Interesting how PSB are not "connected" by "Alternative Music", according to Wired Magazine

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
psbfannyc

Interesting how PSB are not "connected" by "Alternative Music", according to Wired Magazine

#1 Post by psbfannyc »

This post should cause some debate...on the "Alternative" diagram...I see Human League and Saint Etienne...but no PSB

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/lets-obse ... nsiteshare

Of course we know with "Electronic" music...it's a different story....but can anyone spot PSB on the "Electronic" diagram?

https://www.wired.com/2015/10/intricate ... nic-music/
Attachments
Dorothy_104-Electric-Love_Full-High.jpg
Dorothy_104-Electric-Love_Full-High.jpg (231.54 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
Dorothy-0113-Alternative-Love-72dpi-Master-High.jpg
Dorothy-0113-Alternative-Love-72dpi-Master-High.jpg (749.68 KiB) Viewed 1752 times

spacewalker

Re: Interesting how PSB are not "connected" by "Alternative Music", according to Wired Magazine

#3 Post by spacewalker »

I'm not sure Pet Shop Boys should be on the Alternative diagram, though they certainly have influenced some of the alternative bands like Suede.

The Human League were quite an alternative band at the dawn of their career. Dunno about Saint Etienne, never listened to them properly, but they have to be indie, I suppose?..

joeythecat

Re: Interesting how PSB are not "connected" by "Alternative Music", according to Wired Magazine

#4 Post by joeythecat »

Just looks like an ignorant chart to me. If you only get your musical education from visiting the vinyl racks at Urban Outfitters, you may come up with something like that. Funny how they would include Saint Etienne, who were influenced by PSB but omit them. Even David Bowie just gets a little courtesy blurb to the left, arguably he influenced Blur much more than The Smiths. I did not see Duran Duran, but how could you include them without including Japan or David Sylvian. Did Devo even make the list? No U2, really? Silliness.