Complete Singles Collection Vol. 1

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Future Lover

Complete Singles Collection Vol. 1

#1 Post by Future Lover » Wed 17 Oct 2018, 9:28 am

I would love us to go through this together. The Boys have mentioned in a recent Q&A that they'd love to collect all of their remixes etc. in a singles box set. Now, we all know it's a massive undertaking, and I think most fans would agree with me that it would be best done in phases, best to do per album. CD and Digital, hopefully, with perhaps a limited box or two for the vinyl freaks i.e. the original tracklists or something, one 7'' box, one 12'' box. I know they say they wouldn't read this forum anymore, but I still believe they care, and having this discussion before anything happens would be fruitful. Worst case, a helpful email to their management will point them in this direction.

So, my take on how I'd love to see it pan out, at least for the first set: a clamshell box set similar to Format in every way would be great. I wouldn't try and reproduce each single on separate CDs since that would create clutter. I would go for a clean reduction to the least possible amount of discs and utilize the space for some bonus stuff like instrumentals etc. The artwork would look great as separate art cards for each single. Going through my own collection, I believe the first set would have 5CDs. Of course, all of these singles could be released separately on digital platforms. For their early days, I would completely ignore the ruthless milking of the first two singles by Bobby O, and consider only what they've collaborated on.

CD1 - West End Girls / One More Chance [Original Versions]
  • West End girls [Extended Mix]
    West End girls [Extended Mix Edit]
    West End girls [UK 7'' Mix]
    West End girls [Nouvelle Version]
    West End girls [Bobby O Single Mix / Nouvelle Version Edit]
    Pet Shop Boys
    Pet Shop Boys [Long Edit]
    Pet Shop Boys [Short Edit]
  • One more chance [Bobby O Mix]
    One more chance [Kordak Mix]
CD2 - Opportunities (original release)
  • Opportunities [Original 7'' Version]
    Opportunities [Version Latina Edit]
    Opportunities [Matrix Remix]
    Opportunities [Original Dance Mix]
    Opportunities [Version Latina]
    Opportunities (Dub for Money)
    In the night
    In the night [Arthur Baker Extended Remix]
    In the night [Arthur Baker Remix]
    In the night [Arthur Baker 7'' Edit]
CD3 - West End girls
  • West End girls [7'' Mix]
    West End girls [10'' Mix]
    West End girls [Dance Mix]
    West End girls [Shep Pettibone's Disco Mix]
    West End girls [Shep Pettibone's Mastermix]
    West End Dub
    A man could get arrested [7'' Mix]
    A man could get arrested [Alternative Mix]
CD4 - Love comes quickly / Opportunities (Second release)
  • Love comes quickly [7'' / Album Version]
    Love comes quickly [Dance Mix]
    Love comes quickly [Shep Pettibone Mastermix]
    Love comes quickly [Shep Pettibone Mastermix - Edit #1]
    Love comes quickly [Shep Pettibone Mastermix - Edit #2]
    Love comes quickly [Dub]
    That's my impression [7'' Mix]
    That's my impression [Disco Mix]
  • Opportunities [7'' Mix (from Discography)]
    Opportunities [Reprise]
    Opportunities [Shep Pettibone Mastermix]
    Was that what it was?
CD5 - Suburbia / Paninaro
  • Suburbia [New Version]
    Suburbia Pt. 2
    Suburbia (The Full Horror)
    Suburbia [Club Vocal Mix]
    Suburbia [Dub Version]
    Jack the lad
  • Paninaro
    Paninaro [Italian Mix]
    Paninaro [Ian Levine Mix]

Just look at that and tell me it wouldn't be completely amazing. Pure wish fulfillment, especially if they include some more things, such as instrumentals. These discs are all 45-60+ minutes in length, so there's always room for that. Looking forward to your reactions and suggestions, especially if I forgot something.
Last edited by Future Lover on Wed 17 Oct 2018, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveid

Re: Complete Singles Collection Vol. 1

#2 Post by daveid » Wed 17 Oct 2018, 12:34 pm

The Bobby O stuff is never going to be part of any collection (sadly)

Future Lover

#3 Post by Future Lover » Wed 17 Oct 2018, 12:38 pm

Do you think his copyright is interfering with it, or is it something else? I know they might be "ashamed of it" now, but it is still a part of their history, the kernel where it all started. I think they also still appreciate Bobby O for his help in getting them in the spotlight, they still mention him as an influence. There's also this great copyright law about the rights for the work are being returned to the artist after 35 years. That's gonna happen next year, and if they've submitted the paperwork, they will become the owners of those masters.

tottenhammattspurs

#4 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Wed 17 Oct 2018, 2:11 pm

The thing is, something will get missed and we will all loose our sh1t over it.

For example, you’ve missed out the NOW 7 version of Opportunities that’s completely unique to that compilation.
is is and isnt isnt

Future Lover

#5 Post by Future Lover » Wed 17 Oct 2018, 3:03 pm

That's the Matrix Remix actually!

Patrick Bateman

#6 Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed 17 Oct 2018, 3:25 pm

While I'd love a definitive box set, I am fatigued with PSB re-releases - we have just had a re-release of a re-release!

daveid

#7 Post by daveid » Wed 17 Oct 2018, 8:15 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Wed 17 Oct 2018, 3:25 pm
While I'd love a definitive box set, I am fatigued with PSB re-releases - we have just had a re-release of a re-release!
Yes, with "previously unreleased" tracks that have been universally available for 17 years! That's an outright load of b*llocks.

York Minster

#8 Post by York Minster » Wed 17 Oct 2018, 9:09 pm

While I would almost certainly buy an early singles box set, I am also fatigued with re-releases. New music please. Can we get a new single to munch on at least?
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

MikeyC

#9 Post by MikeyC » Wed 17 Oct 2018, 11:52 pm

Future Lover wrote:
Wed 17 Oct 2018, 12:38 pm
Do you think his copyright is interfering with it, or is it something else? I know they might be "ashamed of it" now, but it is still a part of their history, the kernel where it all started. I think they also still appreciate Bobby O for his help in getting them in the spotlight, they still mention him as an influence. There's also this great copyright law about the rights for the work are being returned to the artist after 35 years. That's gonna happen next year, and if they've submitted the paperwork, they will become the owners of those masters.

I don't think they're "ashamed" of that material at all, but there was a lawsuit and Bobby O still gets money from those early releases and albums so there's probably a lot of complicated business and deals involved.

Patrick Bateman

#10 Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu 18 Oct 2018, 12:36 am

2035 will see the re-release of the re-release of Release.....

Future Lover

#11 Post by Future Lover » Thu 18 Oct 2018, 10:17 am

I don't think re-releases are that bad, especially in the way they've been doing it. Some other acts *khmMadonnakhmmm* treat their back catalogue with disdain. I would love a box set similar to the one above in 2019. Along with the new album, of course!
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Wed 17 Oct 2018, 3:25 pm
Although this is indeed funny, I appreciate they re-released the first six, since I was too young to get them originally, and didn't want to pay double or triple their worth for used copies with worn slipcases. Sometimes it helps seeing it through someone else's perspective.

Patrick Bateman

#12 Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu 18 Oct 2018, 10:55 am

Yeah, I suppose I'm just impatient for something new. Still, at least Neil's book will be out soon and it'll be interesting to read what he says about them and see which godawful tracks get in there on account of having a pretentious lyric.

One of the crowd

#13 Post by One of the crowd » Thu 18 Oct 2018, 11:49 am

MikeyC wrote:
Wed 17 Oct 2018, 11:52 pm
Future Lover wrote:
Wed 17 Oct 2018, 12:38 pm

I don't think they're "ashamed" of that material at all, but there was a lawsuit and Bobby O still gets money from those early releases and albums so there's probably a lot of complicated business and deals involved.
The Bobby O version of West end girls appeared on the A Life in pop DVD. If they were ashamed, I doubt they would have put it on the DVD.
One of the crowd has left the building

daveid

#14 Post by daveid » Thu 18 Oct 2018, 12:32 pm

Plus they've performed live versions of West End girls with Bobby O elements to it.

Danimal

#15 Post by Danimal » Thu 18 Oct 2018, 4:24 pm

Now that I'm older and may afford good stereo gear in my home, car, etc. I may see what audiophiles are saying about modern mastering destroying the dynamics and listenability of music. While the new PSB masters have good high end and midrange, the bass is so overdriven on many of the tracks they're hard to listen to for any length of time.
I've been listening to some of the 80s issues recently and one can really crank them up, everything is there sonically, and one may listen for hours without getting fatigued.
If they do go ahead with singles compilations I hope they master them very, very gently.