Glastonbury 2000

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Tom Angel

Glastonbury 2000

#1 Post by Tom Angel » Thu 13 Sep 2018, 5:33 pm

I don't know how I missed this - I may even have been there - oops! But I had no idea that THIS was the set list -

oung offender
I don't know what you want but i can't give it anymore
Suburbia
Can you forgive her
Left to my own devices
Se a vida é
Rent
You only tell me you love me when you're drunk
Paninaro
New york city boy
Positive role model
What have i done to deserve this
Always on my mind
It's a sin
West end girls
Go west

I was aware of What have i done to deserve this with Catatonia, but had no idea they played Paninaro!

Does anyone have the video footage of this? Did Chris rap live???? There's so many live performances they need to release on DVD or on cd..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lkQ88RVjAM
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Dog

Re: Glastonbury 2000

#2 Post by Dog » Thu 13 Sep 2018, 6:48 pm

I was there. They were on in the ‘sunset’ slot, before Travis. The crowd was patchy to begin with but filled up. They weren’t actually that well received down the front where I was standing. I remember people throwing things during Paninaro. The rest of the bill was quite conventional and they weren’t really a good fit. They should have put them on before Bowie on the Sunday. It was regarded as a bit of a triumph though so maybe my experience wasn’t entirely shared. Their return visit 10 years later was in a different league altogether.
Woof.

Pod

#3 Post by Pod » Thu 13 Sep 2018, 11:18 pm

I was there in 2000, down the front - I got soaked in God knows what. I don’t remember Chris rapping, but Dog is right, apart from a few diehards the performance was received with confusion. The end of the set was better received. Creamfields was better in my opinion.
I was also there 10 years later, much better experience.
Oh, and Travis were dire...
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Drico One

#4 Post by Drico One » Sat 15 Sep 2018, 1:21 pm

Looking back, this was the most confusing period of their career. They never looked as out of place and time as they did around 2000. That original Glastonbury performance was pivotal in what they were about to become and what they were forced to leave behind. Commercial returns were in decline and Napster was already eating into the record sales business model. They could no longer afford to remain a studio act, but they weren't yet a live act in the way they are today. They were around long enough to annoy people but not long enough to earn their affection, respect, or forgiveness. But, in its own way, that Glastonbury set did show off the one thing they have over pretty much everyone bar a select few in music history: a back catalogue. And in the end, that's all that really matters. Their return nearly a decade later showcased a transmogrified pop behemoth waddling pompously (but triumphantly) around the world like an overweight middle-aged man. Just as it always had to be, really.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

y3potential

#5 Post by y3potential » Sat 15 Sep 2018, 2:23 pm

Drico One wrote:
Sat 15 Sep 2018, 1:21 pm
Looking back, this was the most confusing period of their career. They never looked as out of place and time as they did around 2000. That original Glastonbury performance was pivotal in what they were about to become and what they were forced to leave behind. Commercial returns were in decline and Napster was already eating into the record sales business model. They could no longer afford to remain a studio act, but they weren't yet a live act in the way they are today. They were around long enough to annoy people but not long enough to earn their affection, respect, or forgiveness. But, in its own way, that Glastonbury set did show off the one thing they have over pretty much everyone bar a select few in music history: a back catalogue. And in the end, that's all that really matters. Their return nearly a decade later showcased a transmogrified pop behemoth waddling pompously (but triumphantly) around the world like an overweight middle-aged man. Just as it always had to be, really.

Drico.
I would just like to state here and now that I absolutely love your clever, witty, insightful ramblings on all things PSB's. The countdown you assembled of your favourite (or most important) tracks throughout their career to date is an essential read for anyone remotely interested in the written word and PSB's.

Drico, I salute you, Sir.. :clap:
Do you know the difference between the two genders..?

agent doris

#6 Post by agent doris » Sat 15 Sep 2018, 8:17 pm

Loved that set list! I thought it was a fantastic show. Had loads of good reviews from the non fans afterwards on the Glastonbury website. Loved the opening, the Peter Raufer version of I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more. Superb!!

Nervously

#7 Post by Nervously » Tue 18 Sep 2018, 10:48 am

I was there and loved it ( wasn't sure about "Positive role model" which was new to me but trusted it would grow on me. I was a fan of Cerys so I was pleased to see her too) but in retrospect it seems very strange how they were just another band somewhere on the bill politely received, whereas now they would automatically headline, even though nothing has changed in terms of hits, i.e. all the big hits most people know them for had already hit. I take Drico's point about how they hadn't honed their live act to the level it is now. But they had already had, what, four world tours?

Dog

#8 Post by Dog » Tue 18 Sep 2018, 3:05 pm

Nervously wrote:I was there and loved it ( wasn't sure about "Positive role model" which was new to me but trusted it would grow on me. I was a fan of Cerys so I was pleased to see her too) but in retrospect it seems very strange how they were just another band somewhere on the bill politely received, whereas now they would automatically headline, even though nothing has changed in terms of hits, i.e. all the big hits most people know them for had already hit. I take Drico's point about how they hadn't honed their live act to the level it is now. But they had already had, what, four world tours?
In 2000 they were the penultimate band on the huge Pyramid stage. In 2010 they headlined the smaller Other Stage. I don’t think they’d realistically command either slot now.
Woof.

Dog

#10 Post by Dog » Tue 18 Sep 2018, 3:29 pm

agent doris wrote:They’d 100% get the other stage headline!
I guess they could.

Didn’t you intimate they’d been in negotiations with Glastonbury to bring either the Electric or Super show and they’d failed to agree terms?
Woof.

agent doris

#11 Post by agent doris » Tue 18 Sep 2018, 3:37 pm

Yes, the Super show. We’re planning on doing Isle of Wight festival too. No idea what happened...

Nervously

#12 Post by Nervously » Wed 19 Sep 2018, 9:45 am

Dog wrote:
Tue 18 Sep 2018, 3:05 pm
Nervously wrote:I was there and loved it ( wasn't sure about "Positive role model" which was new to me but trusted it would grow on me. I was a fan of Cerys so I was pleased to see her too) but in retrospect it seems very strange how they were just another band somewhere on the bill politely received, whereas now they would automatically headline, even though nothing has changed in terms of hits, i.e. all the big hits most people know them for had already hit. I take Drico's point about how they hadn't honed their live act to the level it is now. But they had already had, what, four world tours?
In 2000 they were the penultimate band on the huge Pyramid stage. In 2010 they headlined the smaller Other Stage. I don’t think they’d realistically command either slot now.
Sorry, I must have misremembered then. My memory is of them playing much earlier in the afternoon in 2000, but it's all a blur.
I take your general point. There are lots of festivals that they can and do headline, but admittedly Glastonbury is a special case.

tottenhammattspurs

#13 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Wed 19 Sep 2018, 12:45 pm

There's always the "Legends" slot.....
is is and isnt isnt