Final results of poll on the PSB album Very

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
geowayne

Final results of poll on the PSB album Very

#1 Post by geowayne » Sun 07 Oct 2018, 5:19 am

The final results are in for my poll of the past two weeks, in which I asked my site visitors their retrospective assessment of the Pet Shop Boys' 1993 album Very in the wake of the silver anniversary of its release. And the response that received the most votes was:

* "It may not be their absolute greatest album, but I think Very is certainly one of their best," chosen by a whopping 64.4% of the voters.

To see the complete results, please visit my "Commentary" site at http://www.geowayne.com/psbhtml.htm and select one of the "Past Survey Results" options in the top navigation bar or click the appropriate link on my "What's New?" page.

My new poll for the coming two weeks -- actually, for just a little more than two weeks (more about that in a moment) -- is based on a widespread but admittedly debatable premise: that, way back in 1988, the music video for "Domino Dancing" did irreparable harm to the momentum of the Pet Shop Boys' career in the United States, resulting in them never again having a major mainstream hit single there. Site visitor Adrian Williams suggested that I ask which of their subsequent singles over the next ten years or so (up through 2000) do you think would have, under different circumstances, had the greatest chance of having become a major U.S. hit single. So please mull this over and, when you're ready, make your selection right there on my home page.

Personal circumstances will prevent me from switching to a new poll precisely two weeks from now, on October 21. Instead, I won't be able to conclude this poll until the following day, Monday, October 22 -- and, depending on your time zone, that be Tuesday, October 23, for you. So this survey will run until then, after which the one that follows will run just a little less than two weeks. After that, I plan on resuming my "traditional" weekly survey schedule.

In the meantime, thanks to Adrian Williams for suggesting this new poll question. And thanks to everyone who voted in last week's survey! I wish you all a wonderful two weeks ahead!

ZiggyPSB

Re: Final results of poll on the PSB album Very

#2 Post by ZiggyPSB » Sun 07 Oct 2018, 6:39 pm

I've always been confused by this. It seems pretty obvious to me why these two shirtless guys were fighting in the sea, over a girl. If the girl wasn't implied to be the object of their affections, the homoeroticism would be more obvious. I don't believe it. If Domino dancing's video really was the main element of killing off PSB's singles success, I think it was too many people who "conveniently" forgot the girl was there was connected to these boys. They may appear to be bigger sex objects than the girl, but that can swing both ways. I imagine there would be plenty of women would think they are hot as much as the men.
This is a song about boys and girls. You hear it playing all over the world.
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Xakrij

#3 Post by Xakrij » Sun 07 Oct 2018, 7:32 pm

ZiggyPSB wrote:
Sun 07 Oct 2018, 6:39 pm
too many people who "conveniently" forgot
Hello...

We Americans have short attention spans...myself excluded.
...shot in the fatal cause of frock-and-droll

tottenhammattspurs

#4 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Mon 08 Oct 2018, 9:08 am

30 years later and I still haven’t “convieniently” forgotten Donna Bottman! ❣️❣️❣️
is is and isnt isnt

retrofuturist

#5 Post by retrofuturist » Mon 08 Oct 2018, 11:44 pm

Greetings,

Yes, I'm incredibly skeptical of Wayne's theory.

I actually think that the video is quite skilful to the extent that a heterosexual will likely see it as heterosexual (with a +1 to tottenhammattspurs's comment above), and a homosexual will likely see the homo-erotic undertones.

Compare that to the lack of subtlety in the Paninaro '95 video, for example.

I think a far more substantial theory is that the U.S. was never really into late-80's UK synthpop and dance music. Take the complete disdain for the late 80's Stock Aitken and Waterman period as an example. It's just not what the U.S. was into. US was doing MOR, new jack swing and preparing the seeds for contemporary R&B and "real music" like grunge and what they'd call "college radio" (i.e. something belonging on the Dawson's Creek soundtrack).

You couldn't get much further from this than the Pet Shop Boys. The possible exception to that trend is How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously? which is PERHAPS why it was actually released as a stand-alone single in the US, headlined by the album version. (Have we ever heard a better explanation for why that was done?)

Anything that was slightly experimental or innovative in the late 80's or 1990's, which didn't have the instant commercial appeal of their "imperial period" material was bound to suffer such a fate. The United States' near total indifference to 90's eurodance kept the boys off the radar for the remainder of the decade, by which time most people in the U.S. would have been surprised that they were even still going.

Retro.