The New Album Info Thread

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Drico One

The New Album Info Thread

#1 Post by Drico One » Sun 21 Oct 2018, 3:20 pm

Neil's interesting interview on the Guardian Web site today contained some references to the new album. I was surprised at how willing he was to drop in tidbits about that as I was under the impression that we were still very much between albums, but it seems clear that this has now progressed. I suppose we can now assume that the starting gun has sounded on the third album of the Stuart Price trilogy. Therefore, I think it makes sense to have a thread devoted to concrete, confirmed news about the new album. So, let's use this thread to post direct quotes, if possible, from Neil, Chris, Stuart Price, and the official site as we draw closer to release.

“I had a very strong group of friends as an adolescent, many of whom I still know – we’ve got a new song which looks back at that,” Tennant says. “It was a very intense part of my life and it sort of ended with the Aids crisis, with so many friends who died, so I will probably never get over that. I don’t mean in a traumatised way, just that it’s always there in my history. It’s part of who I am.” - Neil Tennant, October 21, 2018, The Observer

What about just writing a straightforward love song? Tennant is surprised when I suggest that they have become more infrequent on Pet Shop Boys albums. “Maybe there’s been less to write about, I’m afraid.” He pauses, slightly embarrassed. “Not totally. Actually on das neu album is a major love song.” - Neil Tennant, October 21, 2018, The Observer

Their forthcoming album will be their 15th, not counting live and compilation albums, and will include a song inspired by the refugee crisis, and another about Berlin, the city where they go to write and – occasionally on a Sunday afternoon – to dance at Berghain, the legendary techno club. - Alex Needham, interviewing Neil Tennant, October 21, 2018, The Observer

“We have written a song called Give Stupidity a Chance which is a satire. It’s close to a protest song, but it’s also funny.” - Neil Tennant, October 21, 2018, The Observer

Drico.

PS The third entry here is from the journalist, so I suppose we need to take that with a pinch of salt. The first comment could, potentially, refer to Reunion, which was recently released on Further Listening, but would Neil be calling that "new"? I'm assuming not.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

tottenhammattspurs

Re: The New Album Info Thread

#2 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Sun 21 Oct 2018, 4:14 pm

14th. Their forthcoming album will be their 14th. Not 15th Mr Observer Journalist.
is is and isnt isnt

ZiggyPSB

#3 Post by ZiggyPSB » Sun 21 Oct 2018, 4:40 pm

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Sun 21 Oct 2018, 4:14 pm
14th. Their forthcoming album will be their 14th. Not 15th Mr Observer Journalist.
Maybe Mr Observer Journalist considers Relentless a studio album in its own right.
This is a song about boys and girls. You hear it playing all over the world.
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Disco.

#4 Post by Disco. » Sun 21 Oct 2018, 5:20 pm

As some people do.

Flaffer

#5 Post by Flaffer » Sun 21 Oct 2018, 5:56 pm

It is an album in its own right. Never understood why it’s regarded as anything else, let alone when it’s referred to as a remix album
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

glennjridge

#6 Post by glennjridge » Mon 22 Oct 2018, 5:16 am

I think the older they get they have come to love the excitement of touring so much so that they crank out albums now just to have a reason to go back out. I am so excited at the thought of a new one possibly fairly soon. I suspect it will be out realistically early 2019 just in time for a summer tour.

kinda sad about the infrequency of love songs notion when he says "maybe theres less to write about". come on neil,join match.com. in any case I hope we can get this new one without the usually fan commentary about possibly it being their last.
these guys will be making music till they drop. I think they need the outlet. the tune he was referencing about old friends sounds like he is describing "Reunion" but I guess it will be something else obviously. a tune about berlin,nice! actually I would love to get that 'wedding in berlin" song. love that title! hopefully a B-side.

jules

#7 Post by jules » Mon 22 Oct 2018, 7:18 pm

What does a "major" song mean ?
julien676.skyblog.com

psb-freak

#8 Post by psb-freak » Mon 22 Oct 2018, 8:32 pm

I'm happy that they don't do many ballads nowadays. I prefer the more uptempo ones. :D
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.