After the third album of the triology, I want PSB to do an unexpected movement

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

What do you think PSB should do?

A new album
71%
An aditional project (ballet, musical, etc)
6%
Agree with the idea of something they haven't done before (unexpected thing)
24%

Total votes: 34

Bulldog

Re: After the third album of the triology, I want PSB to do an unexpected movement

#16 Post by Bulldog » Sat 01 Sep 2018, 10:32 pm

"Trivial" would be a great title, particularly for a circle of songs about populism - but then I'm afraid Chris would veto it as anti-commercial, like he did when they were toying with the "No" title.
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

Cdrodkey

Re: After the third album of the triology, I want PSB to do an unexpected movement

#17 Post by Cdrodkey » Sat 01 Sep 2018, 11:26 pm

billjermaine wrote:
Thu 30 Aug 2018, 2:26 pm
What's unexpected is that the trilogy came to an end at album #2. I have a feeling they've moved on from it. Stuart Price has been on the downlow for some time now.
Or that EMI release a remastered version of Relentless, to the exultation of many fans, and Neil says that the reissue is the third part of the trilogy.

alig

#18 Post by alig » Thu 13 Sep 2018, 7:23 pm

How about they made a sexy video with scantily clad gals doing a pole dance. I wonder how that would sell.
"John 3:16."

Markpro

#19 Post by Markpro » Fri 14 Sep 2018, 10:59 am

Disco 5 is loooooooong overdue, i want them to revisit their biggest hits and bring them bang up to date with new 12" mixes
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

rashomon

#20 Post by rashomon » Fri 14 Sep 2018, 12:21 pm

Just give me another album of new poptastic tunes ... and then another ... and a couple more after.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

MikeyC

#21 Post by MikeyC » Sat 15 Sep 2018, 4:14 am

Markpro wrote:
Fri 14 Sep 2018, 10:59 am
Disco 5 is loooooooong overdue, i want them to revisit their biggest hits and bring them bang up to date with new 12" mixes
Ooooh that's an intriguing idea, actually! 8)

Bulldog

#22 Post by Bulldog » Sat 15 Sep 2018, 10:08 am

MikeyC wrote:
Sat 15 Sep 2018, 4:14 am
Markpro wrote:
Fri 14 Sep 2018, 10:59 am
Ooooh that's an intriguing idea, actually! 8)
That would mean another pointless live album, basically. Disco 5 should be a collection of new/unreleased remixes from the SP trilogy.
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

Pod

#23 Post by Pod » Sat 15 Sep 2018, 11:50 am

This is what they should do. An interesting poll would be ‘what do you think PSB will do?’
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Drico One

#24 Post by Drico One » Sat 15 Sep 2018, 1:09 pm

The Disco series should be consigned to history and the bargain basement bins.

Why should they restrict themselves because of some spurious tradition? Single word album titles are restrictive as it is, but justifiable as a stylistic conceit. It fits their minimalistic aesthetic. Disco offers no such gain and plenty of pain. To be honest, it's not even collectible in terms of merit.

While the original album was fantastic, Disco 2 was a crime against humanity, Disco 3 was a hotchpotch of mediocrity (half an album and half an afterthought), and Disco 4 was a pointless vanity project. I thought this "series" had been allowed to slowly die in a dark corner of our long forgotten past, where only Absolutely Fabulous, Winner, and whatever hair-raising nonsense they once cobbled together with Elton John lurk.

Note: Some or all of the above may or may not accurately reflect the sincere opinion of the author.

Of course, given that Pet Shop Boys now are almost as much about their past as they are their present and future, I think the timing of a collection of remixed classics would be less offensive now than it would have been at any time in the past. I'm just not sure what such a rework would achieve or even hope to achieve.

The only thing I want from Neil and Chris is a new collection of good songs. I believe they are already working on this. A new single before I qualify to draw my pension might be nice too, mind.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...