The Guardian on the ''pan-generational duet''. Two PSB examples.

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Sandy Shaw

The Guardian on the ''pan-generational duet''. Two PSB examples.

#1 Post by Sandy Shaw »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... rmats-hits

''The one where the grandee of pop encounters the bright young thing. It’s still a phenomenon on albums, especially in the US, where grizzled, wizened veterans still deploy the services of younger artists to appear alongside them as courtiers at the throne of the old monarch. But the better version is when the younger partner is in control, steering the direction of the collaboration. Think of Pet Shop Boys first bringing Dusty Springfield back into the public consciousness in 1987 with What Have I Done to Deserve This?, following it with Nothing Has Been Proved, from the film Scandal. Then they produced Liza Minnelli’s Results album two years later, which included the sparkling single Losing My Mind: Sondheim transformed into high dancefloor drama. What is crucial in these sort of collaborations is genuine affection from young to old: it’s no good the older artist being the butt of a joke. Walk Like a Panther by the All Seeing I could have made a joke out of Tony Christie, but instead it highlighted his gravitas.''
What's for supper?