BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
User avatar
y3potential
Posts: 943
Joined: Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:21 pm
Contact:

Re: BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

#181 Post by y3potential »

y3potential wrote:
Sun 12 Apr 2020, 11:07 am
PopKid78 wrote:
Sun 12 Apr 2020, 10:06 am
Back when a TOTP appearance made all the difference to how well a Single performed in the Charts, I’ve often wondered about the Singles that weren’t performed live on the show. Obviously it’s something we’ll never know, but I do think that some Singles would’ve benefited from a live studio performance, to help give it that push up the Charts. Maybe not It’s Alright, but I’ve always thought Go West, could’ve got to the top, with a memorable live studio performance.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more..! In fact, when you think about it, there are quite a few singles that weren't performed on Top of the Pops apart from It's Alright.. Off the top of my head.. DJ Culture. Was It Worth It..? Streets. Jealousy. Go West. Yesterday WIWM. Before. Se A Vida E. Single..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Straight_Talker
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon 13 Aug 2012, 5:29 pm
Contact:

Re: BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

#182 Post by Straight_Talker »

PopKid78 wrote:
Sun 12 Apr 2020, 10:06 am
Back when a TOTP appearance made all the difference to how well a Single performed in the Charts, I’ve often wondered about the Singles that weren’t performed live on the show. Obviously it’s something we’ll never know, but I do think that some Singles would’ve benefited from a live studio performance, to help give it that push up the Charts. Maybe not It’s Alright, but I’ve always thought Go West, could’ve got to the top, with a memorable live studio performance.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, good point. Kinda related to your observation, I remember watching the video for Go West on TOTP when it was number 2 and vying for a number 1 spot. The programme stopped the video right in its tracks just as the mighty chord change was about to drop. I recall thinking to myself that if only they played an extra 10 seconds or more it may have grabbed even more attention. The chord change was (still is?) an absolutely euphoric moment for me when I heard it on the radio at the time and I was gutted they cut it off on the show!!!!!!!
More strobes and BANGING, please!

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 8922
Joined: Sat 12 Apr 2008, 4:35 pm
Contact:

Re: BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

#183 Post by Patrick Bateman »

y3potential wrote:
Sun 12 Apr 2020, 11:07 am
Couldn't agree more..! In fact, when you think about it, there are quite a few singles that weren't performed on Top or the Pops apart from It's Alright.. Off the top of my head.. DJ Culture. Was It Worth It..? Streets. Jealousy. Go West. Yesterday WIWM. Before. Se A Vida E. Single..
Why weren't the Bilingual singles performed (until A red letter day)? I know they 'underpromoted' Bilingual but it does seem strange the first couple of singles in particular weren't on TOTP.

User avatar
michael888
Posts: 530
Joined: Thu 19 May 2011, 1:22 pm
Contact:

Re: BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

#184 Post by michael888 »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Sun 12 Apr 2020, 10:47 pm
y3potential wrote:
Sun 12 Apr 2020, 11:07 am
Couldn't agree more..! In fact, when you think about it, there are quite a few singles that weren't performed on Top or the Pops apart from It's Alright.. Off the top of my head.. DJ Culture. Was It Worth It..? Streets. Jealousy. Go West. Yesterday WIWM. Before. Se A Vida E. Single..
Why weren't the Bilingual singles performed (until A red letter day)? I know they 'underpromoted' Bilingual but it does seem strange the first couple of singles in particular weren't on TOTP.
and then all three singles off Nightlife were performed.
A small voice of calm and reason.

User avatar
y3potential
Posts: 943
Joined: Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:21 pm
Contact:

Re: BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

#185 Post by y3potential »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Sun 12 Apr 2020, 10:47 pm
y3potential wrote:
Sun 12 Apr 2020, 11:07 am
Couldn't agree more..! In fact, when you think about it, there are quite a few singles that weren't performed on Top or the Pops apart from It's Alright.. Off the top of my head.. DJ Culture. Was It Worth It..? Streets. Jealousy. Go West. Yesterday WIWM. Before. Se A Vida E. Single..
Why weren't the Bilingual singles performed (until A red letter day)? I know they 'underpromoted' Bilingual but it does seem strange the first couple of singles in particular weren't on TOTP.
Yes. Don't want to stray off topic too much, but the under promotion of Bilingual has always been a bit of a head scratcher for me, particularly coming off the success of the Very era.. There was the O Zone special and an appearance on TFI Friday and that was it as I recall for the Bilingual campaign, apart from the Red Letter Day totp appearance..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

User avatar
ArtHist
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue 13 Jun 2017, 9:46 pm
Contact:

Re: BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

#186 Post by ArtHist »

Simon Mayo wearing an Introspective tee, June '89. Nicely combined with the shorts ; )
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 11.33.35.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 11.33.35.png (672.95 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 11.33.54.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 11.33.54.png (652.14 KiB) Viewed 1357 times


User avatar
Marie loves PSB
Posts: 1467
Joined: Sun 27 May 2007, 10:56 am
Contact:

Re: BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

#188 Post by Marie loves PSB »

ArtHist wrote:
Mon 13 Apr 2020, 11:36 am
Simon Mayo wearing an Introspective tee, June '89. Nicely combined with the shorts ; )
I don't know where but, I have see Simon Mayo in the past wearing the limited edition Introspective football shirt. :up:

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 8922
Joined: Sat 12 Apr 2008, 4:35 pm
Contact:

Re: BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

#189 Post by Patrick Bateman »

I kind of forget that they were still active in the charts in 1989 despite only releasing one single. Two of their better collaborations here. The previous episode is the one featuring both The Happy Mondays and The Stone Roses, a real harbinger of the 1990s, and with dance tracks appearing with increasing frequency, it's clear that the synthpop sound that dominated the charts throughout the 80s is in retreat. In retrospect they did pretty well to be a chart act for so long into the 1990s.

In Private*

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... s-07121989

Getting Away With It

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... s-14121989

*not the Elton version thankfully

User avatar
PopKid78
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu 08 Mar 2018, 10:33 am
Contact:

Re: BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

#190 Post by PopKid78 »

Both songs should’ve been Top 10. Probably releasing them at Christmas didn’t help. Electronic should’ve waited a month, and bagged themselves a Top 5 Hit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
y3potential
Posts: 943
Joined: Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:21 pm
Contact:

Re: BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

#191 Post by y3potential »

PopKid78 wrote:
Sun 19 Jul 2020, 3:03 pm
Both songs should’ve been Top 10. Probably releasing them at Christmas didn’t help. Electronic should’ve waited a month, and bagged themselves a Top 5 Hit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I couldn't agree more. In hindsight, releasing this in Jan/Feb or even March 1990 would have seen this being a much bigger hit than it was.. It's rightly considered a 'classic' now but it deserved to be a much bigger hit than it was at the time..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 8922
Joined: Sat 12 Apr 2008, 4:35 pm
Contact:

Re: BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

#192 Post by Patrick Bateman »

I quite like the idea that Getting Away With It was the last synthpop hit of the 1980s.

In Private got a place higher than You Surround Me. :wink: Sorry Pughie!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DarkElf and 35 guests