30 YEARS OF INTROSPECTIVE

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
retrofuturist

Re: 30 YEARS OF INTROSPECTIVE

#16 Post by retrofuturist » Mon 29 Oct 2018, 10:45 am

Greetings,
York Minster wrote:
Sun 28 Oct 2018, 10:18 pm
I'm Not Scared is like Fugitive. Top A level PSB, yes. But in edited form, without the intros, they lose much of their power.
Agreed... the electronics on each need some room and space to flourish and encompass the listener, which they simply don't get if edited back to roughly half their initial duration.

Retro. :)

davee

#17 Post by davee » Tue 13 Nov 2018, 11:48 am

Introspective was the first CD I ever bought. I didn't even have a CD player at the time.

I used it as a demo CD selling high-end stack systems & stereos[*] when I was a teenager: it was generally a helpful tool, perfectly matching the demographic of those spending their cash on those shiny new CD players! Paid for itself several times over in commission ;-)

[*] Our UK viewers may remember 'Rumbelows'(!)

Ghost within this house

#18 Post by Ghost within this house » Tue 13 Nov 2018, 11:50 pm

As nobody has responded to the new thread, let me post it here - a brilliant article on Introspective from The Quietus:

http://thequietus.com/articles/25646-pe ... ary-review
Gunpoint has a firm voice

billjermaine

#19 Post by billjermaine » Sat 17 Nov 2018, 2:21 am

The Soft Cell comparison in this review was interesting - that never occurred to me at the time. The format reminded me instead of those old Donna Summer / Giorgio Moroder EPs with the extended disco songs. She also threw in the odd medley like Soft Cell did. Probably a source of inspiration for both.

While a lot of critics were treating and hailing this as a new studio album, it was received at the time by a lot of fans, like myself, as another (but more brilliant) Disco layover until the next proper album, such were our high expectations and the calibre of what they were coming out with at the time.