The Re-issues Chart Watch Thread!

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
daveid

Re: The Re-issues Chart Watch Thread!

#31 Post by daveid » Fri 04 Aug 2017, 7:16 pm

minimal wrote:
Fri 04 Aug 2017, 6:41 pm
Pretty much reflects the quality of the records imho. Nightlife has always been a great cohesive (themed) album (I prefer them being 'dark') and has aged pretty well in spite of it being slagged off here by most people as it seems. Release introduced a new era and period and marked the change in direction long overdue at its particular point in time. Also, it produced an interesting picuture of the Pet Shop Boys though it's been all strategy, of course. And it's got such a warm sound and songs like Always, I didn't get..., Sexy Northerner, as well as the incredibly genious Between Two Islands. It's the era where they produced some of their greatest b-sides. The quality is top notch (not having D3 included). Fundamental, on the other hand, already sounded terribly dated the moment it hit the street. Sure, there's few great songs on it as the songwriting's great (and I like Neil exploring political issues), but overall it's my least-favourite PSB record and I hardly manage to sit through the whole experience. It lacks greatness. You pretty much hear too many people and the big ego of TH involved. It's not 'their' record. And God knows what made them include the cringeworthy DW ballad on Fundamental. Sorry, but I'm not a fan. Doesn't matter, though. The press liked it, the majority of the fans seem to like it and it probably was accompanied by the last classic PSB tour concept as they then really moved on and learned how to put on an entertaining show. So ultimately everything's fine.

m+
I think most people would disagree. Fundamental is better than Nightlife and Release put together. Both Nightlife and Release are front loaded with 3 or 4 great songs and then the rot sets in. Fundy is top notch all the way through.

Disco.

#32 Post by Disco. » Fri 04 Aug 2017, 7:35 pm

They obviously love that DW song. Chris particularly.

drunk14

#33 Post by drunk14 » Fri 04 Aug 2017, 7:49 pm

It's true... despite the dreadful, but still somehow enjoyable in very specific conditions, i.e. when you've just heard you got a cancer, "Numb". The older they are the more hit-and-miss is their ability of writing great ballads or performing them. There is no other PSB album where I can so easily choose such an obvious black sheep. The panache of ordinariness. The omission of "Numb" preserves a spotless record. I dare to say it's even more coherent and logically-driven than "Behaviour", but of course not as magnificent as a full work. I will try re-listen to "Fundamental" with "Dancing in the Dusk" instead of "Numn" and perhaps its score on Rate Your Music will raise to 5/5 :)
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

Undertaker

#34 Post by Undertaker » Fri 04 Aug 2017, 8:22 pm

Good result really because this stuff doesnt usually do anything. The first 6 albums didnt even go top 100. Its a pretty decent amount of cash to splash out as well for cd's.

I suspect the difference with the sales between the 3, is probably due to a lot more people already owning Fundamental. I'm sure it sold twice as much as the other two.

drunk14

#35 Post by drunk14 » Fri 04 Aug 2017, 8:45 pm

Undertaker wrote:
Fri 04 Aug 2017, 8:22 pm
I suspect the difference with the sales between the 3, is probably due to a lot more people already owning Fundamental. I'm sure it sold twice as much as the other two.
I'm sure it didn't. Since 1993 every PSB album sold worse than previous until "Yes" was brought out (it sold better than "Fundamental", but I don't remember how it stacks up against "Release"). You can easily trace sales figures on the Internet (ukmix forum etc.)
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

Undertaker

#36 Post by Undertaker » Fri 04 Aug 2017, 9:01 pm

Yeah possibly.

The estimated sales in the U.K for the original albums are ;-

Nightlife - 130,000 (Europe - 480,000)
Release - Nothing available (Europe 310,000)
Fundamental - 100,000 (Europe 280,000)

However, im pretty sure first week sales were something like ;-

Nightlife - 17,000
Release - 17,000
Fundamental - 28,000

*edit*
These are the actual figures

17,038 'Nightlife' (#7-October 1999).
18,008 'Release' (#7-April 2002).
26,492 'Fundamental' (#5-May 2006).

Not sure if it was Yes or Fundamental that is short of about 2,000 sales.

Which makes me think the Fundamental figures overall might not be correct, or it needs updating

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20682&p=360706&hili ... RY#p360706

Disco.

#37 Post by Disco. » Fri 04 Aug 2017, 9:11 pm

The worldwide album sales from this french guy, are only estimates, not in any way official. He claimed that Actually was a bigger seller than Introspective. Neil has stated several times that Introspective is their best selling album. It's even in the booklet to The Further Listening Cd of "Introspective " When this guy was confronted with that, he said that Neil didn't know what he was talking about, because as an artist he was clearly not in the know of such things !.......

Disco.

#38 Post by Disco. » Fri 04 Aug 2017, 9:13 pm

Yes, was short of a bit more than 2,000 sales. Parlophone released it to early on i-Tunes.

Danger

#39 Post by Danger » Fri 04 Aug 2017, 9:23 pm

Disco. wrote:
Fri 04 Aug 2017, 5:23 pm
Official U.K Album Chart
Nightlife 29
Release 30
Fundamental 33
Totally surprising for me above all considering how low their first reissues charted

JSDOUVRES

#40 Post by JSDOUVRES » Fri 04 Aug 2017, 10:17 pm

Excellent chart results, I got the Lp's from HMV for the prints (which are fab!) as well as to get the sales to go towards the charts.
The way it works with streaming and actual physical sales is quite mystifying really but great they have sold a good amount of these. Wonder if there are any numbers that don't include physical sales available? Sort of tried looking but not easy!

Nervously

#41 Post by Nervously » Sat 05 Aug 2017, 7:40 am

I guess "Fundamental" sold (a bit) less because there was only one extra disc to drool over.

Tom Angel

#42 Post by Tom Angel » Sat 05 Aug 2017, 8:22 am

minimal wrote:
Fri 04 Aug 2017, 6:41 pm
Pretty much reflects the quality of the records imho. Nightlife has always been a great cohesive (themed) album (I prefer them being 'dark') and has aged pretty well in spite of it being slagged off here by most people as it seems. Release introduced a new era and period and marked the change in direction long overdue at its particular point in time. Also, it produced an interesting picuture of the Pet Shop Boys though it's been all strategy, of course. And it's got such a warm sound and songs like Always, I didn't get..., Sexy Northerner, as well as the incredibly genious Between Two Islands. It's the era where they produced some of their greatest b-sides. The quality is top notch (not having D3 included). Fundamental, on the other hand, already sounded terribly dated the moment it hit the street. Sure, there's few great songs on it as the songwriting's great (and I like Neil exploring political issues), but overall it's my least-favourite PSB record and I hardly manage to sit through the whole experience. It lacks greatness. You pretty much hear too many people and the big ego of TH involved. It's not 'their' record. And God knows what made them include the cringeworthy DW ballad on Fundamental. Sorry, but I'm not a fan. Doesn't matter, though. The press liked it, the majority of the fans seem to like it and it probably was accompanied by the last classic PSB tour concept as they then really moved on and learned how to put on an entertaining show. So ultimately everything's fine.

m+
I could not agree more on the warm sound of release and it's a crime that Between Two Islands didn't make the record instead of the night I fell in love. and I didn't get... It IS the era where they produced some of their greatest b-sides

I presume that liking PSB dark you like Psychological - as it's the finest electronica drenched in paranoia, and a ghostly vocal from Neil. That and Minimal are perfection to me. And I love the simplicity of lyrics and the amazing string arrangement on Numb. It's far better to my ears than the underwritten and rather strained The Only one, and the tiresome Footsteps.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Roundhead General

#43 Post by Roundhead General » Sat 05 Aug 2017, 8:33 am

I agree about the single disc being a factor . I guess also some people who maybe couldn't afford to buy all 3 in the first week might buy them chronologically so thats why they are in the order they are. Do the vinyl versions count towards those sales figures with them not having the further listening bonus content?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For in a secret life I was a roundhead general

daveid

#44 Post by daveid » Sat 05 Aug 2017, 10:40 am

Would it also be fair to say they are more popular now - or at least more highly respected - than they were in 2001? Back then they were in the nadir of their career but they've had a slew of great albums since. Actually it is frightening to think that more time has passed since the first reissues and now than between West End girls and then!
😲

Pod

#45 Post by Pod » Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:24 pm

Near enough bought in equal measure. No surprise there...
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.