Neil Tennant announces new book

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Pod

Re: Neil Tennant announces new book

#91 Post by Pod » Sun 29 Jul 2018, 12:27 pm

Someone’s quick off the mark!
Attachments
7877EDEF-9095-4DD9-981C-3E4218DE5E78.jpeg
7877EDEF-9095-4DD9-981C-3E4218DE5E78.jpeg (210.2 KiB) Viewed 1732 times
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Greendrake

#92 Post by Greendrake » Sun 29 Jul 2018, 12:57 pm

ArtHist wrote:
Sat 28 Jul 2018, 12:58 pm
Imagine it on audiobook! On iTunes between Simon & Garfunkel's "The Sound of Silence" and John Cage's 4′33″.
A 180g vinyl would be a must then! :mrgreen:

ArtHist

#93 Post by ArtHist » Sun 29 Jul 2018, 2:26 pm

Pod wrote:
Sun 29 Jul 2018, 12:27 pm
I'm guessing Dr Who is selling his copy? Only a time traveller would be able to promise delivery in August for a book not released until November.

Marie loves PSB

#94 Post by Marie loves PSB » Sun 29 Jul 2018, 5:33 pm

ArtHist wrote:
Sun 29 Jul 2018, 2:26 pm
Pod wrote:
Sun 29 Jul 2018, 12:27 pm
I'm guessing Dr Who is selling his copy? Only a time traveller would be able to promise delivery in August for a book not released until November.

Bravo that's a good one! lol.. :lol: I was wondering the same myself. (The promise of delivery in August when it is not even out until November).

leesmapman

#95 Post by leesmapman » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 7:12 am

ArtHist wrote:
Sun 29 Jul 2018, 2:26 pm
I'm guessing Dr Who is selling his copy?
*her :wink:

Patrick Bateman

#96 Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 8:47 am

I see that Neil is now capitalising titles properly.

SynthMan Wales

#97 Post by SynthMan Wales » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 11:00 am

Nervously wrote:
Sun 29 Jul 2018, 8:39 am
SynthMan Wales wrote:
Sun 29 Jul 2018, 7:40 am
I am looking forward to this.

I hope the selection is a little daring as PSB's biggest hits are not necessarily their most interesting.

I'd rather read the lyrics (and commentary) of Jack The Lad or DJ Culture that those of Heart or It's A Sin, for example.
"It's a sin" isn't interesting?
I love It's A Sin as a track, it its lyrics written down on the page would be a bit spartan, especially (by PSB's own admission) the song sorts of cops out by the last verse just being a retread of what's go on before.

hidroboy

#98 Post by hidroboy » Sat 11 Aug 2018, 9:26 pm

Hi! I was lucky enough to buy the limited edition in the official shop, but browsing the Faber & Faber website I recently found a 75£ edition of the book.

I wouldn't dare venturing if this is the same edition that was available in the official website, but the ISBN is the same, and to those of you who missed the chance, I think it won't hurt asking them!

https://www.faber.co.uk/catalog/product ... egory/172/

Good luck!
hidroboy

rashomon

#99 Post by rashomon » Wed 22 Aug 2018, 5:10 pm

Sounds like it will be the same physical book as that sold on the website but without signature.

Strange really... they should have kept it truly exclusive by not making it available elsewhere other than the PSB online store.

Perhaps the publishers have a few surplus stock units that they need to shift.

Dunno
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

psbfannyc

#100 Post by psbfannyc » Wed 22 Aug 2018, 7:04 pm

hidroboy wrote:
Sat 11 Aug 2018, 9:26 pm
Hi! I was lucky enough to buy the limited edition in the official shop, but browsing the Faber & Faber website I recently found a 75£ edition of the book.

I wouldn't dare venturing if this is the same edition that was available in the official website, but the ISBN is the same, and to those of you who missed the chance, I think it won't hurt asking them!

https://www.faber.co.uk/catalog/product ... egory/172/

Good luck!
hidroboy
Now on: https://www.faber.co.uk/catalog/product ... egory/172/

"Everything I’ve ever done
Everything I ever do
Every place I’ve ever been
Everywhere I’m going to

Over a career that spans four decades and thirteen studio albums with Pet Shop Boys, Neil Tennant has consistently proved himself to be one of the most elegant and stylish of contemporary lyricists. Arranged alphabetically, One Hundred Lyrics and a Poem presents an overview of Neil Tennant's considerable achievement as a chronicler of modern life: the romance, the break-ups, the aspirations, the changing attitudes, the history, the politics, the pain.

The landscape of Tennant's lyrics is recognisably British in character - restrained and preoccupied with the mundane, occasionally satirical, yet also yearning for escape and theatrical release. Often surprisingly revealing, this volume is contextualised by a personal commentary on each lyric and a fascinating introduction by the author which gives an insight into the process and genesis of writing.

Flamboyant, understated, celebratory and elegiac, Neil Tennant's lyrics are a document of our times."

Ramzy

#101 Post by Ramzy » Wed 22 Aug 2018, 9:14 pm

I don't think I immediately appreciated how many 100 actually is. A quick sum of all their albums, knocking off eight for being covers or (almost or entirely) instrumental leaves something like 130 (don't @ me, I did this in my head). Add on the 50 or so B-sides and one-off singles that aren't covers, and lyrics he's written for other people and I think you're on 200 maximum. So this is pretty much half of everything he's ever written, which makes it rather more comprehensive than I initially imagined.
I must disengage your recreational music.

MikeyC

#102 Post by MikeyC » Thu 23 Aug 2018, 5:32 am

Ramzy wrote:
Wed 22 Aug 2018, 9:14 pm
I don't think I immediately appreciated how many 100 actually is. A quick sum of all their albums, knocking off eight for being covers or (almost or entirely) instrumental leaves something like 130 (don't @ me, I did this in my head). Add on the 50 or so B-sides and one-off singles that aren't covers, and lyrics he's written for other people and I think you're on 200 maximum. So this is pretty much half of everything he's ever written, which makes it rather more comprehensive than I initially imagined.

Slightly off-topic, but might we get another book from you analyzing another PSB album? One can hope! 8)

Ramzy

#103 Post by Ramzy » Thu 23 Aug 2018, 8:13 am

MikeyC wrote: Slightly off-topic, but might we get another book from you analyzing another PSB album? One can hope! 8)
Gosh that's very flattering. I don't know if Repeater would go for more of the same, though also I kind of assumed on top of that no one would actually want any more. I am meant to be writing another one about a different band for the same publisher but let's say it isn't going very well
I must disengage your recreational music.

stussyboy

#104 Post by stussyboy » Mon 27 Aug 2018, 1:54 pm

Ramzy wrote:
Thu 23 Aug 2018, 8:13 am
MikeyC wrote: Slightly off-topic, but might we get another book from you analyzing another PSB album? One can hope! 8)
Gosh that's very flattering. I don't know if Repeater would go for more of the same, though also I kind of assumed on top of that no one would actually want any more. I am meant to be writing another one about a different band for the same publisher but let's say it isn't going very well
I would certainly buy another
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

Pod

#105 Post by Pod » Mon 27 Aug 2018, 6:24 pm

stussyboy wrote:
Mon 27 Aug 2018, 1:54 pm
Ramzy wrote:
Thu 23 Aug 2018, 8:13 am
I would certainly buy another
Me too - I enjoyed the book about Very very much!
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.