BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Drico One

Re: BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

#16 Post by Drico One » Fri 30 Mar 2018, 9:42 am

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Fri 30 Mar 2018, 9:12 am
Savile, DLT in the Yewtree camp. (Jonathon King never presented TOTP iirc) Mike Smith because he never signed th contract extension. Shame but I’m sure if some intern sat down in th editing machine for five mins they could edit out the presenter bit.
King presented the 1985 Christmas special. He also did a segment on the US music scene on TOTP from 1981, but I don't think any of this impacts us too much in terms of PSB.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

daveid

#17 Post by daveid » Fri 30 Mar 2018, 5:56 pm

I've been watching these from 1983 on but am only up to May 85 at the moment. It's like reliving it all as it happened. 85 feels like a breath of fresh air with all the Duran Culture Spandau Wham mafia taking a rest... I thought the reason there was loads missing was just Jim my Saveloy. Had no idea it was to do with Mike Smith.

y3potential

#18 Post by y3potential » Fri 30 Mar 2018, 6:27 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Fri 30 Mar 2018, 9:27 am
Part of the joy of watching them is to marvel at the sheer asininity, gaucheness and appalling fashion sense of Radio 1 DJs.

They will definitely be featured in The Story of 1986 mini-documentary which complements the repeats as they were trailed at the end of the last one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDMzgcnlmyM
Perhaps it's my age but I loved all those 'wacky' Radio 1 DJ's from the '70s and '80s who were perfectly lampooned by the grotesque Smashie and Nicey caricatures.. Not Saville of course but the likes of Steve Wright, Mike Read, Simon Bates, Janice Long, Gary Davies ect, all held a certain charm for me, mate..!!
Last edited by y3potential on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you know the difference between the two genders..?

Bucky Goldstein

#19 Post by Bucky Goldstein » Fri 30 Mar 2018, 9:21 pm

Just as an aside to this, anyone with even a passing interest in TOTP, or pop in general, should give the Chart Music podcast a listen...

https://chartmusiccouk.wordpress.com/

It's basically some battle-worn music jornos dissecting, at length, old Top of the Pops episodes. It's profane, insightful, scathing, celebratory and very entertaining. They've yet to cover a PSB episode (though their Blur remix has been given a passing nod of appreciation), but an appearance is bound to crop up soon....
"...Purchase or hire thirty-eight ripe Spongs. Wheel them home, and shoot them. Then simply bake them, and eat them once. The end."

Patrick Bateman

#20 Post by Patrick Bateman » Fri 30 Mar 2018, 9:30 pm

Bucky Goldstein wrote:
Fri 30 Mar 2018, 9:21 pm
Just as an aside to this, anyone with even a passing interest in TOTP, or pop in general, should give the Chart Music podcast a listen...

It's basically some battle-worn music jornos dissecting, at length, old Top of the Pops episodes. It's profane, insightful, scathing, celebratory and very entertaining. They've yet to cover a PSB episode (though their Blur remix has been given a passing nod of appreciation), but an appearance is bound to crop up soon....
Yes, it’s excellent value - and a new episode dropped today.

They did a 1987 episode when PSB were in the charts with What have I? Johnny Hates Jazz received a well-deserved kicking.

I don’t agree with their premise that everything post-Live Aid is crap though.

daveid

#21 Post by daveid » Sat 31 Mar 2018, 10:22 am

Bucky Goldstein wrote:
Fri 30 Mar 2018, 9:21 pm

Thanks for this. I'll check it out.

PopKid78

#22 Post by PopKid78 » Thu 02 Aug 2018, 8:20 pm

Got to say after watching these recent repeats of TOTP, the top 40 was terrible a round the time of West End Girls, this weeks episode’s top 40 was especially bad. I just know it’s gonna take all the will I have, for me not to kick my TV in, when I see what stopped Love Comes Quickly, from charting higher.

Old Soak

#23 Post by Old Soak » Thu 16 Aug 2018, 7:26 pm

These really are marvellous time capsules of each week they represent whether the music is good, bad or indifferent. From the frankly ridiculous fashions to the Smashy and Nicey presenting with a huge number of novelty records you can't believe were hits, through the sublime performances to the frankly ridiculous it's an essential record that today's generation are sadly missing. No matter how rubbish the music on offer it's required watching and I record the lot. For the Saville et al shows watch TOTP2 or the occasional review of the year where presenters are edited out. This allows us to see those performances otherwise off limits due to presenter indiscretion.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Scottydog

#24 Post by Scottydog » Fri 17 Aug 2018, 8:27 am

PopKid78 wrote:
Thu 02 Aug 2018, 8:20 pm
Got to say after watching these recent repeats of TOTP, the top 40 was terrible a round the time of West End Girls, this weeks episode’s top 40 was especially bad. I just know it’s gonna take all the will I have, for me not to kick my TV in, when I see what stopped Love Comes Quickly, from charting higher.
I couldn’t agree more. This period of the 80s was dire and hasn’t got any better with time. It turned me off chart music for years. Pet Shop Boys were a breath of fresh air!

Patrick Bateman

#25 Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu 23 Aug 2018, 9:01 pm

Love Comes Quickly is on next week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bhmyyh

tucky101

#26 Post by tucky101 » Thu 30 Aug 2018, 9:31 pm

Just watched it, Chris hadn’t quite mastered the art of standing still while playing the keyboards at this point.

Also a few BOY caps seen in the audience

Patrick Bateman

#27 Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu 30 Aug 2018, 9:36 pm

tucky101 wrote:
Thu 30 Aug 2018, 9:31 pm
Just watched it, Chris hadn’t quite mastered the art of standing still while playing the keyboards at this point.
Just wait till the next single's appearance..... :lol:

canveyboy

#28 Post by canveyboy » Fri 31 Aug 2018, 9:58 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Thu 30 Aug 2018, 9:36 pm
tucky101 wrote:
I absolutely LOVE that performance of Opportunities :D
Its taken me all of my life to find you

Flaffer

#29 Post by Flaffer » Fri 31 Aug 2018, 12:36 pm

canveyboy wrote:
Fri 31 Aug 2018, 9:58 am
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Thu 30 Aug 2018, 9:36 pm
tucky101 wrote:
I absolutely LOVE that performance of Opportunities :D
I love the fact he drops the drumstick and then chucks the other one to make it look like it wasn't an accident
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

tucky101

#30 Post by tucky101 » Fri 31 Aug 2018, 3:29 pm

Hopefully the performance of opportunities doesn’t fall foul of the mike smith rule?