Are they skint?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
andrewthomas100

Are they skint?

#1 Post by andrewthomas100 »

Hi,
I'm just wondering why the boys never give the impression of having much cash. And they seem to be doing these endless festival tours like there's big bills to pay. It seems like they should have more money. Does anybody know anything?

Disco.

Re: Are they skint?

#2 Post by Disco. »

Of course not !

Disco.

#3 Post by Disco. »

They have plenty of money.

Harry

#4 Post by Harry »

I'm pretty sure they are far from skint and could pack it in and retire very comfortably if they wanted to. They've always pushed themselves to do things that are good but not necessarily profitable (for example the Savoy residency or continuing the Nightlife tour after the promoter went bust).

These days the festivals are their highest-paying work and I think they do them to pay for the less mainstream bits and bobs. And if you enjoy travelling and performing, why not earn the big bucks available?
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

Zog

#5 Post by Zog »

No

-Zog
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

andrewthomas100

#6 Post by andrewthomas100 »

I suppose so. I guess they must enjoy the festivals. It just seems like hard work, harder than it should be when you've sold 50 million albums.
I dunno, I've just always felt that money has been an issue with them.

Greendrake

#7 Post by Greendrake »

andrewthomas100 wrote: Tue 01 Aug 2017, 12:28 am I dunno, I've just always felt that money has been an issue with them.
Well they do methodically care about and count money, that's for sure.

Sandy Shaw

#8 Post by Sandy Shaw »

As well as paying themselves, they have others on their payroll and invest heavily in their own career ( hiring top producers etc).They are far from skint though!
What's for supper?

glennjridge

#9 Post by glennjridge »

Oh I am sure they are multi-millionaires. they dont seem to me to be the type of guys who would make bad business decisions. as neil said," never use your own money".

also....their out put does not seem to be of a band thats having financial problems. if anything...they act like a band that is doing things strictly because they can do whatever they want...any little pet project. thats not the MO of a band thats having problems.
they tour and do it so much I suspect more because they love the adulation and having a reason to write songs so as to have a pretext to tour. but I seriously doubt they tour for the money.

NikacP0kac

#10 Post by NikacP0kac »

After seeing the title, I thought nickname opened this thread...but even nickname asks better questions. :mrgreen:

The money today is probably 90% in touring, so I think that's how the Boys finance their future projects etc. and why they keep taking dthese festival gigs on (probably more lucrative than having a show on their own).

I, for one, hope the sizeable chunk of money they earn from touring goes into making the next record spectacularly different and grandiose in comparison with the sort-of low-budget (them being purely electronic, which certainly cut recording costs they had for either Bilingual or Elysium) X2 albums.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Pod

#11 Post by Pod »

Not skint, but frugal.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Marie loves PSB

#12 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Pod wrote: Tue 01 Aug 2017, 8:38 am Not skint, but frugal.
Yes, I can see them budgeting for everything lol... I think they are making the most of it with touring etc.... I don't blame them to be honest!

andrewthomas100

#13 Post by andrewthomas100 »

Like all music acts, income from CD sales must have taken a big hit over the last ten years. If you're Sting and you've got 50 million quid in the bank then you don't notice it, but I suspect it was a huge shock for most pop acts. I just don't get how anyone can make money from Spotify, unless you're Ed Sheehan. "Skint" was perhaps overstating it, though. However, I suspect they're not as wealthy as might be expected.

Disco.

#14 Post by Disco. »

Multi millionaires.

andrewthomas100

#15 Post by andrewthomas100 »

Has been discussed in detail previously:
viewtopic.php?t=28566&start=30