Live versions of songs as studio releases

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
telys

Re: Live versions of songs as studio releases

#46 Post by telys » Fri 21 Apr 2017, 7:30 pm

Harry wrote:
Fri 21 Apr 2017, 7:00 pm
Those of you who attended the Nightlife tour, how well does the Montage concert film reflect how it sounded live? Was it edited much?
It's been 18 years! I quite honestly don't remember that much but the feeling I get is that Montage stays true to the concert experience. Except for that guy with no singing voice whatsoever standing next to me and destroying Footsteps.

retrofuturist

#47 Post by retrofuturist » Mon 24 Apr 2017, 7:12 am

Greetings,
Drem wrote:
Sun 16 Apr 2017, 7:15 am
telys wrote:
Sat 15 Apr 2017, 9:14 pm
Your early stuff is only listenable in the instrumental version. Why write a song for the fans about things you heard about yourself from people who evidently hardly ever heard about you?... and then put it on an album when it clearly is a goofy b-side.
I actually think it was single-worthy.
Hell no. Even Yesterday When I Was Mad was questionable as a single when it covered similar terrain back in 1994.

Retro. :)

Actually

#48 Post by Actually » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 8:43 pm

The Performance arrangement of Always on my mind is no doubt my best ever live version of this epic. The sequencing at the end is just sublime.
They're always going to play this in concerts but I feel it's been diluted as time goes on....although saying that, love the additional sound effects Neil sings in the current Super Tour version!
I'm too weak to be strong

Nervously

#49 Post by Nervously » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 11:50 pm

retrofuturist wrote:
Mon 24 Apr 2017, 7:12 am
Greetings,
Drem wrote:
Sun 16 Apr 2017, 7:15 am
telys wrote:
Sat 15 Apr 2017, 9:14 pm
Your early stuff is only listenable in the instrumental version. Why write a song for the fans about things you heard about yourself from people who evidently hardly ever heard about you?... and then put it on an album when it clearly is a goofy b-side.
I actually think it was single-worthy.
Hell no. Even Yesterday When I Was Mad was questionable as a single when it covered similar terrain back in 1994.

I don't understand your reasoning. Both songs have absolutely brilliant lyrics and are among my favourite two or three songs on their respective albums.

retrofuturist

#50 Post by retrofuturist » Fri 28 Apr 2017, 1:19 am

Greetings,
Nervously wrote:
Thu 27 Apr 2017, 11:50 pm
I don't understand your reasoning. Both songs have absolutely brilliant lyrics and are among my favourite two or three songs on their respective albums.
My point is that they're both songs about the trials and tribulations of being a pop star...

Much like how Ego Music and How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously are both about slagging off other pop stars...

Much like how Beautiful People, Shameless, Flamboyant etc. are all about the lifestyles of socialites, celebrities and those who don't need to worry about earning a wage.

Thematically, it is well-worn ground, and Your Early Stuff is far too self-indulgent (and musically uninteresting) to have the kind of broad appeal you would seek from a single.

Nervously

#51 Post by Nervously » Fri 28 Apr 2017, 8:23 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Fri 28 Apr 2017, 1:19 am
Greetings,
Nervously wrote:
Thu 27 Apr 2017, 11:50 pm
My point is that they're both songs about the trials and tribulations of being a pop star...

Much like how Ego Music and How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously are both about slagging off other pop stars...

Much like how Beautiful People, Shameless, Flamboyant etc. are all about the lifestyles of socialites, celebrities and those who don't need to worry about earning a wage.

Thematically, it is well-worn ground, and Your Early Stuff is far too self-indulgent (and musically uninteresting) to have the kind of broad appeal you would seek from a single.

Thanks for the well-reasoned response. You may have a point, it was really telys's more over-the-top dismissal that disgruntled me.

Drem

#52 Post by Drem » Sat 08 Jul 2017, 7:01 pm

Whoa, didn't posted here for a long time since I've finally got a new job!
retrofuturist wrote:
Fri 28 Apr 2017, 1:19 am

But let me note that, firstly, your judgement about this song is subjective (and I don't think I can agree with your point of view wholeheartedly, while I respect it, of course). For me, "Yesterday, when I was mad" was nothing but brilliant song and single, and still "Your early stuff" don't sounds for my ears as blatant self-repetition, it's like we'll say that every song about love and relations is such threadbare theme - yet people around the world still writing songs about that and singing them every single second.

And, secondly, let's face the fact: nowadays Pet Shop Boys releasing singles mostly for their loyal (i.e., non-casual "I like West End girls and It's a sin!", not for "only early stuff" listeners) fans. And being one of them, I admire that and adore Neil and Chris for every new single, even the songs that I may not like. It could be quite curious to see this song released as single: sure, it could anger some casual listeners and even some critics, but is this something that ever backed Boys off from releasing anything? Some of even younger bands gave up on releasing anything bigger than just a couple of single-track digital singles, because it so safe!
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

synthpopfan

#53 Post by synthpopfan » Sun 09 Jul 2017, 12:27 am

The versions finally released on Montage had tons post-production and programming as compared to the version truly performed on tour. One only needs to listen to the live 1999 webcast from Atlanta to hear the (major) differences.