BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
PopKid78

BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

#1 Post by PopKid78 » Wed 28 Mar 2018, 3:14 pm

Since 2011 BBC4 has been airing Top of the Pops episodes, in chronological order from 1976 onwards. This week the episode originally aired on 08 August 1985 will be shown, which means PSB'S first appearence from November 1985 is just around the corner, and from that point they will be making regular appearances for some time. Due to various reasons the BBC haven't been able to show every episode, so it has been known that the repeats sometimes jump a few weeks. I'm bringing this to everyone's attention, because these episodes will be with us before we know it, so keep a look out.

Drico One

Re: BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

#2 Post by Drico One » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 8:42 pm

Yeah, I've been waiting for these episodes for a while, if only for the "context" value of watching them as part of the pop world of the time. I'm sure Mike Smith will ensure, from the grave, that some PSB appearances do not make the cut and our old friend Jonathan King will probably cost us a few more, so the Ultimate DVD is really proving its worth now as an historical record of their BBC performances.

Neil, the old pop archivist, is dead right though: it's somehow sad that the current generation will have little to no record of their idols now that TOTP and the like are no more. Other than what's on their smartphones, of course.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Blaahh

#3 Post by Blaahh » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 8:43 pm

Those reasons being Jimmy Saville, Dave Lee Travis and Mike Smith...

stevebr20012

#4 Post by stevebr20012 » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 9:17 pm

This is my favourite programme of the week - great nostalgia blast and just about to reach the years where I spent all my money on music. It's a crying shame that it was scrapped.

PopKid78

#5 Post by PopKid78 » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 10:33 pm

Drico One wrote:
Thu 29 Mar 2018, 8:42 pm
Yeah, I've been waiting for these episodes for a while, if only for the "context" value of watching them as part of the pop world of the time. I'm sure Mike Smith will ensure, from the grave, that some PSB appearances do not make the cut and our old friend Jonathan King will probably cost us a few more, so the Ultimate DVD is really proving its worth now as an historical record of their BBC performances

Drico.
The Episode with West End Girls first week at Number one is presented by Mike Smith, which is annoying. I don’t know why the BBC don’t edit the Presenting part out of these episodes, and get Mike Read and Janice Long to do voiceovers to introduce the acts and for the chart rundown.

y3potential

#6 Post by y3potential » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 11:16 pm

I too have been looking forward to these. Hopefully someone can record them... I understand the Jonathan King and Saville shows will never get aired but I don't understand the Mike Smith relevance, Drico. He was one of the good guys, wasn't he..??
Do you know the difference between the two genders..?

canveyboy

#7 Post by canveyboy » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 11:32 pm

Unfortunately none of their performances of West End girls will be shown (3 separate performances) because in each of the episodes Mike Smith was co-presenting and therefore will not be broadcast. Likewise the debut performance of Always on my mind and the Xmas 87 edition.

Bloody Mike Smith!
Its taken me all of my life to find you

Pod

#8 Post by Pod » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 11:48 pm

y3potential wrote:
Thu 29 Mar 2018, 11:16 pm
I too have been looking forward to these. Hopefully someone can record them... I understand the Jonathan King and Saville shows will never get aired but I don't understand the Mike Smith relevance, Drico. He was one of the good guys, wasn't he..??
The official line is this:

“While he was alive, Mike Smith decided not to sign the licence extension that would allow the BBC to repeat the Top of the Pops episodes that he presented. Since his passing, the BBC is continuing to respect his wishes.”
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

popfreak

#9 Post by popfreak » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 11:49 pm

While he was alive, Mike Smith decided not to sign the licence extension that would allow the BBC to repeat the Top of the Pops episodes that he presented. Since his passing, the BBC is continuing to respect his wishes.

Drico One

#10 Post by Drico One » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 11:51 pm

y3potential wrote:
At best he was very precious. Or misunderstood.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Pod

#11 Post by Pod » Fri 30 Mar 2018, 1:30 am

Drico One wrote:
Thu 29 Mar 2018, 11:51 pm
y3potential wrote:
At best he was very precious. Or misunderstood.

Drico.
Possibly both...
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

y3potential

#12 Post by y3potential » Fri 30 Mar 2018, 8:15 am

Pod wrote:
Thu 29 Mar 2018, 11:48 pm
y3potential wrote:
The official line is this:

“While he was alive, Mike Smith decided not to sign the licence extension that would allow the BBC to repeat the Top of the Pops episodes that he presented. Since his passing, the BBC is continuing to respect his wishes.”
Thanks for explaining that. I wasn't aware.. There will be a few we can look forward to that are not on the Ultimate DVD. The alternate Opportunities with Neil in the white gloves and So Hard for example..
Do you know the difference between the two genders..?

tottenhammattspurs

#13 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Fri 30 Mar 2018, 9:12 am

Savile, DLT in the Yewtree camp. (Jonathon King never presented TOTP iirc) Mike Smith because he never signed th contract extension. Shame but I’m sure if some intern sat down in th editing machine for five mins they could edit out the presenter bit.
is is and isnt isnt

PopKid78

#14 Post by PopKid78 » Fri 30 Mar 2018, 9:21 am

Episodes with Mike Smith go up to 1988, just as the imperial phase is ending, which is bloody typical!

Patrick Bateman

#15 Post by Patrick Bateman » Fri 30 Mar 2018, 9:27 am

Part of the joy of watching them is to marvel at the sheer asininity, gaucheness and appalling fashion sense of Radio 1 DJs.

They will definitely be featured in The Story of 1986 mini-documentary which complements the repeats as they were trailed at the end of the last one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDMzgcnlmyM