Dricography: Ranking Introspective

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Philby2

Re: Dricography: Ranking Introspective

#46 Post by Philby2 » Thu 08 Nov 2018, 10:31 pm

[/quote]

Thanks for sharing that! I'm curious how you dealt with/thought of the "are they gay?" question moving forward, especially once Very was released. Did it affect your thinking about gay people in general at the time? Did you think there might be consequences for liking them even if they were gay? Your experience has me thinking and it's good to think about these things. It was such a different era as well in terms of the issue. Thanks for your thoughts!
[/quote]

Whilst "the gay thing" was, from this point forward, a new consciousness for me it never felt like something i had to deal with, personally. However, I do remember wondering and slightly worrying if lots of people had the same thoughts as my brother. As a huge fan of PSB and a chart obsessed 10 year old, I wanted them to remain successful and this was a concern.

The year after Very was released (its success going some way to dispel down the dumper doubts) and about the same time as Neil came out in Attitude magazine, i switched schools in order to take my preferred A-Level subjects. As you note, with reference to said album, any "are they, aren't they?" queeries (sorry) were by then off the table, but this did not stop me from displaying my appreciation for the boys, as i adorned my lever arch work-file with cut-outs of Neil & Chris (from NME or Melody Maker) in full 'I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing' mop top mode...certainly not one of their more butch stylistic moments.

I didn't care what anyone thought or said, and i wasn't attempting any statement other than that i was a fan of one of the greatest music acts this country has produced. There were a few snide gay-related remarks, but only from people who became friends and nothing that bothered me. Ultimately, it led to me gaining the nickname "Adsynth", which was pretty inoffensive.

Philby2

Re: Dricography: Ranking Introspective

#47 Post by Philby2 » Thu 08 Nov 2018, 10:36 pm

Drico One wrote:
Sat 20 Oct 2018, 11:53 am

Hey Philby2, you wouldn't be poster Kim Philby who used to post here until around 2009, would you? We had a Dead Pool thread then that he took part in before suddenly disappearing in the manner of a Washington Post journalist in a Saudi Arabian consulate.

Drico.
Hi Drico, yes its me. Your memory is almost as impressive as your writing.

I defected for a period but dropped the "Kim" and added a digit to my name so i could come home without fear of arrest.
Thanks for exposing me!