Why do people hate “Before”?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Disco.

Re: Why do people hate “Before”?

#16 Post by Disco. » Wed 30 May 2018, 8:16 pm

As Chris has said about A Red Letter Day: " The production lets it down"

Still like it though, especially the Motiv 8 mixes.

joe stalin

#17 Post by joe stalin » Wed 30 May 2018, 8:25 pm

Nothing much to add that hasn’t been said before. Their career low point... extended into Nightlife and Release.

Only saving grace was the B sides were far better than the A sides

Especially the magesterial Delusions of Grandeur

Lyrically up there in their top 20 of all time

Undertaker

#18 Post by Undertaker » Wed 30 May 2018, 9:06 pm

If there were a race to bet on where the field was made up of singles were the B sides were better, Before would be the hot pot favourite.

Ive never been keen on it. Its a bit wine bar music. It would probably fit better on Elysium. It sold quite a decent amount though.

Patrick Bateman

#19 Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed 30 May 2018, 9:54 pm

It's arguably their most dance-orientated single and PSB fans tend to prefer pop.

Pod

#20 Post by Pod » Wed 30 May 2018, 10:00 pm

Best remixes of this era were the trouser enthusiasts ones. The autoerotic decapitation mix of red letter day is one of their best in my humble opinion.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Nervously

#21 Post by Nervously » Wed 30 May 2018, 11:10 pm

Apart from what's been mentioned, the enjambement of the lyrics doesn't work. Here's what the lyric sheet says:

"so many tears will fall
before you find your love
before it comes knocking at your door"

but this is what we hear:

"so many tears will fall before.

"You find your love before,
it comes knocking at your door"

...which makes no sense.
I like the song but it's an underwhelming lead single. In fact I pretty much agree with Drico's assessment of all the Bilingual singles (though I kind of like Somewhere.) Bilingual is great but it's not a single-laden album.

StevePSB
Site Admin

#22 Post by StevePSB » Wed 30 May 2018, 11:22 pm

I don't hate it, but it's quite boring album filler material.

I agree with Drico - I've never thought Neil at his best in high pitch.

It's definitely not single material.

StevePSB

retrofuturist

#23 Post by retrofuturist » Thu 31 May 2018, 12:11 am

Greetings,
Luke Colorado wrote:
Wed 30 May 2018, 3:53 pm
I would love for Danny T to update Before.
Have you heard the D.T. "After" mix? It's my favourite of all the Before mixes, even moreso than the single and album versions.

(Which isn't saying much... it's still one of the worst PSB singles, definitely the worst "lead single" they've released, and coming off the back of previous full-length albums it had a disappointment factor comparable to Disco 2)

Retro. :)
Last edited by retrofuturist on Thu 31 May 2018, 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

retrofuturist

#24 Post by retrofuturist » Thu 31 May 2018, 12:12 am

Greetings,
Undertaker wrote:
Wed 30 May 2018, 9:06 pm
If there were a race to bet on where the field was made up of singles were the B sides were better, Before would be the hot pot favourite.
It would come a noteworthy second.... coming in behind the ultimate Winner.

Retro. :)

bookshopboy

#25 Post by bookshopboy » Thu 31 May 2018, 9:21 am

It's one of my favourite PSB tracks ever, definitely top-5.

Scottydog

#26 Post by Scottydog » Thu 31 May 2018, 10:23 am

Before is a perfectly good and memorable song worthy of its place on Bilingual. It’s not a personal favourite but it’s certainly not one that I ever skip. I wouldn’t have chosen it as a lead single though.
Is Before any different to any other song by anyone else? By that I mean name just about any song on any artists forum and you find those who love and those who hate it. One of my most played PSB albums is Bilingual. So are Elysium, Release and Nightlife. I don’t necessarily say they are favourites because I don’t have one. It depends on my mood. Having been fascinated reading ancient posts since recently discovering this forum I shouldn’t be surprised that those albums often appear at the bottom of other lists I’ve seen. It’s a personal choice. Diversity.... maybe that could be the next album title

Luke Colorado

#27 Post by Luke Colorado » Thu 31 May 2018, 6:04 pm

As much as it makes my testis ache to say it: Undertaker is right. Before would be perfect on Elysium. At least in terms of mood, of not production.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

TallThinMan

#28 Post by TallThinMan » Thu 31 May 2018, 7:57 pm

I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it either. I like the title, the sleeves, the video is quite stylish and the song is fairly catchy and has gorgeous Elysium-esque backing vocals. At the time I was underwhelmed by it. I remember reading that they’d returned to Unique Studios in NYC where they used to record with Bobby O…so expectations were high because of that and because of the high standard that the hyper-pop of Very had achieved.

nickname

#29 Post by nickname » Thu 31 May 2018, 8:50 pm

Even the drum basis is underwhelming. If you go to a club, it's an easy listening sound to have a drink and talk to Friends but nothing particulary special.

panda magic

#30 Post by panda magic » Thu 31 May 2018, 11:32 pm

Like some other people have already said, I was a little indifferent to Before in 1995. It seemed very bland and lightweight coming after Very. My 19 year old ears weren't yet sophisticated enough to appreciate it's subtle charms. Eventually, much much later (like the late 2000s?) I reappraised the song and realized that it's actually sublime. There's a lot from the Bilingual era that fell victim to the trappings of the mid-90s - there's a kind of flat sound to some of the production, and an aural fatigue that arises from being over-produced (though to be fair, Very had some early signs of that too.) Before, on the other hand, now sounds fresher than ever, with its breezy drums, effortless chorus, and backing vocals that could be straight out of the 70s. It doesn't seem nearly as tied to a mid-90s sound as, say, A Red Letter Day does, and that is probably its greatest strength.

And Neil's high-register vocals don't bother me as much as it does others here - to me it seems to fit with the 70s disco aesthetic.

The Boy Who Couldn't Keep His Clothes On is definitely a sillier cousin to Before, since both are Danny Tenaglia productions and both have very crisp, spacious sounding percussion that is one or two steps outside the Chris Lowe wheelhouse of drum programming. This is probably my favorite b-side from this era (sorry everyone - I don't really get the love for Delusions of Grandeur at all.)

Also - I seem to recall Neil saying that he wishes he'd used an edit of the extended mix (which is superb) for the single version of Before, a sentiment I'm inclined to agree with. Does anyone else remember this or am I just making it up?