The Re-issues Chart Watch Thread!

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
retrofuturist

Re: The Re-issues Chart Watch Thread!

#76 Post by retrofuturist » Sun 29 Oct 2017, 11:41 pm

Greetings,

Another factor to consider here is that there will be people (like me!) who bought the vinyl re-issues of Nightlife, Release and Fundamental, as the original issues of these are expensive and too hard to find.

Yes and Elysium already had recent and not too expensive vinyl pressings (in fact, the Elysium one had a bonus record of instrumentals that the new one doesn't have!) which co-incided nicely with the "vinyl revival". As such, people (like me!) who already have these albums on vinyl are not likely to bother with the vinyl remasters this time around, since for most people vinyl is a "nice to have", rather than their primary listening format.

Similarly, when the first set of albums are re-issued, I'll probably get all the remastered CDs, but will only bother with the LPs for the ones that are rare, that I don't yet have (i.e. Very and Bilingual). It would be nice to see Discography and Alternative included in this vinyl reissue frenzy, but they seem likely to be omitted.

Retro. :)

minimal

#77 Post by minimal » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:24 am

good points, retro. would love to have alternative back on vinyl. a box set of all disco records would be ace, too.

speaking of the vinyls, it's a bit sad how they treat their back catalogue/ the reissues. it would have been nice to have a limited run/ amount of coloured vinyls for each record as pretty much every band does nowadays. also, there is no download card included which is a must if the cds aren't part of the set. but then again old neil who is of the opinion that youtube destroys the market for concert dvds (yawn) probably equally thinks that people will stop buying the cds in case a download opportunity is given. but then again neil also thinks that music videos aren't being watched these days despite the fact that people are consuming them nonstop. what we get is no videos at all or uninspired material whereas some art student would do something worth watching for probably a third of the costs 20 something assessed,

whatever. it feels like some things are just going wrong in the psb universe. best for them would be to get back to a proper label like mute who'd equip them with financial, coordinal and strategical support. hopefully, they'll push themselves out of that terribly boring comfort zone they're bathing in for years now: price creating the record and live sound for them, es devlin curating repetitive shows we've all seen before and farrow designing white art with geometrical figures. i miss the creativity.

sorry, i'm drifting apart.

m+

Bulldog

#78 Post by Bulldog » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:27 am

minimal wrote:
Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:24 am
whatever. it feels like some things are just going wrong in the psb universe. best for them would be to get back to a proper label like mute who'd equip them with financial, coordinal and strategical support. hopefully, they'll push themselves out of that terribly boring comfort zone they're bathing in for years now: price creating the record and live sound for them, es devlin curating repetitive shows we've all seen before and farrow designing white art with geometrical figures. i miss the creativity.

m+
My feelings too. I got under the slight impression that leaving Parlophone wasn't quite the wise move we were expecting in terms of creative push. They've turned a bit into AC Milan: Electric was quite a positive choc, but its effects didn't seem to last and routine crept in much more quickly than expected...
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

Disco.

#79 Post by Disco. » Tue 31 Oct 2017, 7:23 pm

Its a Sin is #200 on I-Tunes U.K

alig

#80 Post by alig » Tue 31 Oct 2017, 7:34 pm

minimal wrote:
good points, retro. would love to have alternative back on vinyl. a box set of all disco records would be ace, too.

speaking of the vinyls, it's a bit sad how they treat their back catalogue/ the reissues. it would have been nice to have a limited run/ amount of coloured vinyls for each record as pretty much every band does nowadays. also, there is no download card included which is a must if the cds aren't part of the set. but then again old neil who is of the opinion that youtube destroys the market for concert dvds (yawn) probably equally thinks that people will stop buying the cds in case a download opportunity is given. but then again neil also thinks that music videos aren't being watched these days despite the fact that people are consuming them nonstop. what we get is no videos at all or uninspired material whereas some art student would do something worth watching for probably a third of the costs 20 something assessed,

m+
No, why should they? They're too old to reclaim their imperial phase. No matter what videos they make, nobody will be watching them. Thus, why waste money and time on something that won't make any difference?
"John 3:16."

East End Bhoy

#81 Post by East End Bhoy » Tue 31 Oct 2017, 7:46 pm

minimal wrote:

m+

I def dont agree with this. The Boys' output is great, tbh most times I'd rather listen to the recent albums than the older stuff. Be thankfull they are still doing it!
1991-Glasgow, 1999-Glasgow, 2002-Edinburgh, 2006-Newcastle, 2007-Manchester, 2009-Manchester, 2009-Glasgow, 2014-Glasgow, 2016-London, 2017-Glasgow

minimal

#82 Post by minimal » Wed 01 Nov 2017, 2:25 pm

alig wrote:
Tue 31 Oct 2017, 7:34 pm

No, why should they? They're too old to reclaim their imperial phase. No matter what videos they make, nobody will be watching them. Thus, why waste money and time on something that won't make any difference?
How come Love etc. does have 12m views then? Quality indeed does make a difference.

m+

alig

#83 Post by alig » Thu 02 Nov 2017, 9:02 pm

minimal wrote:
Wed 01 Nov 2017, 2:25 pm
alig wrote:

How come Love etc. does have 12m views then? Quality indeed does make a difference.

m+
Still, this was ages ago and how many copies did it help shift? Also, it's not like they never ever put out a decent video. "Axis" is pretty impressive.
"John 3:16."

Sithblade

Re: RE: Re: The Re-issues Chart Watch Thread!

#84 Post by Sithblade » Thu 02 Nov 2017, 10:25 pm

tottenhammattspurs wrote:I fit exactly into that group of 2000 Image
Snap, turn 45 this year! Who'd have thought that 30 years ago the 15 year old me buying Disco, It's a Sin 12", Actually would be still purchasing PSB albums in 2017.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

minimal

#85 Post by minimal » Thu 02 Nov 2017, 11:13 pm

alig wrote:
Thu 02 Nov 2017, 9:02 pm
minimal wrote:
alig wrote:

m+
Still, this was ages ago and how many copies did it help shift?
Doesn't matter as 12m views generate cash PSB profit from.

m+

rollo

#86 Post by rollo » Sun 05 Nov 2017, 6:59 pm

Continuing from this post:

Yes
* UK Albums: 37
* UK Physical Albums: 16
* UK Vinyl Albums: 24
* UK Album Sales: 19
* Scottish Albums: 27
* German Albums: 64
* Belgian Albums - Flanders: 129
* Belgian Albums - Wallonia: 56
* US Dance/Electronic Albums: 23

Elysium
* UK Albums: 44
* UK Physical Albums: 18
* UK Vinyl Albums: 34
* UK Album Sales: 24
* Scottish Albums: 33
* German Albums: 78
* Belgian Albums - Flanders: 145
* Belgian Albums - Wallonia: 148
* US Dance/Electronic Albums: -
Check out my new music blog...
http://musicforstowaways.wordpress.com/

rollo

#87 Post by rollo » Sat 10 Mar 2018, 6:16 pm

And continuing for the latest set:

Please
* UK Albums: 65
* UK Record Store: -
* UK Physical Albums: 27
* UK Vinyl Albums: 11
* UK Album Sales: 31
* Scottish Albums: 35
* German Albums: 61
* Belgian Albums - Flanders: -
* Belgian Albums - Wallonia: -

Actually
* UK Albums: 59
* UK Record Store: 33
* UK Physical Albums: 26
* UK Vinyl Albums: 8
* UK Album Sales: 29
* Scottish Albums: 41
* German Albums: 56

Introspective
* UK Albums: 73
* UK Record Store: 36
* UK Physical Albums: 30
* UK Vinyl Albums: 12
* UK Album Sales: 32
* UK Dance Albums: 10
* Scottish Albums: 33
* German Albums: 76

Cawdor

#88 Post by Cawdor » Sat 10 Mar 2018, 6:58 pm

minimal wrote:
alig wrote:

m+
12m views sounds like a lot of money, but based on the average You Tube royalty of 0.0006 per view, that's just $7200 generated. I'm sure the video cost vastly more than that. And that royalty payment may be an overgenerous estimate - this artist got $64.60 for a million views.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/0 ... royalties/

Of course, some of those views will have translated into physical music sales or concert tickets, but it's impossible to see music videos as anything other than huge loss leaders for the vast majority of artists. PSB are savvy businessmen: I'm sure they will have taken all of these things into account before deciding what promotional material, if any, they invest in.

rollo

#89 Post by rollo » Sun 23 Sep 2018, 5:47 am

Presumably the final post in this "exciting" series!

Behaviour
* UK Albums: 63
* UK Physical Albums: 20
* UK Vinyl Albums: 16
* UK Album Sales: 24
* Scottish Albums: 36
* German Albums: 92

Very
* UK Albums: 73
* UK Physical Albums: 23
* UK Vinyl Albums: 15
* UK Album Sales: 29
* Scottish Albums: 43
* German Albums: 84

Bilingual
* UK Albums: 87
* UK Physical Albums: 24
* UK Vinyl Albums: 22
* UK Album Sales: 30
* Scottish Albums: 46
* German Albums: 94

retrofuturist

#90 Post by retrofuturist » Mon 24 Sep 2018, 5:10 am

Thanks for the data Rollo. I must admit that I'm a bit surprised to see more vinyl sales of Behaviour than of Bilingual, on account of their relative scarcity up until this point.