

4. For your own good

Hugely atmospheric, this is another worthy entry into their top album openers list. Sure, it's all Rollo, but the insistent desperation makes it starkly compelling. If I was to fault it, I would say that in comparison to some of Faithless's monologues, Neil's protagonist sounds passive, weak, and pitiable. "I can't get no sleep" sounds that little bit more hip than "I can help you recover from pain that you hide". A small, relatively trivial point, perhaps, but the sense of victimhood here is slightly sappy.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

MikeyC

#21 Post by MikeyC » Mon 29 Oct 2018, 12:36 am

"For your own good" was an amazing and riveting opener to the Nightlife Tour, especially with the images of their bewigged heads spinning on the curtain before it drops!

Pod

#22 Post by Pod » Mon 29 Oct 2018, 1:47 am

MikeyC wrote:
Mon 29 Oct 2018, 12:36 am
"For your own good" was an amazing and riveting opener to the Nightlife Tour, especially with the images of their bewigged heads spinning on the curtain before it drops!
I remember being absolutely spellbound by that. I was at the front so the heads looked huge!
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

redsock

#23 Post by redsock » Mon 29 Oct 2018, 9:37 pm

Pod wrote:
Mon 29 Oct 2018, 1:47 am
MikeyC wrote:
I remember being absolutely spellbound by that. I was at the front so the heads looked huge!
Same here. I was at the front barrier at the front in Manchester and Cardiff and was literally blown away by the bass of the opening notes. My entire chest and lungs reverberated! :lol:

MikeyC

#24 Post by MikeyC » Tue 30 Oct 2018, 12:25 am

redsock wrote:
Mon 29 Oct 2018, 9:37 pm
Pod wrote:
Mon 29 Oct 2018, 1:47 am
MikeyC wrote:
Same here. I was at the front barrier at the front in Manchester and Cardiff and was literally blown away by the bass of the opening notes. My entire chest and lungs reverberated! :lol:

I was at both NYC shows and it seemed that the bass was WAY over-the-top during "Shameless" -- I actually felt it was dangerous for a moment! But right after Shameless, it went back to normal!

ArtHist

#25 Post by ArtHist » Wed 31 Oct 2018, 9:09 pm

New York $h1tty Boy- their worst song....or so I thought, until 'The Night I Fell in Love' from their next album. Lean years indeed.

alig

#26 Post by alig » Wed 31 Oct 2018, 10:57 pm

Drunk is in my top 5.
"John 3:16."

Shopper

#27 Post by Shopper » Fri 02 Nov 2018, 10:00 am

not releasing FYOG as the opening single was criminal..
I was born in a hospital room with green walls, the doctor who delivered me wore a green overall, so did the nurses hovering around. So much greenery around, its no wonder that it is my favourite colour !

My Blog
On Facebook

Drico One

#28 Post by Drico One » Sat 03 Nov 2018, 12:55 pm

3. For all of us

One of the few really worthwhile songs from the musical, this reflective, bleak soliloquy is eerie and full of despair. The best songs from the musical were oblique enough to apply outside the confines of the stage, and this one shows up most of the others written at the time for what they were: fatuous, trashy wastes of time.

2. I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more

When I first heard this, I was mildly underwhelmed - it lacks a chorus worthy of the name. After a few more listens, I was captivated. I think this elegant kitchen sink drama is really gorgeous, and a classic example of how they glamorise the mundane. Once again, Neil is on the wrong end of a dysfunctional relationship, but at least this time he's coming to terms with it and beginning the process of moving on. It's one of the more subtle moments on Nightlife, and is beautifully produced with its crystalline flourishes and quietly thrilling propulsion. The Top of the Pops performance was epic and otherworldly, showcasing just how completely out on their own they were at the time.

1. You only tell me you love me when you're drunk

Another bittersweet vignette, this magnificent track is full of melancholic hope and wit, and features some lovely lyrical alliteration ("suddenly subtle and solemn and silent..."). The video was, arguably, their last classic promo. If a recurring them of Nightlife is victimhood, the protagonist here suffers in an almost comically sad way, but the strength of the song is such that you can only feel sympathy. There is, it seems, some love here - but it's only expressed under the influence of alcohol, leaving one to wonder if, as is often claimed, intoxication speaks the truth. If so, the antagonist is deeply dysfunctional but, arguably, not beyond redemption and maybe, just maybe, worth some more painful perseverance. It's that glimmer of hope that saves this song from slapstick tragicomedy and the protagonist from farce.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

deekay

#29 Post by deekay » Sat 03 Nov 2018, 10:56 pm

y3potential wrote:
Wed 24 Oct 2018, 1:29 am
deekay wrote:
Tue 23 Oct 2018, 11:05 pm
The best song on the album was the one with Kylie and I can’t even remember the name of it. Haven’t listened to it in maybe 10 - 15 years. One of their poorer offerings.

In Denial. A decent tune that would have been improved if it had a stronger female vocalist. Kylie Minogue is no Dusty Springfield..!
Neil is no Freddie Mercury either but the song deserves to be in the top 10 on the Nightlife album on musicality alone. At least half a dozen tracks are mediocre at best.