Why do people hate “Before”?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
retrofuturist

Re: Why do people hate “Before”?

#31 Post by retrofuturist » Fri 01 Jun 2018, 6:31 am

Greetings,
nickname wrote:
Thu 31 May 2018, 8:50 pm
Even the drum basis is underwhelming. If you go to a club, it's an easy listening sound to have a drink and talk to Friends but nothing particulary special.
It's funny you say that, because the one time I played it while DJ'ing, I played the D.T. After mix really early on in the night, to make use of that comparatively mellow vibe. There's no way I'd play it in a peak set, even though it went Top 30 here in Australia.

Retro. :)

goughsjd

#32 Post by goughsjd » Fri 01 Jun 2018, 7:21 am

I am a Before fan myself, absolutely love it but I agree there could have been a better choice for lead single !
Wolverhampton Civic '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Covent Garden ‘18

tottenhammattspurs

#33 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Fri 01 Jun 2018, 8:55 am

The Joey Negro mixes were just superb. They’re still superb. They will always be superb.
is is and isnt isnt

britboy

#34 Post by britboy » Fri 01 Jun 2018, 9:58 am

I don't have any problem with ''Before'' at all, I remember hearing it on Radio 1 on the car radio for the first time, I didn't even recognize it was the boys until the bridge when I suddenly heard Neil's tones...ok it wasn't their best ever single but if you compare it with ''Single'' it's a triumph, ''Single'' was the first Pet Shop Boys I really didn't like...in fact I still remember listening to Bilingual for the first time and being horrified at hearing the first 4 songs, what on earth had they done after the brilliant Very, it was only when I got to ''It Always Comes As A Surprise'' that I really started enjoying the album, it's still the best track on Bilingual in my book.
Last edited by britboy on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bulldog

#35 Post by Bulldog » Fri 01 Jun 2018, 11:40 am

The song in itself is bland and unmemorable, but the sparkling production saves it. The best from Bilingual era relates very much to NY '90s house and disco - I mean stuff like MAW, Tenaglia, Mateo & Matos and all the rest of it - and I think they should have followed that direction for the entire album.
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

jasonjohn

#36 Post by jasonjohn » Fri 01 Jun 2018, 1:07 pm

Terrific track, to me.

People sometimes forget that PSB like doing new things. It was a new sound for them and they rolled with it.

To my ears, Bilingual has quite dated production .... but I actually like it more for it..... Up Against It, for example, feels so rampantly retro I can't help but enjoy it.

Even the "schitzo" nature of it all works for me. It's Bi, after all! Super is probably worse in this regard, even with one sole producer.

jasonjohn

#37 Post by jasonjohn » Fri 01 Jun 2018, 1:16 pm

It's seems to be generally loved by youtube commenters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0skdPRuPsk

Sometimes think the inner circle here has been overly spoilt by PSB :)

minimal

#38 Post by minimal » Fri 01 Jun 2018, 3:05 pm

I love each time "Before" and "Bilingual" are discussed. I, for one, belong to the minority that rates "Bilingual" as one of their finest records. That perfect summer soundtrack probably belongs to my personal Top 5 PSB albums. I like its diversity, themes and summerly sound. Also, the overall artwork, video clips and photographs were great. In my opinion, its heterogeneity is its strength. Moreover, yellow and green they use very little up to this day. So especially the album cover as well as the "Single-Bilingual" single packging were excellent and are nice to look at. It's great work by Farrow. I only wish they had released "Up against it" or "To step aside" as singles, though.

m+

Disco.

#39 Post by Disco. » Fri 01 Jun 2018, 5:10 pm

Well, To Step Aside was released as a double A-side in the U.S, along with Se Vida E', but Up Against It should have been released.

Pod

#40 Post by Pod » Fri 01 Jun 2018, 5:19 pm

I actually don’t dislike Bilingual as an album - it has its moments. Before is ok, just that, ok. Se a vida e I detest - cringingly cheesy. However, Electricity, Metamorphosis, up against it, the survivors, single - love ‘em!
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

panda magic

#41 Post by panda magic » Fri 01 Jun 2018, 6:14 pm

It does bug me a bit the way PSB themselves seem to be writing Before out of their own history. It's rarely performed live and was left off Ultimate in favour of Se a vida é, despite it being a) the lead single from Bilingual and b) a better performer in the UK charts than Se a vida é (albeit by one spot, but still.) So Hard is getting similar treatment, which is an even greater crime.

ArtHist

#42 Post by ArtHist » Fri 01 Jun 2018, 6:35 pm

minimal wrote:
Fri 01 Jun 2018, 3:05 pm
I love each time "Before" and "Bilingual" are discussed. I, for one, belong to the minority that rates "Bilingual" as one of their finest records. That perfect summer soundtrack probably belongs to my personal Top 5 PSB albums. I like its diversity, themes and summerly sound. Also, the overall artwork, video clips and photographs were great. In my opinion, its heterogeneity is its strength. Moreover, yellow and green they use very little up to this day. So especially the album cover as well as the "Single-Bilingual" single packging were excellent and are nice to look at. It's great work by Farrow. I only wish they had released "Up against it" or "To step aside" as singles, though.

m+
Definitely contender for a summer album. I make the same associations. I can see why it's such a divisive album to fans. They'd dropped the wacky outfits in favour of a more generic visual appearance. Maybe the focus was on sound rather than visuals. They were swimming against the tide during the Britpop era. Would likewise include it in a top 5 list.

spacewalker

#43 Post by spacewalker » Fri 01 Jun 2018, 6:43 pm

I don't hate it, but this song just feels so weird. The main melody is strange and Neil's high pitched vocals make it almost uncomfortable. The only bit I really love is middle eight ("There's a story of a man..."). Still one of the three songs I usually skip while listening to the otherwise great "Bilingual".

billjermaine

#44 Post by billjermaine » Sun 03 Jun 2018, 4:04 am

Remember being underwhelmed by this as a single. Loved the production, and makes a great album track, but chorus too soft for a single release, especially to launch a new album.

Propertius

#45 Post by Propertius » Sun 03 Jun 2018, 6:19 am

Chris loves the track, and he’s right to do so. I think he’s said there’s not an ounce of fat on it, or words to that effect, and it’s true. It’s sleek and sounds like nothing else in the PSB canon: very ‘90s New York in a way that should have been a stateside hit. (Though U.S. Radio was a lost cause for them by then.) I wish they’d done more things like it.

Unlike some who like the song in an album setting, I’ve always preferred it as a single: that “no fat” quality doesn’t quite apply to the album version with its extended outro. It also doesn’t fit in with the sound of the rest of the album, not that the sound is entirely consistent anyway.

The mixes are pretty good: most preserve Neil’s vocals and something of the original tune, which was a welcome change after most of the Very-era remixes. The b-sides are great (except for the rather bland new “In the night”) and two of them are like nothing we would have ever expected from the Boys. I remembering being bowled over at the time by the Boys’ talent for reinvention a decade into their career. The whole single package was fresh. (Though yeah, the very high-sung vocals took some getting used to: between this and Some Speculation, Neil seemed to be singing higher and higher.)