BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Undertaker

Re: BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

#61 Post by Undertaker » Fri 30 Nov 2018, 10:42 pm

Apart from PSB, that episode was gash. That video with Cliff Richard smelling her hair... Vomit.

tottenhammattspurs

#63 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Sat 01 Dec 2018, 11:48 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Thu 29 Nov 2018, 10:27 pm
Neil's strange half-dance, half-march is most amusing.

Lots of big tunes in the Top Ten - Walk Like an Egyptian, Suburbia 8) , Don't Leave Me This Way, You Can Call Me Al and Rain or Shine.
An early incarnation of the Skibidi!
is is and isnt isnt

Patrick Bateman

#65 Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu 27 Dec 2018, 10:25 pm

I've never seen this performance.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... s-25121986

@40:00

greenmile

#66 Post by greenmile » Thu 27 Dec 2018, 11:06 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Thu 27 Dec 2018, 10:25 pm

Saw that earlier on. Almost like Neil & Chris decided to swap their outfits at the last minute.

PopArt

#67 Post by PopArt » Fri 28 Dec 2018, 1:54 pm

I hadn't seen it either.

I was wondering last night, given that the BBC4 'The Story Of 1986' documentary didn't feature PSB do we think there may be an interview or something with Neil and Chris for The Story of 1987? It is being broadcast on 4 January. It feels odd not to draw attention to PSB's main imperial year when they had two number 1's, a number 2 and a number 8. And one of those number 1's was the Christmas Number One. That's a pretty heroic run of hits for any one given year. You would have thought that the documentary discussing the year at TOTP would have a segment on PSB.
I'm always waiting...

Patrick Bateman

#68 Post by Patrick Bateman » Fri 28 Dec 2018, 5:16 pm

PopArt wrote:
Fri 28 Dec 2018, 1:54 pm
I hadn't seen it either.

I was wondering last night, given that the BBC4 'The Story Of 1986' documentary didn't feature PSB do we think there may be an interview or something with Neil and Chris for The Story of 1987? It is being broadcast on 4 January. It feels odd not to draw attention to PSB's main imperial year when they had two number 1's, a number 2 and a number 8. And one of those number 1's was the Christmas Number One. That's a pretty heroic run of hits for any one given year. You would have thought that the documentary discussing the year at TOTP would have a segment on PSB.
Doesn't look like it. :roll: A singer from a less successful synth-pop duo is interviewed however.

1987 – a year marked by triumph and disaster. As Mrs Thatcher secured a third term as PM, the Channel Tunnel began construction and Wall Street’s movie representative Gordon Gecko purred ‘Greed is good’ – Britain was battered by the Great Storm, despaired at Black Monday and was horrified by the sinking of The Herald of Free Enterprise and the King’s Cross fire.

And while epic events unfolded in the outside world, the Top of the Pops studio provided a haven for those who wanted to escape. With a new groundbreaking twin show broadcast from the USA, Top of the Pops could sidestep the videos of MTV and bring the very biggest names to UK audiences. In Television Centre, Stock, Aitken and Waterman provided the floor-fillers as hip-hop and rap made their mark on the chart along with home-grown house. From the rock aristocracy to pure pop hits and the irresistible new funk grooves, the youth could pick their own soundtrack and pump up the volume.

Terence Trent D’Arby, Curiosity Killed the Cat, PWL stablemates Rick Astley and Kim Appleby, Andy Bell, Carol Decker and Belinda Carlisle lead us through a smorgasbord year in music.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001wds

y3potential

#69 Post by y3potential » Fri 28 Dec 2018, 9:00 pm

I agree it would be nice to see Neil & Chris interviewed for this but they just don't really do this kind of thing. Frustrating as it is.. They have never really put themselves 'out there' so to speak. It makes them who they are, I suppose..
Do you know the difference between the two genders..?

Drico One

#70 Post by Drico One » Fri 28 Dec 2018, 10:20 pm

They’re pop royalty. Why would they want to be associated with that line up of mediocrities. It’s like one of those horrible 1980s nostalgia tours that pop up for the Christmas office party season.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Undertaker

#71 Post by Undertaker » Sat 29 Dec 2018, 3:58 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Thu 27 Dec 2018, 10:25 pm

Nor me and it was very classy. Its like they swapped clothes as well.

Moira Stewart

#72 Post by Moira Stewart » Sat 05 Jan 2019, 10:53 am

So what WAS it that Neil said about Carol Decker? We need to know

All I can find about it is this
Tennant seems to be playing his character in the style of Russell Harty. Try and recall Harty's pronunciation of "monarch" with its regal flounce; Tennant does this. And "bottom", as if perched on the edge of the bench, cheeks firmly clenched – Tennant does this, too. For now we're back talking about Carol Decker of T'Pau and those 80s we're not nostalgic about: "I said something fantastically rude about her once, and the next time she saw me she slapped me on the bottom."

canveyboy

#73 Post by canveyboy » Sat 05 Jan 2019, 8:04 pm

Drico One wrote:
Fri 28 Dec 2018, 10:20 pm
They’re pop royalty. Why would they want to be associated with that line up of mediocrities. It’s like one of those horrible 1980s nostalgia tours that pop up for the Christmas office party season.

Drico.
Agreed 100%. They will never go on that. Or any other 80s related programme that features other 80s acts. The reason is simple. They don’t want to be associated with just being an 80s band. Yes, they started in the 80s and yes they had their biggest successes in the 80s but they have continued to the current day and are as relevant to their fan base today as they were in 1987. They don’t want to be pigeonholed as an 80s act and I totally understand that. Look at everything they have done post 80s!! There’s as much chance of Neil and Chris appearing at an 80s weekender as there is of Aliens landing on the White House lawn :lol: :lol:
Its taken me all of my life to find you

tottenhammattspurs

#74 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Sun 06 Jan 2019, 9:50 am

Well that “Story Of 1987” was a bit shit. Tiny clip of it’s a sin at the start then a clip of Always on my mind with some sarky comments from Pete Waterman and Carol Decker over it. Their imperial phase, a whole section on 60s stars re-emerging and not a mention of Dusty. Worra swizz
is is and isnt isnt

Patrick Bateman

#75 Post by Patrick Bateman » Sun 06 Jan 2019, 10:35 am

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Sun 06 Jan 2019, 9:50 am
Well that “Story Of 1987” was a bit shit. Tiny clip of it’s a sin at the start then a clip of Always on my mind with some sarky comments from Pete Waterman and Carol Decker over it. Their imperial phase, a whole section on 60s stars re-emerging and not a mention of Dusty. Worra swizz
History not so much written by the victors, rather by the Z-listers.

And yes, Carol, synth-pop was in vogue at the time - better that than sub-Bonnie Tyler pop-rock with lyrical concepts gleaned from a fourteen-year-old girl's diary.

That 60s thing was particularly galling - Mick Jagger's solo single was a flop (as discussed in the Chart Music podcast); Paul McCartney had been having hits right through the 70s and early 80s and was actually less successful by 1987; and as for Genesis - who were a 70s group - they had never been away and were globally massive by the mid-1980s. So basically, Tom Jones (though not with Kiss which was 1988), George Harrison and the Bee Gees had massive hits in 1987. I hate when a false narrative is constructed. :twisted: