Trying to be fair about the level of PSB's music nowadays

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

Trying to be fair about the level of PSB's music nowadays

#1 Post by Nickname »

I think the level of the new tracks (Super's álbum) is quite good. In my opinion, "Super" is a very enjoyable album. Some songs are betther than the others but you can say PSB are in form.

Are PSB able to create new "classics"?. When I say "classic", I define it like a song everyone (even casual fans or non casual fans) can appreciate (I'm not talking about successful) with a powerful verses and chorus, big production and well built structure

- I don't see any classic in "Super".

- In "Electric", I know PSB think "Vocal" is a classic but the level of the song it's similar to "It's alright" and PSB knows pretty well "Vocal" is a re-work of "It's alright". I like "Thursday" and I think is a really good pop song but the production is quite weak and it the verses are not particulary interesting, "Love is a bourgeois construct" sounds and old versión of "Go West" with no chorus.

- In "Elysium", there are no classics either.

- In "Yes" there is a classic and it's called "All over the world" (specially the EP's versión). "Love, etc" is frankly good but I don't see it as a classic.

- For me, "Fundamental" had another classic. I know everyone was crazy with "Integral" (which it's a really good song, superb) but for me, the real classic was "TSAGS" (because of the reasons I gave above). You can appreciate that when you go to a PSB concert with this tour, people get crazy with the song (even non fans), the chorus is really catchy.

- "Release", no classics.

- "Nightlife", I think "New York City Boy" is a classic.

- "Bilingual", I think "Se a vida e" is a classic

- "Very", of course "Go West" is a big classic. "Can you forgive her?" is amazing but not a classic.

- "Behaviour", I think you can consider "Being Boring" a classic because of the lyrics, I'm not sure you can consider it because of the song itself.

- "Introspective", of course "Left To My Own Devices" is a big classic and "Domino Dancing" too. Apart from that, the single version of "Always on my Mind" is obviously a big classic.

- "Actually", "It's a sin" of course and "What have I done to deserve this?", "Heart" is a minor classic.

- "Please", of course "West End Girls" and "Suburbia" (specially the videomix version or the full horror mix from "Disco").

Of course, it's a humble opinion but I think PSB are not able to create a classic since "TSAGS".

So I can rate them nowadays: 6 / 10 but not more.
Last edited by Nickname on Sun 23 Apr 2017, 10:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

y3potential

Re: Trying to be fair about the level of PSB's music nowadays

#2 Post by y3potential »

"Vocal" is a re-work of "Vocal"................ I think you may have made a "classic" error there.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Nickname

#3 Post by Nickname »

y3potential wrote: Tue 07 Mar 2017, 3:23 pm "Vocal" is a re-work of "Vocal"
Edited

Dog

#4 Post by Dog »

I don't think you can reasonably say that All Over The World and The Sodom And Gomorrah Show are classics but The Pop Kids, Vocal and Leaving aren't. You are simply expressing personal preference. These tracks and others stand up comparably against their classic big hits.
Woof.

Nickname

#5 Post by Nickname »

Dog wrote: Tue 07 Mar 2017, 3:50 pm I don't think you can reasonably say that All Over The World and The Sodom And Gomorrah Show are classics but The Pop Kids, Vocal and Leaving aren't. You are simply expressing personal preference. These tracks and others stand up comparably against their classic big hits.
Is "It's alritght" a classic?, I don't think people can say it is. "Vocal" is just the same structure.

I explained that I consider a classic and my reasons, not only a matter of personal taste.

Markpro

#6 Post by Markpro »

Classic PSB means different things to different people, most would name West End Girls as a classic and it probably is, but if i tell the man on the street The Way It Used To Be is a classic he'll shrug his shoulders, i just like what i like...whether people class it as classic or not is up to them.
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

Dog

#7 Post by Dog »

nickname wrote:I explained that I consider a classic and my reasons, not only a matter of personal taste.
Yes - you might think you are being objective but you can't then reasonably pick out two album tracks as the only examples of classics from the last 17 years.
Woof.

fac23

#8 Post by fac23 »

Markpro wrote: Tue 07 Mar 2017, 4:13 pm Classic PSB means different things to different people
Exactly. Whether anything post "Go West" (maybe "Sé a vida é") is a classic is certainly debatable. I think New York city boy, AOTW and Thursday (and Winner, for that matter) are just awful, failed attempts at hits – the worst kind, really. To be honest, when Go West and Sé a vida é were released I was embarrassed by them, too. Only their success kind of legitimised them for me. Go West recorded and released right now would just be a sad Village People cover version. The right timing made it a classic. TSAGS and Integral could have used better production, meaning some additional work on structure and less reliance on bombast – no classics here.

If classic is defined as "fitting on a compilation containing one or two of the most successful/or best tracks, preferably singles from each album that also add a unique/important piece to the PSB picture" I agree there aren't many real contenders from both Release (H&D maybe) and Super. All other albums contain at least one track that would fit that definition, IMO.

Defining a "classic" as a track every fan likes won't yield any classics at all, I am afraid. Heck, there are Depeche Mode fans who dislike Enjoy The Silence.

sharky

#10 Post by sharky »

And a classic need also time to become... a classic

And as many says, it's too personal

Nickname

#11 Post by Nickname »

fac23 wrote: Tue 07 Mar 2017, 4:56 pm Heck, there are Depeche Mode fans who dislike Enjoy The Silence.
Don't you think you can consider it a classic, anyway?, I don't think the fact some many DM's fans dislike "Enjoy the Silence" can be a good reason.

minimal

#12 Post by minimal »

There haven't been any PSB classics for 17 years except for "Love etc." which has got a clever melody, witty lyrics, and a brilliant video clip. Also, it's their last sincere top 20 hit and a song that lasted for months in the German top 15 single charts. It encouraged young (b/w 15 and 20 years old) folks and basically new listeners to discover and listen to and buy PSB music. Thus, the song managed to reach a brand new audience. No other PSB single during the last 17 years shows all these characteristics.

80s: West End Girls
90s: Go west
00s: Love etc.

That's it, basically. These are the PSB classics in terms of 'decades'.

m+

DJ Pat

#13 Post by DJ Pat »

It is all personal preferences, obviously.

I am so bored of Love etc, it clunks along for far too long. Didn't even like it on first release.

Sure ain't a classic

Danimal

#14 Post by Danimal »

My wife, who is not a fan but has been regularly exposed to PSB for 20 years, thinks Electric is far and away the best thing they've done since their classic era. She said if they had done things like Electric over the last 20 years (which in her estimation is not twee like a lot of their output) they would have been much, much bigger in the US.

telys

#15 Post by telys »

Trying to be fair about the level of PSB's music nowadays, well they still have a coherent album to make. They continue to put pure b-side-material (Happiness, Ego music etc) and songs not fitting the album mood (Face like that is an Electric song not an Elysium one). On the other hand with Super we got a handful of amazing b-sides (Wiedersehen, In bits, White dress, Dead can dance) which, for me, puts them back to the standard of 86-88.

Talking about classics: Electric the album could be considered a classic together with the four centerpieces of PSB back catalogue: Actually, Introspective, Behaviour and Very. Personally I would like to add Fundamental and Yes to the list but looking at it objectively they don't fit.

PSB right now: 9/10, only thing lacking from being a 10: release more material (concerts!)
----
You've got me all wrong