Neil Tennant announces new book

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Enfant Terrible

Re: Neil Tennant announces new book

#241 Post by Enfant Terrible » Thu 01 Nov 2018, 2:31 pm

PETHEAD72 wrote:
Thu 01 Nov 2018, 12:49 pm
Did anyone place an order on the faber&faber website for the special edition?....i did on 28th august,order was received with email confirmation,never heard anything since then,started to wonder why as my credit card hadn't been charged,so i phoned last week and the guy said money will be taken upon dispatch.still no confirmation email this week,so i phoned again this morning.seemingly anyone who placed an order they were then cancelled as the special edition wasn't even available!...why was it even on the website and email confirmation of order!,absolutely livid.shoddy customer service.
Same here :-(

greenmile

#242 Post by greenmile » Thu 01 Nov 2018, 2:42 pm

I ordered the limited edition on the website the day it went live. Credit card was charged last week and got my shipping email this morning so fingers crossed!

tottenhammattspurs

#243 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Thu 01 Nov 2018, 3:54 pm

Can anyone with a limited edition copy confirm that they've basically paid an extra £60 for a shiny cardboard cover for the book to go in?
is is and isnt isnt

PETHEAD72

#244 Post by PETHEAD72 » Thu 01 Nov 2018, 3:57 pm

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Thu 01 Nov 2018, 3:54 pm
Can anyone with a limited edition copy confirm that they've basically paid an extra £60 for a shiny cardboard cover for the book to go in?
Are they not numbered?
You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

agent doris

#245 Post by agent doris » Thu 01 Nov 2018, 4:19 pm

Numbered with bookmark and silver page edging none the less!

Sandy Shaw

#246 Post by Sandy Shaw » Thu 01 Nov 2018, 7:03 pm

PETHEAD72 wrote:
Did anyone place an order on the faber&faber website for the special edition?....i did on 28th august,order was received with email confirmation,never heard anything since then,started to wonder why as my credit card hadn't been charged,so i phoned last week and the guy said money will be taken upon dispatch.still no confirmation email this week,so i phoned again this morning.seemingly anyone who placed an order they were then cancelled as the special edition wasn't even available!...why was it even on the website and email confirmation of order!,absolutely livid.shoddy customer service.
My order from Faber and Faber has been "Sent to Warehouse".
What's for supper?

Patrick Bateman

#247 Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu 01 Nov 2018, 7:10 pm

Faber and Faber is clearly the publishing equivalent of EMI.

Hello there—

I'm afraid I'm writing with bad news.

You recently ordered a copy of a special edition of Neil Tennant's One Hundred Lyrics and a Poem (9780571351572) from faber.co.uk.

But we made a mistake. The particular version of the book you ordered, 9780571351572, should never have been available for purchase on our website; it was intended to be sold directly from the band's website. But due to a technical error on our part, you were able to order the book and now it's publication day and you are expecting your book and we do not have it to send you, and you never even received a message to say your order had been cancelled.

To be clear: your order was cancelled, which means you were never charged for your purchase.

I'm really sorry. It's a human error, and it's ours, and there's not much more to it, really.

We want to try and go some way to make amends, so we are going to be sending you a free copy of the normal edition of Neil's book. But we'll also be including something a little special: one of a very limited number of letterpress prints that Neil made of his own lyrics at the London College of Book Arts earlier this year. They're beautiful little things – there are some pictures attached.

They will go out on Monday, direct from our offices here.

Again, I'm really sorry. I really hope you enjoy the book when it arrives.

Best wishes,

Ian

Enfant Terrible

#248 Post by Enfant Terrible » Thu 01 Nov 2018, 7:32 pm

Sandy Shaw wrote:
Thu 01 Nov 2018, 7:03 pm
PETHEAD72 wrote:
My order from Faber and Faber has been "Sent to Warehouse".

That’s what my account said. But when I click on order details it says “ordered: 1, cancelled: 1”
Not very professional. It took five phone calls over three days to actually get an answer from them once I noticed this.

Pod

#249 Post by Pod » Thu 01 Nov 2018, 8:02 pm

Got my shipping email for the ltd edition - waiting with baited breath...
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Pod

#250 Post by Pod » Thu 01 Nov 2018, 8:05 pm

Limited to only 500 copies
Each copy numbered and signed by Neil Tennant
Hand sewn, with white gloss paper-covered boards
Reflective silver paper endpapers
Silver/grey h&t bands
Silver/grey ribbon
Rigid reflective silver slipcase

Make your own mind up...
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

tucky101

#251 Post by tucky101 » Thu 01 Nov 2018, 8:06 pm

Well I’ve got mine.

Took the day off work, went down to London on the train, went to London review bookshop and bought one. Guy behind the counter told me all their copies were signed.

Only cost me a £40 train fare.....😂

Sandy Shaw

#252 Post by Sandy Shaw » Thu 01 Nov 2018, 8:10 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Thu 01 Nov 2018, 7:10 pm
Faber and Faber is clearly the publishing equivalent of EMI.

Hello there—

I'm afraid I'm writing with bad news.

You recently ordered a copy of a special edition of Neil Tennant's One Hundred Lyrics and a Poem (9780571351572) from faber.co.uk.

But we made a mistake. The particular version of the book you ordered, 9780571351572, should never have been available for purchase on our website; it was intended to be sold directly from the band's website. But due to a technical error on our part, you were able to order the book and now it's publication day and you are expecting your book and we do not have it to send you, and you never even received a message to say your order had been cancelled.

To be clear: your order was cancelled, which means you were never charged for your purchase.

I'm really sorry. It's a human error, and it's ours, and there's not much more to it, really.

We want to try and go some way to make amends, so we are going to be sending you a free copy of the normal edition of Neil's book. But we'll also be including something a little special: one of a very limited number of letterpress prints that Neil made of his own lyrics at the London College of Book Arts earlier this year. They're beautiful little things – there are some pictures attached.

They will go out on Monday, direct from our offices here.

Again, I'm really sorry. I really hope you enjoy the book when it arrives.

Best wishes,

Ian
I've now received this too of course!
What's for supper?

Sandy Shaw

#253 Post by Sandy Shaw » Thu 01 Nov 2018, 8:12 pm

Pod wrote:
Thu 01 Nov 2018, 8:05 pm
Limited to only 500 copies
Each copy numbered and signed by Neil Tennant
Hand sewn, with white gloss paper-covered boards
Reflective silver paper endpapers
Silver/grey h&t bands
Silver/grey ribbon
Rigid reflective silver slipcase

Make your own mind up...
Rather than,or possibly in addition to numbering them, I think they may have petsonal dedications.

EDIT: For "petsonal" read "personal" but I left my appropriate typo intact!
What's for supper?

Patrick Bateman

#254 Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu 01 Nov 2018, 11:29 pm

Dear Ian,

Thank you for your email. I am delighted to learn that that the prestigious publishing house Faber and Faber is unable to meet any orders for a book that it is publishing - on the day of publication. Keep up the good work!

Yours sincerely,

Patrick Bateman

RMC

#255 Post by RMC » Thu 01 Nov 2018, 11:48 pm

Waterstones at Meadowhall shopping center today, no books on the shelf.