Dricography: Ranking Very

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Patrick Bateman

Re: Dricography: Ranking Very

#16 Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed 17 Oct 2018, 8:48 pm

The first half of Very is incredibly strong as an album. I love the way the tracks segue in one another.

York Minster

#17 Post by York Minster » Wed 17 Oct 2018, 9:07 pm

I agree the first half of Very is, well, very strong. But I almost never make it straight through the album. By the time I hit One and One Make Five I've had enough mega-pop. I ususally just skip to Young Offender and then off. Nightlife has the same sag at track 8.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

Lush

#18 Post by Lush » Thu 18 Oct 2018, 9:26 am

joe stalin wrote:
Sun 07 Oct 2018, 5:54 pm
I presume the last two are
2) Can you Forgive Her
1) Young Offender

And I wouldn’t argue with that one bit
Can You Forgive Her? will be number one, obviously. Drico is a sensible man 8)
"Unprofessional? Us? Sir. Might I with due respect remind you that Mister Vandemar and myself burned down the City of Troy? We brought the Black Plague to Flanders. We have assassinated a dozen kings, five popes, half a hundred heroes and two accredited gods. Our last commission before this was the torturing to death of an entire monastery in sixteenth century Tuscany. We are utterly professional." - Mr Croup

alig

#19 Post by alig » Thu 18 Oct 2018, 8:50 pm

G_Goalden wrote:
Thu 04 Oct 2018, 10:22 am
Very is my favourite album - like you I was in the middle of a degree and this takes me back to my student flat in Leeds.

I have always thought that the Electronic album is an essential part of the 'Behaviour to Very' timeline. I think that Bernard Sumner and Johnny Marr's influence is all over Very (as was PSB's influence on Republic - interesting both also include a song called 'Young Offender)
G.
Both Very and Republic were produced by Stephen Hague who knows how to make tracks sound stellar with lots of bells and whistles. And New Order's "young offender" has the same snare sound as "this must be the place...".
"John 3:16."

Pod

#20 Post by Pod » Thu 18 Oct 2018, 8:55 pm

alig wrote:
Thu 18 Oct 2018, 8:50 pm
G_Goalden wrote:
Thu 04 Oct 2018, 10:22 am
Very is my favourite album - like you I was in the middle of a degree and this takes me back to my student flat in Leeds.

I have always thought that the Electronic album is an essential part of the 'Behaviour to Very' timeline. I think that Bernard Sumner and Johnny Marr's influence is all over Very (as was PSB's influence on Republic - interesting both also include a song called 'Young Offender)
G.
Both Very and Republic were produced by Stephen Hague who knows how to make tracks sound stellar with lots of bells and whistles. And New Order's "young offender" has the same snare sound as "this must be the place...".
Hadn’t noticed that - will take a listen.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Drico One

#21 Post by Drico One » Thu 18 Oct 2018, 11:05 pm

2. Go West

This works on so many levels. To come back with something as monstrously OTT as this was a mark of genius. To release it shortly after the fall of the Soviet Union was a masterstroke, allowing another interpretation of what was originally a lament to a lost gay utopia. That it was sung - and is still sung - in football stadiums worldwide is arguably their greatest subversive triumph. This was the last time they captured the zeitgeist, and it is, effectively, their coming out moment. But it was done with such élan and aplomb that it was worth the ghettoisation that inevitably resulted.

1. Can you forgive her?

Arguably the greatest lead single since It's a sin, this was a resounding return to the fray where the bombast and bluster of Chris Lowe's bleeptastic backing sets the scene for an often funny tale of public and personal humiliation. You really shouldn't laugh at the psychological trauma that's playing out here, but only Tennant could pen a wry lyric that is simultaneously sympathetic to and mocking of our bewildered protagonist. This is mannered, absurdist stuff, with ironically raised eyebrows all over the shop as Neil's often subtle wordplay contrasts with the sonic storm that Chris whips up. Each stab is a wound inflicted on our protagonist. Each sentence another moment of painful realisation. Playful, dramatic, and slightly unsettling, this is magnificent pop at its most knowing.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

dtraversscott

#22 Post by dtraversscott » Mon 22 Oct 2018, 4:28 am

OTLTA: "the hypnotic rhythm giving way to the rapturous crescendo" YES. Still one of my absolute favorite musical moments of the band.
Also, the coda / hidden track of Ecstacy put an amazing, poignant punctuation on the gloss and fervor of the album.
One in a Million is also a major fave, and much better single choice than most of the others, I'd say. Particularly fond of the It's Up to You demo version.
-----------------------------------------
I'm kind of shy and dry and verging on ugly.