Could we get Disco remasters with FL discs?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
retrofuturist

Could we get Disco remasters with FL discs?

#1 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Given the surprise chart success of the recent "Catalogue" releases, do you think it's possible we could get the Disco series remastered, with Further Listening bonus discs?

In the case of Disco re-issues, the Further Listening disc(s) could contain mixes from that era. Given there's four Disco albums, spaced out reasonably consistently over the Parlophone years, it would be easy enough to cluster the remixes into four eras.

What are your thoughts?

Is it likely? Is it an ideal way to make good (but not exploitative) use of the back catalogue?...

Retro. :)

Bulldog

Re: Could we get Disco remasters with FL discs?

#2 Post by Bulldog »

They mainly feature other people's remixes, so they would go against the FL logic. I'd rather see a Disco 5 instead.

One of the crowd

#3 Post by One of the crowd »

I dont see why not in the same way there could be a Battleship Potemkin special and TMIT one.

If Parlophone / Warner etc want to milk the back catalogue then why not remaster the Disco series with a bonus disc/s of extra mixes.

For example Disco FL...

01. Opportunities (Dub for Money)
02. West End Girls (Shep Mastermix)
03. West End Girls (West end dub)
04. West End Girls (10" Mix)
05. Love Comes Quickly (Shep Dub)
06. Suburbia (Arthur Baker Club)
07. Suburbia (Arthur Baker Dub)
08. Paninaro (Ian Levine Mix)

Probably space for couple of unreleased mixes in the vaults
Fishing

tottenhammattspurs

#4 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Who the hell would buy Disco 2 again though???????

(ironically their highest charting of the the Disco series...)
is is and isnt isnt

leesmapman

#5 Post by leesmapman »

Disco 3 is almost entirely divided over the FL discs of Nightlife and Release.

daveid

#6 Post by daveid »

Sorry but isn't this a rather pointless thread?

You know they're not going to do Disco FLs and it's obvious why. Disco 1, 3 and 4 have already been canibalised for the main FLs. There are only about three tracks from D3 that weren't put on Nightlife and Release and they'd hardly have Disco tracks on the FL of the main albums AND on the first disc of an expanded Disco album. As for Disco number 2 any re-release of that should have a new running time of 00:00 minutes...

Marie loves PSB

#7 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Bulldog wrote: Sat 19 Aug 2017, 8:18 am I'd rather see a Disco 5 instead.
I'm surprised we haven't seen one! :)

psbfannyc

#8 Post by psbfannyc »

We need Disco 5...it's time

telys

#9 Post by telys »

psbfannyc wrote: Sat 19 Aug 2017, 3:37 pm We need Disco 5...it's time
Well basically Yes etc bonus disc was Disco 5 and Electric was Disco 6 expanded into a proper album.
To me FundamentalISM is more Disco 4 than Disco 4 was

So we are really waiting for Disco 7
----
You've got me all wrong

PETHEAD72

#10 Post by PETHEAD72 »

They should have stopped at DISCO,an absolute classic
You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

Oi!...got far to go have you?!... :lol:

One of the crowd

#11 Post by One of the crowd »

telys wrote: Sat 19 Aug 2017, 5:43 pm
psbfannyc wrote: Sat 19 Aug 2017, 3:37 pm We need Disco 5...it's time
Well basically Yes etc bonus disc was Disco 5 and Electric was Disco 6 expanded into a proper album.
To me FundamentalISM is more Disco 4 than Disco 4 was

So we are really waiting for Disco 7
You could argue that Mix from PopArtMix could be an addition to the Disco series
Fishing

Zog

#12 Post by Zog »

The first "Disco": yes, 100% yes.

I think it's the one huge exception to all of Disco-series of releases. Yes, we know that it's not officially considered an album. But for many of the more casual PSB fans (and the general public), the first four major PSB releases (aside from singles) were:

1) Please
2) Disco
3) Actually
4) Introspective

It is such a very important early PSB release. The CD definitely needs to be remastered!!! Without belabouring the obvious, ALL of "Disco's" tracks are fantastic.

Would anyone seriously not want these tracks (and release) to be remastered?

-Zog
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

telys

#13 Post by telys »

Zog wrote: Sat 19 Aug 2017, 6:41 pm The first "Disco": yes, 100% yes.

I think it's the one huge exception to all of Disco-series of releases. Yes, we know that it's not officially considered an album. But for many of the more casual PSB fans (and the general public), the first four major PSB releases (aside from singles) were:

1) Please
2) Disco
3) Actually
4) Introspective

It is such a very important early PSB release. The CD definitely needs to be remastered!!! Without belabouring the obvious, ALL of "Disco's" tracks are fantastic.

Would anyone seriously not want these tracks (and release) to be remastered?

-Zog
As I said before Disco if their purest concept album "Che Guevara to a disco beat", highly political songs in extended mixes. It's PSB most perfect, coherent album.
Remember Suburbia is a single from Disco not from Please.

I also remember being really intrigued by the fact that half of the songs had 1985 as publishing year (I bought Disco before Please). It's like a prequel to Please.
----
You've got me all wrong

Cdrodkey

#14 Post by Cdrodkey »

I would rather see a Disco 5.

Maybe a little off topic....

I think I have said this before, but I have long thought they should put out a Relentless 2 with long mixes of songs or elements from Relentless or mixed in with unfinished or unrealized songs. A series of officially released remix albums from an album never "properly" released. Or do it once with a good remaster of Relentless. I think most of us would by a proper release of Relentless or get excited about something like this--and I imagine the press angle of the "lost PSB record" from the very end of last breath of the imperial phase would be worthwhile.

And it wouldn't feel like milking the fans too much. I think most of us would welcome something like that--revisiting and maybe even reinventing something from the canon. I don't know if it would be practical but there could be a hit that would actually impact the dance floor if released the right way--and I'm not sure it would be One Thing Leads to Another, which is a phenomenally interesting track. And I think Relentless isn't too far off the mark of what we've been seeing with Electric and Super--dancier stuff with understated or sparse lyrics.

telys

#15 Post by telys »

Cdrodkey wrote: Sat 19 Aug 2017, 7:09 pm I would rather see a Disco 5.

Maybe a little off topic....

I think I have said this before, but I have long thought they should put out a Relentless 2 with long mixes of songs or elements from Relentless or mixed in with unfinished or unrealized songs. A series of officially released remix albums from an album never "properly" released. Or do it once with a good remaster of Relentless. I think most of us would by a proper release of Relentless or get excited about something like this--and I imagine the press angle of the "lost PSB record" from the very end of last breath of the imperial phase would be worthwhile.

And it wouldn't feel like milking the fans too much. I think most of us would welcome something like that--revisiting and maybe even reinventing something from the canon. I don't know if it would be practical but there could be a hit that would actually impact the dance floor if released the right way--and I'm not sure it would be One Thing Leads to Another, which is a phenomenally interesting track. And I think Relentless isn't too far off the mark of what we've been seeing with Electric and Super--dancier stuff with understated or sparse lyrics.
Electric is Relentless. Neil said in the Alternative that they maybe should have released Relentless fleshed out with Euroboy and Some Speculation. It would have been Electric 1, Disco 3 could have been Electric 2 and Electric is really Electric 3.
----
You've got me all wrong